News Queensland Hub - The AFL puts a line through Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan started off well with his governance at the time of the initial lockdown, so much so he was probably leading the pack in relation to other state premiers.
Unfortunately for him, things have gone seriously awry, and know this may well cost him his job.

Yeah. The Quartine Hotels where a Complete F**k Up

It's confirmed Cairns will host two teams and have three games at Cazaly's Stadium. It's yet to be confirmed which teams. I'm hoping it's Collingwood but its probably doubtful. I'm stoked we're getting some footy!

SD. We had school called off and all concerts and sporting events cancelled but other than that, nothing has completely closed and we've been fine. I'm still wearing a mask everywhere and working from home and I think mandatory masks are worth enforcing but we've been fine despite the media saying we're all going to die for not completely shutting down. We even had a massive case rise in a meat packing plant that only resulted in like 1 death. Our state government has been following the advice of the main healthcare outfit of the state and it's going pretty well.

On the other hand high population states like California and Florida are still on lockdown especially after all the protests/riots/whatever. I attribute it to our state being sparsely populated and relatively anti-social but also we're used to being crammed indoors since we spend 6 months of the year at below freezing temperatures anyway so you can't just go outside whenever you want. For us this is just an extended normal winter except we don't have to shovel our driveways or start our cars early every morning to go to work.

I wish we could close our borders to other states completely but everyone has a stick up their ass about that. 'Merica and what not.

How did Queensland manage to keep their cases so low? They've even got us beat with about 5.5x the population (granted they are 10x the area).

Sounds about like what's happened in Finland. The media will tell you Finland took "drastic" or "draconian" measures but in reality nothing really that drastic occured. Restaurants went to takeout only, the county the capital is in was isolated from the rest of the country, and a number of large indoor gatherings were prohibited. Retail was never closed. Some stores observed limited hours because of lack of customers. People flocked to parks.

Then nothing happened. Eventually they reopened Helsinki county because they couldn't justify keeping it closed. On June first every practical restriction was removed. On July first gatherings of up to 500 were allowed, on August first itll be up to 5,000. For all intents and purposes the virus is over here.

It may come back but then we'll do it all again I suppose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back