Local Queensland Womens Footy - General Discussion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure where to put this- but, since many are amazed by the very high participation rates of female AF in Qld, this thread is appropriate.

GR AF is very weak in regional & rural Qld. (excluding coastal areas). Some Qld. regional & rural areas are offering one free Auskick session to boys & girls- no limitations on who can join.
I am aware many AF Clubs offer free registration for kid to play full H & A competition AF and/or Auskick- if parents can prove they are experiencing financial hardship eg on unemployment New Start payments, copies of most recent Tax returns etc.

Roma is. 470 kms from Brisbane, pop. c.6900.

I wonder how often one free, no restrictions, Auskick, has been offered in Qld. & NSW?

https://www.aflq.com.au/event/roma-nab-afl-auskick-centre-come-try-sessions/

Last edited:

jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Not sure where to put this- but, since many are amazed by the very high participation rates of female AF in Qld, this thread is appropriate.

GR AF is very weak in regional & rural Qld. (excluding coastal areas). Some Qld. regional & rural areas are offering one free Auskick session to boys & girls- no limitations on who can join.
I am aware many AF Clubs offer free registration for kid to play full H & A competition AF and/or Auskick- if parents can prove they are experiencing financial hardship eg on unemployment New Start payments, copies of most recent Tax returns etc.

Roma is. 470 kms from Brisbane, pop. c.6900.

I wonder how often one free, no restrictions, Auskick, has been offered in Qld. & NSW?

https://www.aflq.com.au/event/roma-nab-afl-auskick-centre-come-try-sessions/
Trials seem sensible in a region where most parents have little exposure to the sport. I can imagine people reluctant to pay up front for something they are unfamiliar with.

Grav

Premiership Player
May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Womens football in Toowoomba is beginning to really blossom, with some outstanding performers.
One in particular & I’ll stick my neck on the chopping block here & say she is going to turn into something special is 15yo Molly Fraser, moved from defence to the forward line & is making every post a winner. Strong mark with a beautiful accurate left foot, kicked 9 last weekend, which is not bad for a young lass playing in the seniors.

TWLS

All Australian
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants

TWLS

All Australian
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Womens footy from a different angle.
Two Brazilian Students take up footy umpiring in a unusual move, and it is not known if they are returning to Brazil after graduation.

GC2015

Club Legend
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

This is probably a really good thing for the local AFLQW to allow girls to build form in the local league and genuinely earn AFLW selection, instead of just guessing which player would best replace an injured teammate.

Lensen

You've ruined the act, GOB
Feb 23, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Its great for the two aflw clubs and probably horrendous for everyone else who has to put up with extremely fluctuating quality of teams over the entire competition, given not only differences week to week with who is dropped but you'll also then have them all join in the comp a month or so after the AFLW season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom