Local Queensland Womens Footy - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure where to put this- but, since many are amazed by the very high participation rates of female AF in Qld, this thread is appropriate.

GR AF is very weak in regional & rural Qld. (excluding coastal areas). Some Qld. regional & rural areas are offering one free Auskick session to boys & girls- no limitations on who can join.
I am aware many AF Clubs offer free registration for kid to play full H & A competition AF and/or Auskick- if parents can prove they are experiencing financial hardship eg on unemployment New Start payments, copies of most recent Tax returns etc.

Roma is. 470 kms from Brisbane, pop. c.6900.

I wonder how often one free, no restrictions, Auskick, has been offered in Qld. & NSW?

https://www.aflq.com.au/event/roma-nab-afl-auskick-centre-come-try-sessions/

Last edited:
Not sure where to put this- but, since many are amazed by the very high participation rates of female AF in Qld, this thread is appropriate.

GR AF is very weak in regional & rural Qld. (excluding coastal areas). Some Qld. regional & rural areas are offering one free Auskick session to boys & girls- no limitations on who can join.
I am aware many AF Clubs offer free registration for kid to play full H & A competition AF and/or Auskick- if parents can prove they are experiencing financial hardship eg on unemployment New Start payments, copies of most recent Tax returns etc.

Roma is. 470 kms from Brisbane, pop. c.6900.

I wonder how often one free, no restrictions, Auskick, has been offered in Qld. & NSW?

https://www.aflq.com.au/event/roma-nab-afl-auskick-centre-come-try-sessions/
Trials seem sensible in a region where most parents have little exposure to the sport. I can imagine people reluctant to pay up front for something they are unfamiliar with.

Womens football in Toowoomba is beginning to really blossom, with some outstanding performers.
One in particular & I’ll stick my neck on the chopping block here & say she is going to turn into something special is 15yo Molly Fraser, moved from defence to the forward line & is making every post a winner. Strong mark with a beautiful accurate left foot, kicked 9 last weekend, which is not bad for a young lass playing in the seniors.

Great article on a grassroots Womens Footy Club in QLD.
From 2 players on day one has grown to 120 and is still growing and are part of the 110,000 plus female players up there in a Rugby League State heartland.

Womens footy from a different angle.
Two Brazilian Students take up footy umpiring in a unusual move, and it is not known if they are returning to Brazil after graduation.

This is probably a really good thing for the local AFLQW to allow girls to build form in the local league and genuinely earn AFLW selection, instead of just guessing which player would best replace an injured teammate.

Its great for the two aflw clubs and probably horrendous for everyone else who has to put up with extremely fluctuating quality of teams over the entire competition, given not only differences week to week with who is dropped but you'll also then have them all join in the comp a month or so after the AFLW season

This is a good news story about Womens footy in spades.
The Club - Garbutt Bombers are located in Townsville and have been running Juniors for a while.
They have not had a Senior team (Male or Female) since 1988
However all is about to change- A Senior Womens team is about to join the Townsville League this season, and is a reflection of the growth up there.
Why no Male team we do not know but the Women are setting the pace in Townsville and everywhere else in Australia providing a boost to our game.
Perhaps this may encourage the men to put a team together - That will be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Big boosts for female AF in Qld.:-

. 7k+ crowd for Suns AFLW game v. Richmond.
Very good crowd for Metricon, & a new, inexperienced team.

.15 Suns' players, in their winning team, are Qld. locals
(K. Brennan, also, in RFC is from Qld. originally)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of footy people believe Queensland has the second strongest women's state league (behind Victoria) in all of Australia and the results to date seem to suggest that is true. With the exception of last season, Brisbane have sat in a top 2/3 position for their entire existence and we (Gold Coast) are now also sitting in a top 3 position. Obviously a turn out of 7k is really good for any expansion side but it shows the GC locals are invested in their women's team and many people thought that wouldn't be the case. Definitely helps that there are no other professional women's sporting teams based on the Gold Coast and the local pathways aren't losing their best athletes to netball, cricket, basketball, rugby etc. If anything, we are probably recruiting female athletes from other sports more than ever because we can offer a professional sporting environment like no other sporting pathway on the Gold Coast. We're having regular female participation increases of more than 20% year on year so the game is growing at a fast rate up here.

The future of women's footy is definitely bright in the sunny state!

This is a good news story about Womens footy in spades.
The Club - Garbutt Bombers are located in Townsville and have been running Juniors for a while.
I was in Townsville in 2019. I spoke to some locals, & was surprised that female AF had been played in some Townsville schools for c.7 years.
I knew the Cairns district had a strong AF male & female competition presence- but its healthy niche following (with many Club teams also) in Townsville was a revelation. RL, though, dominates the sporting & water-cooler psyche in Townsville.

A lot of footy people believe Queensland has the second strongest women's state league (behind Victoria) in all of Australia and the results to date seem to suggest that is true.
Do you have much direct involvement in club or school AF on the GC, or other parts of Qld.?

It is true that female AF is very strong in Qld., & it is only second to Vic. in female player quality.

Female contact RL & RU are growing strongly in Qld., off a small base. How big do you think they will become (ie not including female touch or tag, which are huge)? And will they challenge female AF in the next 10 years for players?

Qld. has had larger club & school female AF nos. than Vic. until 2017- as it is a RL state, with a smaller population than Vic., this is amazing. Any theories to explain this phenomenon?

Last edited:
I was in Townsville in 2019. I spoke to some locals, & was surprised that female AF had been played in some Townsville schools for c.7 years.
I knew the Cairns district had a strong AF male & female competition presence- but its healthy niche following (with many Club teams also) in Townsville was a revelation. RL, though, dominates the sporting & water-cooler psyche in Townsville.

Do you have much direct involvement in club or school AF on the GC, or other parts of Qld.?

It is true that female AF is very strong in Qld., & it is only second to Vic. in female player quality.

Female contact RL & RU are growing strongly in Qld., off a small base. How big do you think they will become (ie not including female touch or tag, which are huge)? And will they challenge female AF in the next 10 years for players?

Qld. has had larger club & school female AF nos. than Vic. until 2017- as it is a RL state, with a smaller population than Vic., this is amazing. Any theories to explain this phenomenon?
Answering the question about the future of the Womens game in QLD vs the Womens Rugby Codes can be found partly in the posters GC2015 post about the Gold Coast.
No other Womens professional teams on the GC maybe a clue -Lots of clear air for our game.
However that is not the case in the rest of QLD and RL is spread all over up there, so it gets back to personal choice in the end.
As we keep saying we just want our share but what share is undetermined to this point. It is very fluid.

Female GR AF is booming in Qld.
42% of GR regd. "participants" are female in Qld.- this would exceed the Vic. female % of "participants". Vic., however, would still probably have the highest no. of female Club comp. players.

I suspect that the high no. of female players that Redcliffe FC (far nthn. Brisbane) have was a significant contribution to their new Council & State funded facility- $18m !

Last edited:
1. NITV 23.3.21
(Thought I would put this here, as GCFC now counts the NT a part of their Zone).

Tiwi Islands women's AF team is joining the women's AFLNT comp.

Enjoy.

(From Wookie's sportindustry.com)

I assume the Fed. or NT govt. is paying for the airfare etc. costs to Darwin.

EDIT:

2. abc.net S. Vivian 13.2.21

NT govt. still very keen to get their own AFL team, eventually- but "commercial viability" recognised as the biggest problem.

Last edited:
Womens Footy in South East Queensland in 2021 continues its expansion program with 7 new teams added to the QFAW. This comp has now grown to 3 Zones in 2 Divisions.
The big question is how long can this growth rate continue - Will a population limit on the pool of players eventually kick in and slow things down because there are obviously other Womens sports up there.
Also the Mackay AFL Comp will for the first time have all of their Clubs field Men and Womens teams.

The Qld. female GR AF juggernaut continues to roll on- new Qld. record of female club player nos. being set in 2022.

Also, on 2.7.22, the first women's Nth Qld vs Sth Qld. rep match was played.
The Nth Qld. team, who never had a chance to train as a team together, before flying into the Gold Coast, won !
Sth Qld did not select QAFLW players.

(Scroll to my post 15.7.22)

Queensland won the girls U15 Championships, not dropping a game.

Not easy finding any information about the Championships, games or the teams.

Queensland won the girls U15 Championships, not dropping a game.

Not easy finding any information about the Championships, games or the teams.
R1 - Queensland 9.6 (60) def. Victoria 4.3 (27)
R2 - Queensland 21.17 (143) def. ACT 0.0 (0)
R3 - Queensland 6.6 (42) def. South Australia 1.2 (8)
R4 - Queensland 6.6 (42) def. NSW 2.0 (12)
R5 - Queensland 3.11 (29) def. Western Australia 3.3 (21)

Final standings
  1. Queensland 5-0
  2. Western Australia 3-2
  3. South Australia 3-2
  4. Victoria 2-3
  5. NSW 2-3
  6. ACT 0-5
Apparently Gold Coaster Sunny Lappin, daughter of Matthew 'Skinny' Lappin, was very good for Queensland's victorious team.

R1 - Queensland 9.6 (60) def. Victoria 4.3 (27)
R2 - Queensland 21.17 (143) def. ACT 0.0 (0)
R3 - Queensland 6.6 (42) def. South Australia 1.2 (8)
R4 - Queensland 6.6 (42) def. NSW 2.0 (12)
R5 - Queensland 3.11 (29) def. Western Australia 3.3 (21)

Final standings
  1. Queensland 5-0
  2. Western Australia 3-2
  3. South Australia 3-2
  4. Victoria 2-3
  5. NSW 2-3
  6. ACT 0-5
Apparently Gold Coaster Sunny Lappin, daughter of Matthew 'Skinny' Lappin, was very good for Queensland's victorious team.
Yeah, I saw the scores and standings, but couldn’t find squad lists.

Can’t find the AA team either.

Same with the boys. Was told 6 QLD boys made the AA squad, 4 from the Lions, one of which won the medal for best player of the tournament, and he’s a bottom ager (14 year old).

Yeah, I saw the scores and standings, but couldn’t find squad lists.

Can’t find the AA team either.

Same with the boys. Was told 6 QLD boys made the AA squad, 4 from the Lions, one of which won the medal for best player of the tournament, and he’s a bottom ager (14 year old).
Not sure about team lists or AA teams but the player that won the best and fairest medal for the tournament appears to be named Harrison Bridge.

Queensland footy has come a long way to achieve these kinds of results!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back