Question about Free Kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why the grand final can never be played anywhere other than the MCG.
Imagine if this umpiring cost a team a flag.
Clearly the AFL engineering home wins for WA teams to ensure they keep filling the new ground.

Wasn't the crowd being loud tonight because there wasn't a peep out of them after the onslaught begun. Genuinely shafted by three West Australian umpires in a legitimate attempt to rig the game that obviously wasn't nearly enough to cover up for the eagles' ineptitude.

In the future don't let Margetts and Williamson umpire games that involve West Coast it's just asking for trouble. 33-17 frees despite getting smashed in the contests and in the scoreboard? Yeah righto
We had two locals officiating our game at Optus and received just one free kick in an entire half of football. Not sure that would have happened too often before.

Contested possessions: Essendon 143 - West Coast 127
Clearances: Essendon 40 - West Coast 32
Disposals: Essendon 392 - West Coast 319
Tackles: West Coast 65 - Essendon 61

Yet, free kicks were West coast 33 to Essendon 17. It does not seem to matter what the above figures look like for the opposition. Either way, they tend to get smashed in the free kick count.

Since Round 1 against Sydney (free kicks were 20-28 Sydney's way), their free kicks in Perth have been:

26-18 against Geelong
28-19 against Gold Coast
22-20 against Fremantle
30-13 against Port Adelaide
21-10 against Richmond
25-12 against St Kilda
33-17 against Essendon

Only the Fremantle game is alright and they share the home ground with them. There were stages where I felt like the umpires were scanning the entire field only try and spot Essendon infringements. Off-the-ball, with the ball, in a marking contest. Anything that would result in West Coast getting the ball.

Yet, away from home their free kicks are:

18-19 Bulldog's way
16-25 Carlton's way
20-16 West Coast's way against GWS
23-19 Hawthorn's way
27-27 against Sydney

All of a sudden they are not a completely disciplined side and give away a reasonable amount of free kicks. Also, their opposition are suddenly not this undisciplined side that barely can get the ball without infringing. I just don't understand what it is with Perth that gives them all of these free kicks that they don't get away from it. I don't think it was the crowd either because Essendon silenced the majority of them, yet still got smashed in free kicks.

Yet, free kicks were West coast 33 to Essendon 17. It does not seem to matter what the above figures look like for the opposition. Either way, they tend to get smashed in the free kick count.

Since Round 1 against Sydney (free kicks were 20-28 Sydney's way), their free kicks in Perth have been:

26-18 against Geelong
28-19 against Gold Coast
22-20 against Fremantle
21-10 against Richmond
25-12 against St Kilda
33-17 against Essendon

Only the Fremantle game is alright and they share the home ground with them. There were stages where I felt like the umpires were scanning the entire field only try and spot Essendon infringements. Off-the-ball, with the ball, in a marking contest. Anything that would result in West Coast getting the ball.

18-19 Bulldog's way
16-25 Carlton's way
23-19 Hawthorn's way
27-27 against Sydney

All of a sudden they are not a completely disciplined side and give away a reasonable amount of free kicks. Also, their opposition are suddenly not this undisciplined side that barely can get the ball without infringing. I just don't understand what it is with Perth that gives them all of these free kicks that they don't get away from it. I don't think it was the crowd either because Essendon silenced the majority of them, yet still got smashed in free kicks.

having it typed out like that is actually ******* embarrassing for the AFL.

total of 205-137 free kicks for west cost at Perth this year.

thats a disgrace

You would think after the media outrage after the St Klida v West Coast game the umpire's would be on notice. The win was gifted to the Eagle's after some clearly biased umpiring. Then we have to sit through last night's rort. It is actually impossible to get a free against the Eagles for holding the ball over there while other team's are reamed.

Here's the current Free Kick ladder, including last night's game:

1.West Coast +55 (302 for, 247 against)
2.Collingwood +51 (276, 225)
3.North Melbourne +47 (289, 242)
4.Western Bulldogs +37 (267, 230)
4.Adelaide +37 (265, 228)
6.Brisbane Lions +30 (279, 249)
7.Carlton +20 (276, 256)
8.Hawthorn +12 (263, 251)
9.Melbourne +2 (256, 254)
10.Geelong -5 (292, 297)
11.Gold Coast -19 (269, 288)
12.Sydney -24 (271, 295)
13.Port Adelaide -25 (250, 275)
14.Essendon -33 (246, 282)
15.St Kilda -34 (243, 277)
16.Fremantle -39 (235, 274)
17.GWS -40 (223, 263)
18.Richmond -70 (243, 313)

Here's the current Free Kick ladder, including last night's game:

1.West Coast +55 (302 for, 247 against)
2.Collingwood +51 (276, 225)
3.North Melbourne +47 (289, 242)
4.Western Bulldogs +37 (267, 230)
4.Adelaide +37 (265, 228)
6.Brisbane Lions +30 (279, 249)
7.Carlton +20 (276, 256)
8.Hawthorn +12 (263, 251)
9.Melbourne +2 (256, 254)
10.Geelong -5 (292, 297)
11.Gold Coast -19 (269, 288)
12.Sydney -24 (271, 295)
13.Port Adelaide -25 (250, 275)
14.Essendon -33 (246, 282)
15.St Kilda -34 (243, 277)
16.Fremantle -39 (235, 274)
17.GWS -40 (223, 263)
18.Richmond -70 (243, 313)
Top 3 having better than expected seasons...

26-18 against Geelong
28-19 against Gold Coast
22-20 against Fremantle
21-10 against Richmond
25-12 against St Kilda
33-17 against Essendon

18-19 Bulldog's way
16-25 Carlton's way
23-19 Hawthorn's way
27-27 against Sydney

Fremantle had momentum in that game until the second quarter where Margetts began to sway the game with iffy decisions - later in the game, when the damage was done and Freo had lost their key forward, he tried to make things look less obvious on paper - Freo only lost the match by ten points - Margetts shouldn't be allowed to umpire derbies either. He clearly can't be unbiased.

fair to say this backfired AFL...

Three WA umpires appointed to look after West Coast v Essendon at Optus Stadium on Thursday
Staff writersThe West Australian
Wednesday, 20 June 2018 2:58PM
1529470742642_G131MDHV4.1-2.jpg

Dean Margetts will be one of three WA umpires in control of West Coast v Essendon.Picture: Steve Ferrier/The West Australian.
The AFL umpiring appointments for Thursday night’s match at Optus Stadium indicate that the league is supremely confident the alleged home crowd free kick bias in Perth doesn’t exist.

The Eagles’ ability to receive free kicks against visiting teams became a hot topic of conversation after a 25-12 count against St Kilda in round 11.

Excluding the derby, that took their season free kick tally at Optus Stadium this season to 150-101.

The noise of affirmation has been widely discussed as a potential reason for the lopsided count as huge crowds put pressure on umpires to pay certain decisions.

But the AFL’s response has been to appoint three West Australians to officiate in the match between West Coast and Essendon at Optus Stadium.

Experienced WA whistleblowers Dean Margetts and Jeff Dalgleish will be joined by another local, Nathan Williamson, and South Australian Craig Fleer.

While the decision could raise eyebrows, it could be the answer to the problem.

The Eagles have played two home games this season where two West Australians have umpired and the free kick tally from those matches is 41-38.

The stats from matches where only one local blew the whistle is 53-31. It is 56-32 in games where no West Australian has umpired.

The Bombers have been on the wrong end of free kick tallies this season and will enter the game at 229-251.

We’re anticipating the free kick stats could attract more attention than anything else that happens in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle had momentum in that game until the second quarter where Margetts began to sway the game with iffy decisions - later in the game, when the damage was done and Freo had lost their key forward, he tried to make things look less obvious on paper - Freo only lost the match by ten points - Margetts shouldn't be allowed to umpire derbies either. He clearly can't be unbiased.
I remember hearing something about umpiring against Fremantle stifling their momentum in the derby. It is just strange that a team is so dominant in free kicks at home compared to playing away. The way they are judged everywhere else other than Perth this year just does not support the lopsided free kicks they get in Perth.

Essendon played hard but undisciplined footy. Some people are reading too much into this again

What game did you watch?..

2 pressure kicks out of the middle defensive half back strayed out of bounds, both called deliberate, one call before the ball even bounced out of bounds..This occured many times and quite a few calls in the eagles forward half of the ground to their advantage, bizare...

both teams were playing hard football, just let the play go and pay the obvious calls.

I could not believe last night’s umpiring.

Umpires tried every bloody trick in the book to get West Coast the win but west coast just couldn’t kick straight.

I don’t blame Essendon supporters for being angry at all, it was ridiculous.

Umpires tried every bloody trick in the book to get West Coast the win but west coast just couldn’t kick straight.

Worst of all, it's been like this all year

I remember hearing something about umpiring against Fremantle stifling their momentum in the derby. It is just strange that a team is so dominant in free kicks at home compared to playing away. The way they are judged everywhere else other than Perth this year just does not support the lopsided free kicks they get in Perth.
The main offender is Margetts - how the AFL have allowed his bias is disgraceful. He was originally listed as an 'emergency' last night, but somehow got the main position.

Hard to watch at times. The Eagles clearly get every 50/50 their way and often get some shockers their way too, not even mentioning the count. It is beyond reasonable doubt now.

I hate Essendon quite a lot, I was shouting like a Bombers fan at some of the decisions. Classic AFL though really and the media silence makes it even worse.
You know this is a real thing when Carlton supporters are coming out in support of Essendon.

The amount of neutral fans enraged about it tells the tale. SEN is being smashed with it this morning too.

Lopsided free kick counts you can cop, when the team first to the ball is getting them. A differential like that when the team is being smashed is inexplicable

The problem is that it isn’t deliberate.

Studies into premier league soccer show that the home team are awarded 66% of penalties.

When you have a full stadium roaring as one for decisions, a referee will give those iffy frees that they let go.

West Coast has the biggest and loudest home fans, and it is intimidating and does influence umpires.

The umpires aren’t deliberately going out and deciding to give the Eagles a leg up.
Wait what?

Last night the crowd was silenced by the first quarter.

We are the knitting nannas according to freo.

The biggest and loudest home fans?

Adelaide, port, freo might have something to say about that.

I actually agree that something needs to be done - its frees that we get that other teams dont.

But your reasoning as to why is wrong.

And its interstate umpires that give us the biggest margin - not the home ground umps.

I look forward to a day where drones umpire

Even in the Carlton game last weekend, as poorly as they played, they received more free kicks than Freo - think they had double the number by half time, but the end of the game showed a 3 kick difference (still favouring Carlton) - Margetts was the umpire!

This is why the grand final can never be played anywhere other than the MCG.
Imagine if this umpiring cost a team a flag.
Clearly the AFL engineering home wins for WA teams to ensure they keep filling the new ground every second week.
EFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back