Question about Free Kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

All the theories on the WC positive free kick count cant be proven either way. The noise of affirmation, booing, team success, first to the ball claims, playing styles, dominant players, techniques to draw the free etc all changes week to week and year to year. Opposition teams use the same techniques to varying degrees at various times too but without revealing any massive discrepancies to the free kick differetial long term. WC is the outlier and has been for a very long time.

So IMO its just a culture that has been developed by the umpires and theyre officiation of WC games over a period of time. The current crop of umpires (in Margetts & Dagliesh in particular and to a lesser degree Farmer, Williamson & Rosebury) just wanna dish out hand jobs constantly to WC players for some reason and they drag the rest of the umpiring fraternity down to their level when they do.

The worst thing is most WC supporters for some reason are oblivious to the favourtism they get and dismissive when it does get raised. The crowd has been conditioned to accept nothing less than the best outcome from the whistle blowers for their team. Unfortunately their core game day membership turned inbred due to the massive pressure on available seating at Subi over the last 20 years. Now the culture has spread to optus.

The fact the AFL wont acknowledge anything publicly about biased umpiring is just a standard response to not bring the games integrity into question. Althought the fact these discussions have been coming up on BF for so many years is a massive blight on the game and should be acknowledged behind the scenes with long term strategies to alleviate the issue.

So we were told last week that 'some' teams get an unbelievable run with the umpires because of dominant ruckmen and superior forwards. Maybe it was about being first to the ball. All I can remember was that we were told it's not suspious at all.

The umps have tried to do some last qtr cheapies to even it up but still.

30-17 with 10mins to play.

What's the explanation this week?

tHERE IS ONLY ONE EXPLANATION, THAT IS THAT THE RULES THE WAY THEY SIT RIGHT NOW, HAVE BECOME MUCH TOO MUCH LIKE BASKETBALL FOULS , BARELY TOUCHING AND A DECENT TACKLE BY A PLAYER TRYING TO DEFEND, WILL AT LEAST , HALF THE TIME, END UP IN A FREE KICK THAT NO ONE SEES , YET THE UMPIRING INDIVIDUAL DECIDES ON HIS OWN PERCEPTION OF A CONTACT, WHICH AT TIMES IS PERCEIVED A DIFFERENT WAY BY ANOTHER UMPIRE DOWN THE FIELD (Sorry again no looking press the caps).
The congestion is bad enough in most games in fact all games there is some congestion that looks horrible, sometimes the whole game, and a big BUT here, that is awful ... another terrible two, is the shocking barely noticeable miniscule touch frees, when a player has inertia and no way to pull up, or he reaches out desperately to scrape a finger over an opponents shoulder , and bingo there goes that sound and the games motion goes into stoppage as a free is pulled out, that is not flowing football either.

The most horrid thing spoiling our game is the waiting waiting waiting, while the ump lets a pack form and grow, into a wrestling match that looks so untidy and useless, until that umpire decides to stop the pack and ball it up.

This is not good , I hope some umps read BF because the ball needs going up in the air in an instant, unless that ump can see a free and there are lots of them in those horrible packs , as well as throwing, shuffling the ball under bodies, tapping that is getting to look like "allowed" throwing, the thing that Gerard Healy spoke about three or four weeks ago and the 28 second wait. With two frees picked out on camera even after a couple of seconds.

Right now sit back and count.. 0ne and two and three and four and five, all the way to 28 seconds, let me tell you that is a long time to let 10 or twenty blokes bog down and clog up the best game on earth.

The slimey thing about this , I guess, is the instruction from AFL to umpires to wait a bit before balling up, WHY???

And if the umps decided on this , my point again THEY ARE NOT THE GAME , THEY MUST BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD.

I don't pay for foxfooty or my membership, or tickets and whatever to see umpires rule a game , that looks very different now!

And can any one who has played footy over the last 40/50 odd years and more, can you remember the coaches cry , look for open space and run run run run, that seems to be a good way to go but umpires pull it up continually , and stop the game too much for petty petty petty infringements that turn games and create the shamozzle, our game is almost in irreversible trouble, so lets think about bringing it back to Aussie rules hey?

A billion dollar comp and the umps arent full time pros.

They need to rotate umps around more - so it costs a bit of money - whoop whoo

Well the AFL afforded GC17 and GWS. So they should hire professional umpires.

We have gone too far into the travelling coach, in the off season, when they and the AFL admin go off hunting for special but mostly bullshit ideas ,from the Americans and the basketballers and soccer and rugby nations.
If we get into the gridiron bullshit , over talk and commentator crap, which its getting close to now, and all the promotion garbage! I will quit !

Then we see this crap last night where they have the "Heat map" something like that where you can see where some player has run, who gives a rats arse, what I worry about is when the bloke finally gets a shot on goal and MISSES THEN MISSES THEN MISSES, I don't need to know if a player has run a half marathon.

All I need to know is like when Shane Crawford played and if he got tagged he'd run and run and run until his opponents heart broke, I didn't care whether he ran a mile or 500 miles , he beat his opponent and was still going strong at the end, but he was also something else besides a super fit runner!

CRAWF was a FOOTBALLER TOO.

Haha!!! Yep, isn't it funny how we're supposed to be looked after by umpires when we don't get anywhere as many free kicks as most other teams :)
Yeah but now you're bringing facts to the table ... I hear you mate - Apparently we've been given armchair ride according to many on here despite being ranked 18th in the free kick differential two years running.

Yeah but now you're bringing facts to the table ... I hear you mate - Apparently we've been given armchair ride according to many on here despite being ranked 18th in the free kick differential two years running.

I think winning premierships must have something to do with it. According to Big Footy, especially those supporters of clubs who haven't won flags in quite awhile, you only win premierships if you are lucky or have the umpires looking after you. Over the past 2 years, Bulldogs and Tiger fans have copped a taste of what it was like to be a Hawks fan between 2013 and 2015. :)

I think winning premierships must have something to do with it. According to Big Footy, especially those supporters of clubs who haven't won flags in quite awhile, you only win premierships if you are lucky or have the umpires looking after you. Over the past 2 years, Bulldogs and Tiger fans have copped a taste of what it was like to be a Hawks fan between 2013 and 2015. :)

It is a kind of confirmation bias.

Your team loses most of the 50/50 contests to the premiership team and it must be because they cheat to always win those 50/50's. (when in fact they are just better players)

That is what happened with the Hawks and Richmond at least. The bulldogs did totally get an armchair ride.

Haha!!! Yep, isn't it funny how we're supposed to be looked after by umpires when we don't get anywhere as many free kicks as most other teams :)

Except this year (so far) Hawks have received 384 Free kicks and conceded 377. Basically even.

In the Hawks 3-in-a-row era 2013-2015, they were basically even every year (2013 they lost by 3 on the whole season, other years won slightly). 2016-17 - 16 was up a bit, 17 down a bit.

Every side believes they are discriminated against, and every side is right - some weeks.

Sorry! Facts! (can't have those!). I just get so sick of the continual whinging about umpiring (my teams supporters are as bad as any other).

Thought I heard that all 3 umpires were WA umpires tonight. May be wrong but if that’s the case that’s just insane for a professional sporting organisation to give a team 3 home umpires. It’s a national competition and I believe there should be no more than 1 home state officiating umpire involved in a game. If that means the game needs more umpires or more umpires from other states then the AFL needs to get them up to speed to officiate a match and fast

It’s a national competition... but we’ll play the grand final in Victoria till 2150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back