Discussion Question and Answer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not gonna delete the posts congratulating your hard work or commenting on the 'folio because that's not really the done thing, but I can get rid of stuff that's either deleted or quoting deleted stuff. Going through it now. Cheers.

I turfed 54 posts that were redacted or off-topic. Thread looks a bit cleaner now!

Is there a correlation between:
a) guernseys and vertical stripes?
b) jerseys and horizontal stripes?

It seems that there have been many Australian Rules guernseys with vertical stripes, many rugby league jerseys with horizontal stripes, yet very few of the reverse (notable exceptions, Geelong and Newcastle).

Cheers, Lemon Boi :lemon:

It seems that there have been many Australian Rules guernseys with vertical stripes, many rugby league jerseys with horizontal stripes, yet very few of the reverse (notable exceptions, Geelong and Newcastle).

Australian rules seems to have a thing for vertical stripes.

Rugby league seems to have a thing for chevrons and butcher stripes.

Rugby union seems to have a thing for horizontal stripes.

I cannot speak for Aussie Rules guernseys, but in relation to League and Union;

Rugby union traditionally had horizontal stripes for teams all the way back to the creation of the game, most likely because it was the easiest way to display multiple colours when manufacturing the strips. League teams then continued this trend post the games creation in 1908, so the older league clubs originally also wore horizontal stripes. This then changed and league teams switched to V's to create a difference between them and their Union rivals.

I cannot speak for Aussie Rules guernseys, but in relation to League and Union;

Rugby union traditionally had horizontal stripes for teams all the way back to the creation of the game, most likely because it was the easiest way to display multiple colours when manufacturing the strips. League teams then continued this trend post the games creation in 1908, so the older league clubs originally also wore horizontal stripes. This then changed and league teams switched to V's to create a difference between them and their Union rivals.

Thanks fellers. What I probably should’ve asked was: Is the stitching of guernseys vertical, and jerseys horizontal?

Knitting generally starts at the bottom and works it's way up, making hoops easier to produce than stripes.
Aussie Rules jumpers were not stripes until the use of the lace-up canvas vest.
North, Footscray, Richmond & StKilda adopted vertical stripes around the same time, and all with the adoption of the lace-up vest.

Got this today, can anyone shed light on this 2002 EJ Whitten legends game Allies jumper? I assumed the All-stars were called Allies back then given it's a red jumper but that's not the case. Someone on a jumper buy/swap/sell page went through their 2002 EJ game record and found no mention of "Allies" anywhere. Plus no-one wore #27 for the All-stars that game. I've chucked Sherwood jumpers an e-mail but thought I'd try my luck here
Cheers!

IMG20200508123231.jpg IMG20200508123308.jpg IMG20200508141111.jpg

Got this today, can anyone shed light on this 2002 EJ Whitten legends game Allies jumper? I assumed the All-stars were called Allies back then given it's a red jumper but that's not the case. Someone on a jumper buy/swap/sell page went through their 2002 EJ game record and found no mention of "Allies" anywhere. Plus no-one wore #27 for the All-stars that game. I've chucked Sherwood jumpers an e-mail but thought I'd try my luck here
Cheers!

View attachment 872220View attachment 872219View attachment 872218
I'm guessing there was perhaps a curtain raiser game on the night or at another time, with teams made up of Masters players. (Master Rules footy is a semi-social competition for blokes over 40).

Hi all hoping one of you out can help trying to find out any information on this item please

Attachments

• 15917784509908527456645735539423.jpg
    15917784509908527456645735539423.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 195
  • 15917784764204736979870093240777.jpg
    15917784764204736979870093240777.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 200
Either from 2000. The Versace Collingwood deal was announced in June 1999 for the following season.

Versace had a brief sponsorship deal with Collingwood to provide apparel to the players and staff during the 2000 season. The tie you have above incorporates the Collingoowd, Versace and Emirates logos, these were available to the general public from the Collingwood store at Victoria Park.

Last edited:
Hi all hoping one of you out can help trying to find out any information on this item please

A bit more Info, there’s no pic but it does mention the tie that Rocca is wearing is $195. I got one of the Versace ties back then and there’s no way I would have had $195 to spend on a tie.

From the round 12 Footy Record 1999
76ba9b8eb088efc0fbfd1723e4a250e2.jpg

And North Melbourne with a response in the following week’s Round 13 Record

b9c7b65be10f71447404779e6d69405e.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G’day guys,
Im a big brisbane fan, and have wanted a replica bears guernsey for along time. I have found designs of the guernseys, but can’t find a manufacturer who is willing to replicate one for me. Any suggestions?

This guy was offering this service on eBay, but has since been taken down. Anyone know how to find him?

Attachments

• 6C131B56-FCDD-4B6D-B6D0-EECDE380522C.jpeg
    6C131B56-FCDD-4B6D-B6D0-EECDE380522C.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 135
This guy was offering this service on eBay, but has since been taken down. Anyone know how to find him?

That guy got taken down because he stole my logo (that Retro one)

But PM me, I can help you out. :)

Does anyone recognise the font used for the team names and stuff here? I’d run it through what the font but I’m using mobile. If it’s possible to take a higher quality screenshot the round 1 2020 highlights have the scores on them whereas the later rounds don’t.
0623174E-0A0F-448B-8B62-DE2F687C9F73.png

Does anyone recognise the font used for the team names and stuff here? I’d run it through what the font but I’m using mobile. If it’s possible to take a higher quality screenshot the round 1 2020 highlights have the scores on them whereas the later rounds don’t.
View attachment 933767
It looks like a derivative of Haettenschweiler.
It could be Haettenschweiler medium, or Haettenschweiler Bold, something like that.
If you wanted it, it's on this OneDrive link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak4FHnTjWwzmhMQNKE3Y3Sekp-tyJw?e=DHJyAp

View attachment 933767

Pretty sure it's Dharma Gothic.
This is my take on it anyway
Matchup_R2_Gaza.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back