Discussion Question and Answer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't quite remember how Nato found BF but I saw him making designs and thought it was pretty cool so I made an account, lurked for a couple of months until Can-Am came around and designed this monstrosity:
Cleve. Cannons (Home).png Cleve. Cannons (Away).jpg Cleve. Cannons (Alternate).jpg
Fair to say I've come a long way...

In the words of Andonis, "not bad for a first try :thumbsu:"

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades

Having a look through Melbourne's logos on footyjumpers.com (what a way to spend a Saturday night) and noticed the Dee's logo from 1995-2004

Melbourne-logo-1995.gif

Does anyone happen to know why Melbourne went ten seasons with a logo where the key elements are shrunk and submerged within a giant blue box? And why it took until 2005 for the key design element to take centre stage, rather than the huge blue box?:

Melbourne-logo-2005.gif

And while I'm on the topic of Melbourne logos, does anyone happen to know why the Demons edited their logos so frequently throughout the mid-late 2000's and early-mid 2010's? For a struggling club, a logo that could become synonymous with supporters and form a reputable brand would be needed, it would be hard to get passionate when the image and brand of the club is changing every five minutes

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Poor branding, basically. Melbourne had a vision in their head of how they wanted to market themselves, but their logo from 2011-2015 was a Homer Car which ultimately didn't do a great job of being the logo for a footy club.

I think they've gone a bit simple and boring with the monogram but that's basically a response to an incredibly busy logo that scaled really poorly. The 1995-2007 logo was pretty good but it did need to be updated.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Mero, this South Melbourne jumper popped up in my Facebook news feed and I’m a little confused. The owner says it’s from 1977, can you shed some light? footyjumpers.com has no sponsor on South’s jumper from the time

View attachment 583519
Yeah, I saw that too.
I didn't have the heart to tell the guy they only ever wore them at training.
Footy card from the era have the Swans players wearing those jumpers, but I've never seen a pic or video from a game where they have a sponsor logo before 1980.
1978_VFL-AFL_Scanlens_101_Francis_Jackson_Sydney_Swans.jpg

However, if you look in the Footy Record online, or YouTube at old videos, you never see the Swann Insurance logo on the jumpers.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=1978+south+melbourne

Yeah, I saw that too.
I didn't have the heart to tell the guy they only ever wore them at training.
Footy card from the era have the Swans players wearing those jumpers, but I've never seen a pic or video from a game where they have a sponsor logo before 1980.
1978_VFL-AFL_Scanlens_101_Francis_Jackson_Sydney_Swans.jpg

However, if you look in the Footy Record online, or YouTube at old videos, you never see the Swann Insurance logo on the jumpers.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=1978+south+melbourne

Shame that they were only worn at training, especially since the bloke went to the trouble of getting it framed. But, it's still a nice jumper.

From what I've seen, most footy card photos were taken at training. It was much easier for a photographer from a small footy card company to say 'G'day Francis, quick picture?' on a Wednesday night than try to chase up in game shots and licenses from the VFL. If it hasn't been seen in game but it is on a footy card, then it pretty much confirms that it's a training jumper

Cheers for clearing that one up though - learn something every day, don't you

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Shame that they were only worn at training, especially since the bloke went to the trouble of getting it framed. But, it's still a nice jumper.

From what I've seen, most footy card photos were taken at training. It was much easier for a photographer from a small footy card company to say 'G'day Francis, quick picture?' on a Wednesday night than try to chase up in game shots and licenses from the VFL. If it hasn't been seen in game but it is on a footy card, then it pretty much confirms that it's a training jumper

Cheers for clearing that one up though - learn something every day, don't you
People still write to me telling I'm missing it from the site.
Then they send me a picture of Francis Jackson's footy card.
Then I explain how pics were taken at training, and send them the link to YouTube videos from 1976 to 1979 showing no games where South wear a sponsor logo.
And then they stop corresponding.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
People still write to me telling I'm missing it from the site.
Then they send me a picture of Francis Jackson's footy card.
Then I explain how pics were taken at training, and send them the link to YouTube videos from 1976 to 1979 showing no games where South wear a sponsor logo.
And then they stop corresponding.
Do you plan on adding a 'Training Jumpers' section on the website sometime down the track?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you plan on adding a 'Training Jumpers' section on the website sometime down the track?

It would be near impossible to track down every training jumper though. It's incredibly hard just for match worn jumpers, even less knowledge exists of training jumpers. It's a good idea in theory but would require an almighty mountain of work.

On another note, Mero, have you considered adding umpires uniforms to the site?

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
It would be near impossible to track down every training jumper though. It's incredibly hard just for match worn jumpers, even less knowledge exists of training jumpers. It's a good idea in theory but would require an almighty mountain of work.

If he did aspire to add training jumpers to the site, if we can help him with the research that could help?

The Umpires uniforms would be easier to put into the site as there are only up to 4 shirts a year and they dont change much plus they are easy to research from footage and images

If he did aspire to add training jumpers to the site, if we can help him with the research that could help?

We could all aspire to help, but even then, some of the designs to put together would be near impossible. Imagine Mero trying to put these together:

s-l640.jpg

And because the logos of sponsors, league, clubs etc. are the main focal point of the training jumper designs, plenty of them would just be plain blue jumpers with no real design relevance

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
with the rise in AFL X, they could become important.. Speaking about AFL X, Is there a section for AFL X on the website- I do remember the Giants wearing their training guernseys in AFL X
You make it sound like AFL X was a success... :p
In all honesty, if there weren't so many different guernsey designs from the Wizard and NAB Cups, I doubt Mero would have even put them in in the first place..

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Umpire uniforms would be cool to see, they're pretty simple as well and can just use the t-shirt template already in use on the website. I'll get to work and compile the umpire uniforms year by year and post it sometime and it might save Mero some research time.

Umpire uniforms would be cool to see, they're pretty simple as well and can just use the t-shirt template already in use on the website. I'll get to work and compile the umpire uniforms year by year and post it sometime and it might save Mero some research time.
I was slowly starting to put together a list of the uniforms for Mero, but it's a lot harder than you think, or at least with my sketchy computer it was

I was slowly starting to put together a list of the uniforms for Mero, but it's a lot harder than you think, or at least with my sketchy computer it was

Especially if you're trying to find out what colour was worn for each game (in the mid-late 2000's and early 2010's, there were 3-4 colours) and all sorts of combinations were used. Easy enough to work it out until about 1995, then it starts to get messy

Especially if you're trying to find out what colour was worn for each game (in the mid-late 2000's and early 2010's, there were 3-4 colours) and all sorts of combinations were used. Easy enough to work it out until about 1995, then it starts to get messy
Exactly, I was working backwards, but even now there are random games with random colours

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

No.
Maybe someone can do footyumpirejumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back