Discussion Question and Answer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So today I had a number heat-pressed onto a jumper and it got me thinking:

Did any team ever use the retail-style heat pressed numbers that supporters have on their jumpers for player issue/match worn jumpers, or did the clubs go straight from sewn-on to sublimated numbers?
During the Indigenous Round in 2017 the players who wore the #67 for each club had heat pressed numbers. Some even had retail jumpers as well, I'm pretty sure Josh Hill wore a retail with 67 heat pressed on (which is all he deserved, really)

Hey guys, not sure if this should go in here or not??

So Kayo have got a classics section, and I was watching a 1995 game between west coast and Carlton at subi. Now I remember someone mentioning this years ago, but I saw it first hand in this game. Guy McKenna was wearing a sublimated guernsey?? No one else was, all the others were old wooden ones. It was very odd? Must’ve been a prototype? We started wearing sublimated guernseys for the 1996 regular season, and this one had a different number font from the 96s, and also had the navy spaces between the eagle head compared to the filled in eagle head of the 96 and beyond jumpers.

Also in that game, I noticed Craig Bradley was wearing a different jumper to all his team mates. I remember his jumpers always seemed to have larger arm holes and neck hole compared to others, like he’d cut them down on purpose. But it seems like he’s wearing an older 80s style guernsey, with the newer patches sewn on? His Carlton monogram was the older fat style, whereas everyone else’s was the skinnier type.

Just found it interesting and wondered if anyone knew anything about either.

Has anyone have any images of the prototype GWS logos?

Not the Team GWS one, but the ones that were changed at the 11th hour before launch?

Hey guys, not sure if this should go in here or not??

So Kayo have got a classics section, and I was watching a 1995 game between west coast and Carlton at subi. Now I remember someone mentioning this years ago, but I saw it first hand in this game. Guy McKenna was wearing a sublimated guernsey?? No one else was, all the others were old wooden ones. It was very odd? Must’ve been a prototype? We started wearing sublimated guernseys for the 1996 regular season, and this one had a different number font from the 96s, and also had the navy spaces between the eagle head compared to the filled in eagle head of the 96 and beyond jumpers.

Also in that game, I noticed Craig Bradley was wearing a different jumper to all his team mates. I remember his jumpers always seemed to have larger arm holes and neck hole compared to others, like he’d cut them down on purpose. But it seems like he’s wearing an older 80s style guernsey, with the newer patches sewn on? His Carlton monogram was the older fat style, whereas everyone else’s was the skinnier type.

Just found it interesting and wondered if anyone knew anything about either.
Polyester sublimated jumper first appeared in AFL games in the preseason of 1995.
During the early rounds of 1995 some players wore the sublimated jumpers while others wore the regular acrylic jumpers.
StKilda wore their polyester jumpers in Perth, Brisbane & Sydney.
They had Black cuffs.
http://www.footyjumpers.com/1995Stk.htm

Has anyone have any images of the prototype GWS logos?

Not the Team GWS one, but the ones that were changed at the 11th hour before launch?

Not a logo but Kevin Sheedy was speaking on Nova this morning and revealed the potential names for the GWS team.
GWS Walers (WWII War Horse orginated from NSW)
GWS Wolves
GWS Thunder
GWS Giants

He mentioned that he has all the documents and information kept at home... I wonder if we could get onto him and see if he has any potential logos?

I think looking at this, the Giants or Walers were better.

WSW rings a bell...a soccerball-shaped bell in that same region! Probably why they steered clear.

By much though? Could WSW have already put names into trademark etc when "Team GWS" became the Giants?

A fair bit, yeah. Giants had played their first game in the AFL before the Wanderers were formed.

In fact, the legal name for the Giants is “Western Sydney Football Club Ltd”.

Not that it matters too much anyway. Even if they had gone with West Sydney Wolves, they wouldn’t have gone with a cool monogram. They’d probably have some awful cartoon wolf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a logo but Kevin Sheedy was speaking on Nova this morning and revealed the potential names for the GWS team.
GWS Walers (WWII War Horse orginated from NSW)
GWS Wolves
GWS Thunder
GWS Giants

He mentioned that he has all the documents and information kept at home... I wonder if we could get onto him and see if he has any potential logos?

I think looking at this, the Giants or Walers were better.

This was just before the launch of the current GWS logo and colours.

Rumour had it that weeks before the unveiling they had to modify the logo because the cut out in the G was a little to phallic like

I remember submitting Warriors as a name when they were asking for suggestions, clearly they didn't like it :(
My theory has always been that the current logo, or something like it, was originally designed for a team with a Gladiators moniker. But they stuck with it even when a different nickname was selected, because Giants was too hard to visually portray.

Otherwise it makes no sense why the G looks the way it does.

Stylised version of the shape of NSW with the harbour omitted as it is Swans territory.
It's not like you can't do a G with a squared-off top-left corner though, that's what has always bothered me most.

Bit of a weird thing going on here...can anyone explain this? It looks like the players are signing pieces of fabric printed as the front of Grand Final guernseys. But they're not a fully constructed garment...just the front panel. Are these perhaps to be framed?

Bit of a weird thing going on here...can anyone explain this? It looks like the players are signing pieces of fabric printed as the front of Grand Final guernseys. But they're not a fully constructed garment...just the front panel. Are these perhaps to be framed?

I would say these are probably going to end up inside a frame.
That doesn't necessarily mean they will not be made into jumpers though.
These would be easier to mass produce signatures on.
They could then be sewn to the backs with nor numbers and put together pretty quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back