Discussion Question and Answer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Greetings from a rookie.

Can anyone confirm the time period in which St Kilda wore a guernsey that had an all-black back and white sleeves?
It would be earlier than 1957 as that guernsey had black sleeves.
I have seen pictures from the late ‘40s and early ‘50s that seem to indicate these years as likely.

Here is an illustration of the guernsey in question.

SK 1945a.png

Cheers, Lemon Boi :lemon:

Greetings from a rookie.

Can anyone confirm the time period in which St Kilda wore a guernsey that had an all-black back and white sleeves?
It would be earlier than 1957 as that guernsey had black sleeves.
I have seen pictures from the late ‘40s and early ‘50s that seem to indicate these years as likely.

Here is an illustration of the guernsey in question.

View attachment 782142

Cheers, Lemon Boi :lemon:

Hi mate, welcome.

Our most distinguished member here, Mero , runs a site called http://www.footyjumpers.com/ which will answer basically any questions you have about the history of footy jumpers. Have a browse!

Can anyone tell me the year WAFL clubs introduced sublimated numbers on their guernseys? More importantly, prior to this, was stitching on a felt material the only means by which numbers were attached?

Can anyone tell me the year WAFL clubs introduced sublimated numbers on their guernseys? More importantly, prior to this, was stitching on a felt material the only means by which numbers were attached?
My research is limited to the VFL and AFL, however:
At the games highest level the clubs used a thin layer of foam covered by material (probably a blend of cotton and acrylic).
Felt was an older fabric used from the 1910s when numbers came in, to the 1960's.
In the 1960's some club used plastic numbers, some went to material.
By the 1970s material with foam was the preferred material for numbers.
In the 1980s some manufacuturers did away with the foam and only had the cotton/acrylic blend for numbers.
Sublimated jumpers in the AFL were first used in the 1995 preseason.
Numbers & Badges were sewn onto them
2000 is where I would say we really see complete sublimated jumpers, with all elements printed into the garment.

Many thanks for that. It all helps. By "felt" l really meant, and should have said "felt-like" or "material". I do remember that there was padding of sorts under this. I also remember the shiny plastic material on VFL jumpers during the 1960s. I do go back a long way. 😊
I specifically asked the question because l have seen advertised an East Perth 2007 "player issue" guernsey with a number that appeared to be stitched on and it started me thinking. I know minor leagues retained the older formats of numbering after the AFL and state leagues, but even they are now on par with full sublimation on offer by club suppliers. If the year 2000 is a ball park figure for full sublimation of guernseys in the higher leagues l would be even more suspicious of the West Perth example. Thanks again for your response.

Hello everyone,
Long time reader and watcher.

I’ve just started to get into a bit of graphic design and purchased ‘Affinity Designer’ on my iPad to play around with to and from work on the train... is anyone using this program and have some tips or possible templates?

cheers
Smif

Hi all,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to where I can get a single custom guernsey made? Does somewhere exist where you can send them a design and they'll send you back the guernsey?

Hey guys,

I have ran into a bit of a problem when doing AI.

It says I don't have enough RAM to compete operation. How do I fix this?

Cheers

Here's some nice white RGB ones :)

Hey guys,

Cheers
RAM is basically the memory your computer uses to perform operations, such as Illustrator. This means either your computer does not have sufficient RAM or that it is using too much of it elsewhere. Try closing down all other programs (and unnecessary background programs) and see if that frees up enough RAM.

Hey guys,

Cheers
I realised I ran in to this issue a while back on Photoshop, this should work with AI and any of the CC apps.

1582455231213.png
1582455308188.png
1582455342413.png

Adjust the amount of memory AI has access to via the slider. Feel free to also check "Use Graphics Processor" if it isn't checked :)

Random one... has anybody got this logo and would be happy to share? Happy to try remake it myself, but I thought I'd see whether an original version was floating around on here.

1583033742573.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a database or something where I could possibly get some uniform templates to play around with?
here you go
would recommend putting together your own though if you have the skills (and the time), makes it really easy to customise with different collars, cuts etc.

here you go
would recommend putting together your own though if you have the skills (and the time), makes it really easy to customise with different collars, cuts etc.

Yeah I have designed some basketball uniforms in the past for some pretty decent clients, the template was by far the most time consuming element. Thanks for the thread, I wouldn't mind dipping my toes into some Aussie Rules uniforms and will eventually attempt to make my own but would like to get familiar with some first. Thanks man!

Has anyone ever been reported or copped a Cease and Desist for doing fan art/fictional rebranding for a sports team before?

Individually, no, as a part of this whole board, yes (from a brand, not a team).
I remember this from when I used to lurk on here back in the day.
Pretty much everyone on here if they ever came back:
HFHNM1Kg.jpg

What happened exactly?

A certain three striped brand (who will remain nameless) contacted the higher up of BigFooty and told them to tell us that we were not permitted to use their brand on our designs because it may lead people to thinking that they were actual designs (this was well before the realistic looking template era). This led to it basically being that if you used their logo you could be carded or banned from the board and the designs removed with the potential of them taking action against the designer or even the board.

Despite all of us at the time thinking it was just stupid as you could clearly tell that our templates were not of a professional standard and were certainly not actually made by them we followed the rules for a year or so and then just went back to using their logo again and they were not heard from again on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back