Discussion Question and Answer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone have each AFL team's sponsor logos in an AI file? If so, are you able to send them through to me?

I don't know if they're filed but Mero's Footy Jumpers website has all clubs' sponsors under each club.

I did miss the original message, so my apologies for that.
I am unable (unwilling) to send them because, as vector art, they have the potential to contribute to the main area of concern to the AFL Licensing Dept.
That of merchandise made outside of the AFL license.
Initially the AFL had a pretty good handle on what they could control.
They sent a threatening letter and most people who wanted to make their own Heritage merch would back down.
These days it's an industry of it's own.
It is entirely possible, even probable, that the request is in good faith, however, if not, the aforementioned threatening letter comes to me.
So please feel free to trace what I have. The sponsor images are reasonably high res.
But I am not comfortable emailing everything.

Last edited:
I did miss the original message, so my apologies for that.
I am unable (unwilling) to send them because, as vector art, they have the potential to contribute to the main area of concern to the AFL Licensing Dept.
That of merchandise made outside of the AFL license.
Initially the AFL had a pretty good handle on what they could control.
They sent a threatening letter and most people who wanted to make their own Heritage merch would back down.
These days it's an industry of it's own.
It is entirely possible, even probable, that the request is in good faith, however, if not, the aforementioned threatening letter comes to me.
So please feel free to trace what I have. The sponsor images are reasonably high res.
But I am not comfortable emailing everything.

All good, I understand the situation and I guess it’s good from the AFL to make sure logos that they have are not shared out to random people, but only to people who work with them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone have a good sized (1000px wide) version of the original freo anchor? (shown below) I'm currently working on a project to give back to everyone and just need to get a good size of the anchor.
View attachment 1303594
It's a very simple shape, i would imagine you could trace it easily in illustrator/photoshop

Is there anyone that might be able to vectorise a logo for me? I used to be able to do it but now I don't have access to AI anymore.
I could probably help.
Send the original image in a DM and I'll see what I can do

Initially, look at a stack of bird head logos.

If you just google image search "Eagles logo" and "hawks logo" and start to have a look at the way they're typically laid out and the composition of them. You're not copying these logos, but you are looking for a bit of a style you like and how they execute certain parts of the logo like the beak, the eyes, how they display feathers etc.

Then i'd do what Andonis said in his response is to find a photo or illustration of a bird that is at roughly the right angle, and then do a rough sketch in photoshop over the top of that bird. And then a rough sketch over that rough sketch, trying to simplify it, make it bold with thick lines so it works better as a logo.

Here is a bird logo I did for one of the old Logo of the week comps, and my final rough sketch that I ended up drawing from. There were probably 2-3 sketches before that one where I refined it and cut out a lot of the excess stuff that I didn't need.

TWRUn4W.jpg

This is probably a better example of what i'm talking about, but it's not a bird. I found a snapping turtle at the angle I wanted and drew from there. This will cycle through a couple of sketch iterations and then the final product. I've left the sort of moodboard guide images that on the side of my image and i'd regularly look at them to see how they do things, without actually copying them, if that makes sense

CvkgHxR.gif
Thanks Scorch! I followed this tut for my Perth team and I am very happy with how it turned out. Mine still needs a bit of fine tuning I think but it will do for a start! This is the first time I have drawn an animal logo from scratch and Im pretty chuffed with how it turned out even if it did take me about 4 hours!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many moons ago I used to use Photobucket to do simple recolours of the guernseys in Mero's Footy Jumpers for my own amusement. Now it’s hard enough getting access to the bucket, let alone recolouring anything.

Is there a free image hosting site (or the like), with an easy-to-use recolouring tool that anyone can recommend?

Last edited:
Many moons ago I used to use Photobucket to do simple recolours of the guernseys in Mero's Footy Jumpers for my own amusement. Now it’s hard enough getting access to the bucket, let alone recolouring anything.

Is there a free image hosting site (or the like), with an easy-to-use recolouring tool that anyone can recommend?
If this is your aim I'd siggest some sort of program that has a fill bucket with an adjustable tolerance, as opposed to paint which just lets you fill the exact colour and no regard for shades changing when you hit an outline. My pick would be paint.net (Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing) but GIMP could work, as would Photoshop if you have access to that. These are programs rather than websites though so up to you if that works for you.

Anyone know a good way/places to keep an eye out for leaked indigenous guernseys for 2022? (I know Smooth Criminal you had a couple links posted throughout the pre-season, but not sure if something similar applies here too). Thanks in advance!

Anyone know a good way/places to keep an eye out for leaked indigenous guernseys for 2022? (I know Smooth Criminal you had a couple links posted throughout the pre-season, but not sure if something similar applies here too). Thanks in advance!

If you're on TikTok, Munners has some videos about this.

I will try my club store scraping thing in a couple weeks, don't expect them to be on servers yet considering reveals won't be for another 3 weeks probably.

Last edited:
If this is your aim I'd siggest some sort of program that has a fill bucket with an adjustable tolerance, as opposed to paint which just lets you fill the exact colour and no regard for shades changing when you hit an outline. My pick would be paint.net (Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing) but GIMP could work, as would Photoshop if you have access to that. These are programs rather than websites though so up to you if that works for you.

I posted this a while ago in this thread, they're pretty neat.

If you don't want to download anything, maybe give Photopea a go?

Graphic Design Tools

NameFunctionPlatformsCostLinkNote
PhotopeaGraphic DesignWeb BrowserFreeMore InfoOnline Photoshop replacement. Can be used offline once loaded once, utilises javascript, vector and raster
Adobe PhotoshopGraphic DesignWindows, Mac, IpadOSSubscription, PaidMore InfoPremium photo editor, primarily raster but can load vector
Adobe IllustratorGraphic DesignWindows, Mac, IpadOSSubscription, PaidMore InfoPremium illustration app, primarily vector but can load raster
VectornatorGraphic DesignMac, IpadOS and IOSFreeMore InfoPowerful Vector software, basic raster, Apple only
Affinity DesignerGraphic DesignWindows, Mac, IpadOSPaidMore InfoVector software, one-off charge, can be tough without tutorials
InkscapeGraphic DesignWindows, Mac, LinuxFreeMore InfoOpen-source illustration vector app
ProCreateGraphic DesignIpadOS, IOSPaidMore InfoAustralian-made, powerful raster app, IpadOS/IOS only
Autodesk SketchbookGraphic DesignWindows, Mac, Android, IOS, IpadOSFree/PaidMore InfoRaster software, may be discontinued
GIMPGraphic DesignWindows, Mac, LinuxFreeMore InfoRaster and vector, quite powerful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back