Question re: Toby Bairstow

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Was listening to Brayshaw on the radio discussing the efficacy of Tom Mitchell's 50-touch game, and he did mention a few others who were prolific but copped a fair bit of criticism for not hurting the opposition with their touches - among whom, Toby Bairstow was mentioned. This seemed a bit weird to me (having only been eight in 1994), so I quickly looked him up on the stats sheet.

Couldn't help but notice that in none of the five games in which he got 40+ touches, did Bairstow actually get three votes.

What's the story? How do you get 40 touches, 3 goals 5 and miss out on votes altogether while Damian Bourke gets BOG? Was he really that conservative or scattergun with the footy?

Was listening to Brayshaw on the radio discussing the efficacy of Tom Mitchell's 50-touch game, and he did mention a few others who were prolific but copped a fair bit of criticism for not hurting the opposition with their touches - among whom, Toby Bairstow was mentioned. This seemed a bit weird to me (having only been eight in 1994), so I quickly looked him up on the stats sheet.

Couldn't help but notice that in none of the five games in which he got 40+ touches, did Bairstow actually get three votes.

What's the story? How do you get 40 touches, 3 goals 5 and miss out on votes altogether while Damian Bourke gets BOG? Was he really that conservative or scattergun with the footy?
Bairstow had his weaknesses but having undamaging disposal and lack of metres gained was not one. He ran in straight lines, carried the ball and kicked long. Wasn't racking up handballs off the back flank like Mitchell.

Last edited:

Bairstow had his weaknesses but having undamaging disposal and lack of metres gained was not one. He ran in straight lines, carried the ball and kicked long. Wasn't racking handballs off the back flank like Mitchell.
When we had the class of disposal of Buddha, Bews and Couch, Bairstow was always the lesser mid, yet he was skipper. Was never a major fan compared to that trio, but he clearly knew how to get the ball.
Another prolific ball magnet was Peter Featherby.

Last edited:
Im betting a lot of those kicks where around the corner! He sure got it on the boot quick!

Was my fav for a long time.

Vdubs Featherby and Malarkey wow loved them.

I remember being a kid when Featherby got 44? touches one day, was in awe for years!

Last edited:
In 1991, Bairstow was arguably the best mid-fielder in the game. Two standout games were when we beat the Hawks at Princes Park and he had 36 touches and kicked 6 goals and in the SoO game that year between WA and VIC he kicked kicked 4 goals and had 23 touches playing on-ball.

Thereafter, he could never really live down his respective opponents winning the NS in 92 and 94 GFs. This rang true with the belief that we were a team of downhill skiers that beat up on weak teams and got sorted out by the Eagles in September. I'm assuming this is why his name may have brought up as not doing much damage, however, in 1991 he was as good as any going around. Nice kick of the footy - didn't have a left foot but rarely needed it.

Im betting a lot of those kicks where around the corner! He sure got it on the boot quick!

Was my fav for a long time.

Vdubs Featherby and Malarkey wow loved them.

I remember being a kid when Featherby got got 44? touches one day, was in awe for years!
Was at that game. He was amazing. Mainly kicks (short) too.

Not sure what Brayshaw is on about - Bairstow was a gem (from memory all-Australian a few times).

Great memories of him pushing from the middle and lining up Ablett with dead-eye punts over and over.

Not sure about his captaincy worth - very different days and would have been a nightmare to deal with it.

In 1991, Bairstow was arguably the best mid-fielder in the game. Two standout games were when we beat the Hawks at Princes Park and he had 36 touches and kicked 6 goals and in the SoO game that year between WA and VIC he kicked kicked 4 goals and had 23 touches playing on-ball.

Thereafter, he could never really live down his respective opponents winning the NS in 92 and 94 GFs. This rang true with the belief that we were a team of downhill skiers that beat up on weak teams and got sorted out by the Eagles in September. I'm assuming this is why his name may have brought up as not doing much damage, however, in 1991 he was as good as any going around. Nice kick of the footy - didn't have a left foot but rarely needed it.
Yeah that's a great description of him. Shouldn't of been put on either of those players in those GF's either. Silly decisions.

He delivered beautifully by foot. Lovely kick.

Ran straight lines, at reasonable pace.

Was a solidly built, classy on-baller.

Nothing like Tom Mitchell.

I think Scott West is a better match for Mitchell; although West took more PEDs, and was probably a better player for it!!!:(

I think Bairstow is unfairly maligned due to his 92 GF game v Peter Matera.
(Riccardi was a young player back then, but might have been a better match.)

Yeah that's a great description of him. Shouldn't of been put on either of those players in those GF's either. Silly decisions.

1992 - we didn't have anyone to go with Matera. Simpson played on him in the 2SF and got smashed. My only gripe is it took Bairstow out of his natural game a little. He had 23 touches himself.

Got punted after 1994 - I think he was injured in the QF against the Dogs and this impacted him for the rest of the finals series as his PF and GF stats weren't great. He was only 31 so you'd wonder if he could've kept going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing overlooked about Bairstow was he played in the 89 GF - then went home to his parents farm in WA - 1990 didnt play for Geelong - or WAFL for that matter - then came back in 91

Featherby holds the record re stats - for a Geelong game - against Melb i think

Both good to very good players - but i dont think either of them would have got a game in that 2007 or any of those flag winning teams

When we had the class of disposal of Buddha, Bews and Couch, Bairstow was always the lesser mid, yet he was skipper. Was never a fan, but he clearly knew how to get the ball.
Another prolific ball magnet was Peter Featherby.

I don't think Bairstow was ever skipper but Bewsy was before Blighty got rid of him to Brisbane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strongest memory and I have a heap is of dash with ball in hand before long kick fwd. So Brayshaw has no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought this was gonna be about Mark's son (who actually IS named Toby). Wasn't there some rumour that Toby refused to come over from W.A as a father/son pick due to how his old man left the club? I might be remembering this wrong, so apologies if untrue.

Thought this was gonna be about Mark's son (who actually IS named Toby). Wasn't there some rumour that Toby refused to come over from W.A as a father/son pick due to how his old man left the club? I might be remembering this wrong, so apologies if untrue.
Might have to remind us in what manner he left, or was he discarded unjustly? Can't recall.

Some of my first footy memories are Barnsey floating over the top of a ruck bigger than him and smacking it forward with Bairstow hitting it at full tilt streaming out of the middle and putting it on Gaz's chest

Bairstow had his weaknesses but having undamaging disposal and lack of metres gained was not one. He ran in straight lines, carried the ball and kicked long. Wasn't racking handballs off the back flank like Mitchell.

The other thing was he was a goalkicker too. Without checking I'd guess more than Hocking or Couch ever were. He was devastating at his best.

The other thing was he was a goalkicker too. Without checking I'd guess more than Hocking or Couch ever were. He was devastating at his best.
Exactly-except the one he missed from 3 metres out on the run at Princes park in 95 to give us the win! Other than that he was a terrific footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back