Question regarding real estate and getting bond back

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey guys dunno if anyone is an expert in this area or knows a bit about this but here is the situation.

We just moved from the house we were renting for the past 4 years, in my opinion and multiple opinions the house looked great, no damage to the walls or anything, we even payed a fair bit to have the house profesionally cleaned. The landlord lives over seas so her parents went in to inspect it after we moved out.

They are saying there are small marks on the carpet and also a small plant that was there before we moved in is no longer there now.

So we had a look at the carpet and there are these tiny marks like maybe 3-4 the size of a marble, we dont even know if they are from us or anything, but they are trying to claim from that, as for the garden the plant in the before photo died, we were not provided with a green bin to maintain gardens. Just to put it in perspective every time we mower the lawns my partners step dad had to come and collect the trimmings and put them into his bin.

We are going to vtac and my partner used to work in the legal industry so is getting to advice. Will this be considered general wear and tear or are we going to have to fork out money for this?

If they are not bad stains caused by some major spillage they will be considered normal wear and tear. What are they trying to claim? If you've had them professionally cleaned then there's nothing more you can do. Surely they are not expecting the carpet to be replaced?

It's most likely that your landlord's parents have no idea what they are doing.

p.s. I'm no expert but recently rented for the first time in many years and looked a lot of stuff up.

Normal Wear and Tear vs Damaged Carpet
If the carpet has been in place for 5 years or longer, it’s the landlord’s responsibility to replace it, since that is the length of the carpet’s useful life. If the carpet has light sun damage or is showing signs of wear, that is normal wear and tear and the landlord cannot blame the tenant.

https://fitsmallbusiness.com/normal-wear-tear-vs-damage-rental-properties/

If they are not bad stains caused by some major spillage they will be considered normal wear and tear. What are they trying to claim? If you've had them professionally cleaned then there's nothing more you can do. Surely they are not expecting the carpet to be replaced?

It's most likely that your landlord's parents have no idea what they are doing.

p.s. I'm no expert but recently rented for the first time in many years and looked a lot of stuff up.
They are trying to get the carpet replaced yes. I think it is a joke, we have 2 young kids and looked after the house well and they come up with this garbage

Hey guys dunno if anyone is an expert in this area or knows a bit about this but here is the situation.

We just moved from the house we were renting for the past 4 years, in my opinion and multiple opinions the house looked great, no damage to the walls or anything, we even payed a fair bit to have the house profesionally cleaned. The landlord lives over seas so her parents went in to inspect it after we moved out.

They are saying there are small marks on the carpet and also a small plant that was there before we moved in is no longer there now.

So we had a look at the carpet and there are these tiny marks like maybe 3-4 the size of a marble, we dont even know if they are from us or anything, but they are trying to claim from that, as for the garden the plant in the before photo died, we were not provided with a green bin to maintain gardens. Just to put it in perspective every time we mower the lawns my partners step dad had to come and collect the trimmings and put them into his bin.

We are going to vtac and my partner used to work in the legal industry so is getting to advice. Will this be considered general wear and tear or are we going to have to fork out money for this?

Put your bond claim in. Then it's on them to decide if they want to fight it out. If its small marks, you've had it cleaned professionally, you have photos to demostrate that, they'd be hard pressed taking it further.

They are trying to get the carpet replaced yes. I think it is a joke, we have 2 young kids and looked after the house well and they come up with this garbage
What Quicky said below.

Don't let them bully/fool you. Make them take you to VCAT. On what you've described they have no chance.

Make sure you gather all the photos and other evidence you need. Don't waste money on a lawyer (I'm one so i'm not against), you just don't need one.

These people are good also, check out their site if in Victoria.

https://www.tuv.org.au/about/what-we-do/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back