Questions for those running for the board of directors of the North Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, hi there. Some of you may remember me, but most of you won't. Since it is election time, I'm back. For now.

I think we're at a critical stage of our club's history. There has been a bit of media lately about the upcoming elections for the board of directors for the North Melbourne Football Club. If we get the appointment right, then hopefully the club will continue on the work that has been done over the past few years. If we get it wrong, then all that work could go to waste.

Personally, we don't know these candidates apart from a few pieces in the media. But I think it's essential that these candidates answer a few questions. I would like the following to be answered in an attempt to find out what motivates these people and what skills they can bring to the club.

We need the right people and we have to get the appointment right. Here are six questions, that if the candidates answer them, would give us a far better insight into who these people are.

Why do you want to join the board of the North Melbourne Football Club?

What skills can you contribute to the board and the club?

Can you show us what experience you have had in bringing revenue or new clients to a business?

How will you ensure that you will always act in the best interests of the club?

What other directorships do you hold or have you held?

What other sporting organisations have you been involved with?

Are these questions directed at the 5 candidates or just 2? Question 1 doesn't seem to make sense directed at the incumbents. If its only to the 2 new candidates why shouldn't the other 3 answer questions 2-6?

Welcome back Shinboners. I've thought fondly of our quiet nights after ruggers at Scotch many times recently. We were young, our lives were ahead of us and it was beautiful.

Anyway regarding your questions, not bad but I've recently read a far more precise series of questions in another thread which quickly weed out the duds.

QUESTION A:
Can you raise at least 150k revenue each year?

QUESTION B:
Are you a premiership player?

Meeting at least one of these very thorough screening criteria qualifies one to apply for a lifetime position on the board plus dental benefits.

Why do you want to join the board of the North Melbourne Football Club?

Can you demonstrate what experience you have had in bringing revenue or new clients to a business?

How will you ensure that you will always act in the best interests of the club?

What other directorships do you hold or have you held?

What other sporting organisations have you been involved with?

:thumbsu: I like them, with a minor pedantic change....

I'd add one more: Where do you see the NMFC in 5 years and what strategies will you advocate for in order to get us there?

Are these questions directed at the 5 candidates or just 2? Question 1 doesn't seem to make sense directed at the incumbents. If its only to the 2 new candidates why shouldn't the other 3 answer questions 2-6?
They're good questions, I'd like to see anyone who wants the support of members give them a bash.

They're good questions, I'd like to see anyone who wants the support of members give them a bash.

Ditto from me. Most of us have been through the job interview process before, some a few times I'd expect, and the questions above do ask for information relevant IMHO. They're hardly blindsiding them if they're posted up prior, as our old boy Shinners (welcome back mate) has done here (as a suggestion).

I imagine an aspiring board member could use these questions as a prompt to sell themselves to the membership. Well, at least to the BF membership.

IF there ARE only 1000 voters on the day then the BF folk here COULD influence the result you'd think.

Welcome back Shinboners. I've thought fondly of our quiet nights after ruggers at Scotch many times recently. We were young, our lives were ahead of us and it was beautiful.

Anyway regarding your questions, not bad but I've recently read a far more precise series of questions in another thread which quickly weed out the duds.

QUESTION A:

QUESTION B:

Meeting at least one of these very thorough screening criteria qualifies one to apply for a lifetime position on the board plus dental benefits.

Typical, tall poppy cutting a-hole.

Don't you know that snrub is mates with JB? You have a serious case of scrotum envy. I suggest you urgently consult Freud.

p.s. good questions Shinboners and great to see you around here again.

I would add one more question.

7. How many relocated home games do you consider too many?

Honestly, we breeze over it, but that 10 year deal would have been the death of the NMFC as we know it. I love the current admin, but that scared me and I need to know (I need to know, if ya think we're gunna leave then you better say so)

QUESTION A:

QUESTION B:

lol

p.s. good questions Shinboners and great to see you around here again.

I would add one more question.

7. How many relocated home games do you consider too many?

Honestly, we breeze over it, but that 10 year deal would have been the death of the NMFC as we know it. I love the current admin, but that scared me and I need to know (I need to know, if ya think we're gunna leave then you better say so)

This is the key issue.

Question. How do you see the NMFC improving its position so not to require selling games interstate and how would you contribute to this.

We need to significantly improve our revenue, membership & attendances otherwise we will continue to be the target of relocation which actually feeds into the poor performance of the above three.

QUESTION A:

QUESTION B:

Snrub discussed your post over some beers last night with his mate JB, and they were not impressed. Tone it down before you start trouble and 1984 member Mark Brayshaw PMs you.

All of the questions raised are valid.

One question l would like to ask is

"what does being a Director of the North Melbourne Football Club enable you to achieve for the club that you are otherwise unable to achieve by not being a Director?"

Wrath

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:thumbsu: I like them, with a minor pedantic change....

I'd add one more: Where do you see the NMFC in 5 years and what strategies will you advocate for in order to get us there?
Great question Glory.

I'd split this question into two for the incumbents:
- What contributions (skills, new revenue, etc) did you contribute as a board member of the club in the last term?
- What contributions can you contribute as a board member of the club in the next term if re-elected?

Good to see you back Shinners. Election or no election.

PS - the failed Tassie deal has come out of the blue for me, and the amount of games offered without any consultation with members was inappropriate IMO. I'd like to hear a number of games from each candidate that they feel is ok to sell. No beating around the bush - just give us a number that you'd support.

All of the questions raised are valid.

One question l would like to ask is

"what does being a Director of the North Melbourne Football Club enable you to achieve for the club that you are otherwise unable to achieve by not being a Director?"

Wrath

Good question although it may be a little hard for someone who hasn't yet had an opportunity to sit on the Board to answer that, if you get my meaning.

Good question although it may be a little hard for someone who hasn't yet had an opportunity to sit on the Board to answer that, if you get my meaning.

Not really sure what you do mean?

It is the main criteria l use when people want to sit on boards of companies that l am involved in. It weeds out the egos and glory hunters to some extent. You will find that most people can actually make simular if not the same contributions whether they sit on the board or not.

For example, the profile that JB brings to the board is something that none of the other candidates brings. It is also something that JB cannot replicate if he wasnt a Director.

It would be interesting to see what the answers would be for the other 4 candidates.

Wrath

Shinboners said:
Personally, we don't know these candidates apart from a few pieces in the media. But I think it's essential that these candidates answer a few questions. I would like the following to be answered in an attempt to find out what motivates these people and what skills they can bring to the club.
Good to see you back Shinners, even in a cameo role.

Some comments on your questions...

"What skills can you contribute to the board and the club?"

I like the distinction here. Some Board members play useful roles within the Board (ie ensuring it functions well as a group, assisting good group decision-making, provoking thinking, fostering dialogue) while others play more externally, business focused roles. Both are important and, unfortunately in my experience, it is relatively rare that individuals have both skill sets.

"Can you show us what experience you have had in bringing revenue or new clients to a business?"

This seems to narrow a criterion to me, and assumes Board members need a specific professional competency set. I agree that this alludes to key priorities for the club, but not every Board member needs to bring this to the table. I want people who know how to gather such information, to assess it and reach wise decisions.

"How will you ensure that you will always act in the best interests of the club?"

I think "best interests" is debatable, as the GC debate showed. I've no doubt that those on each side thought their views were 'in the best interests of the club". This might need tightening up, unless the intent of the question is more about sale of games interstate, in which case Zebs question might be in order.

"What other directorships do you hold or have you held?"

Directorships or Board positions, or both? Is this about assessing experience, or determining any possible conflicts of interest? I'm hopeful we've got diversity of experience on the Board (and the capacity to honour it in others).

"What other sporting organisations have you been involved with?"

Are you implying that involvement in another sporting organisation is essential for a Board member? I wouldn't have thought so necessarily. I wouldn't mind one of those guys from The Gruen Transfer spending some time, perhaps filling a casual vacancy - or maybe just in a consulting role. But seriously, different skills and experience are usually needed, and from different industries.

A few of my own...

"What do you see as the key priorities for the club and what strategic initiatives do you consider the club needs to perservere with, or instigate?"

"What is your view on the current Board's achievements, and what will your membership of the Board add, or how will it differ?"

Who did you support as a kid?

How are your BBQ skills?

It is the main criteria l use when people want to sit on boards of companies that l am involved in. It weeds out the egos and glory hunters to some extent. You will find that most people can actually make simular if not the same contributions whether they sit on the board or not.

For example, the profile that JB brings to the board is something that none of the other candidates brings. It is also something that JB cannot replicate if he wasnt a Director.

It would be interesting to see what the answers would be for the other 4 candidates.

Wrath
I like the thinking Wrath, and echo jozeph's comments, that it's good to see you posting again. With Shinners back, all we need now is Carlos, Tashibatts and Michelle and we'll be set. ;)

With the Tassie issue raising its head in this thread (no pun intended), we're beginning to draw a distinction between the credentials of the candidate and their platform.

The OP has posed a number of very good questions, most of which deal with the credentials that a candidate would bring to the role.

Of equal interest is where they stand on matters pertaining to the future of the club - a well credentialed good bloke could still vote to send us interstate somewhere.

I'd hope that JB, MB and TO'H will publish something between now and the AGM that clearly states the board's position on numbers of interstate games, Ballarat, ideas to grow membership & revenue, ideas for non-footy related revenue etc.

I'm hoping to see something like "we will explore every opportunity to make Ballarat work before even considering any option to play home games interstate. In the event that Ballarat can't work then we will discuss playing up to 4 games in Tassie and will not agree to any more than that without consulting with members".

A statement like "we will look at options to grow revenue and can't rule out playing home games interstate in the future", doesn't cut it in my book.

I'm not in any way having a go at JB and FWIW another candidate would need to come up with something bloody good for me not to support him.

Just the same this is an election and I would hope that members will have the opportunity to not only assess credentials but also platforms. If the platform of the current board is not in line with the thinking of the majority of voting members then we have the right to elect one or more alternate candidates.

All I meant was that PDR and the current serving board members are perhaps better placed to give a more informed answer to your question because, all having had experience on the board, they are afforded a kind of 'compare and contrast' perspective, if you will, that Dave W doesn't necessarily have. But, like I said, good question all the same.

And to follow every man and his dog's lead, good to see you back, Wrath. Loved the good old days in 2002 when I wasn't posting.

All I meant was that PDR and the current serving board members are perhaps better placed to give a more informed answer to your question because, all having had experience on the board, they are afforded a kind of 'compare and contrast' perspective, if you will, that Dave W doesn't necessarily have. But, like I said, good question all the same.

And to follow every man and his dog's lead, good to see you back, Wrath. Loved the good old days in 2002 when I wasn't posting.

See what you mean and don't disagree with you.

Having said that, some board members l have been involved with in the past have been unable to answer that question effectively, whereas new potential board members answer it well. Mainly due to the fact they have assessed the situation and feel they have something to contribute and know where the existing board is falling short, whereas the existing guys seem to feel that you are offending them by asking such a question. Their time in the role or their standing in the corporate world is reason enough according to them!

ps. thanks to everyone for the welcome back.....l never actually left, just lost the enthusiasm to post with work and family committments getting more intense.

Hopefully this election goes through relatively smoothly and the club can focus on the season ahead as we push for top 4 this year.

Wrath

ps. thanks to everyone for the welcome back.....l never actually left....

No different to alot of others from the deep Darky past who still lurk around here, without posting or, if they do, they do so under a new name.

The joys of BF. :heart:

As I said to Zondor one day, after missing his presence on BF for awhile, "It'll be good to have you all back soon Zondorfishnipchoke!", just as it's good to see the old timers still around..........posting or not.

One thing that irked me about the 7 game tassie deal is that there was so much focus on the dollar figure and nothing mentioned about the side effects.

I personally believe that it would have led to declining membership in melbourne and a slippery slope while others don't.

What i'd like to see the club do before entering into such a deal, or by the same token implementing a cap in the constitution, is have an independent study done on the effects on our membership, supportership, attendances in melbourne that selling more than half our home games would have.

That way it would be clear to all whether it would be an short term cash flow injection, a permanent partnership, or the start of total relocation.

I've strayed a little from the thread topic, but to bring it back in, it really comes down to the candidates/incumbents backing up their answers to Kimbo's question:
"What do you see as the key priorities for the club and what strategic initiatives do you consider the club needs to perservere with, or instigate?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back