Questions from an opposition fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
Hey guys! Sorry to intrude on your board but but I've had a couple of beers and I just had some questions about your club.

First of all, how much is your membership? Is it cheaper for you guys to help them build a supporter base?

Also, I've been to the Gold Coast a couple of times and it doesn't really seem like a residential place where people grow up and spend their lives. It seems more transient. Are most of you from the area?

Finally, good luck! Perhaps you have a shot at finals this year. If not, your future is bright. Being a Cats fan I should hate you guys but don't listen to those other supporters bagging you. Not your fault that their clubs haven't made good decisions. If anybody can lead you to glory it will be that little bald maestro so all the best!

There is a transient aspect to the Goldy with the tourism industry, but by and by it is growing into a residential megalopolis with Brisbane. Another 20-30 years and you won't be able to tell where one starts and the other ends. There are new estates and suburbs sprouting up all over the place, mainly with young families the dominant demographic. This is exactly why the AFL must have a presence here along with Western Sydney. They are the two major population growth areas in Australia. Most of my friends from the Coast have been here their whole lives, from the 70s onwards.

Hey guys! Sorry to intrude on your board but but I've had a couple of beers and I just had some questions about your club.

First of all, how much is your membership? Is it cheaper for you guys to help them build a supporter base?

Also, I've been to the Gold Coast a couple of times and it doesn't really seem like a residential place where people grow up and spend their lives. It seems more transient. Are most of you from the area?

Finally, good luck! Perhaps you have a shot at finals this year. If not, your future is bright. Being a Cats fan I should hate you guys but don't listen to those other supporters bagging you. Not your fault that their clubs haven't made good decisions. If anybody can lead you to glory it will be that little bald maestro so all the best!

Oh, and Dream World, Sea World or Movie World?? ;)

Some interesting questions you pose. Firstly, the membership they keep advertising here is the $75 three game membership. I'm not sure how that compares to other clubs though. As TheSunGod pointed out, there are transient aspects to the city but it has really transformed from almost an exclusive tourist destination to a permanent living area in the last 20 years. Having said that, plenty of young families from New South Wales and Victoria have moved here in the last 20 years. If I had to put a number on it I would say around 35-40% of the people under the age of 35 weren't born here.

The great thing about the AFL fans on the Gold Coast is that, for the most part, they are willing to get behind the Suns while also supporting their first team as well. For example, I am a Port Adelaide fan but I attend every Suns game at Metricon. It's funny that people down south don't seem to understand just how important the growth of the game up here is. If you love the sport of Australian rules football you should be hoping Gold Coast win. Likewise, if you don't support Hawthorn, you should've been hoping Sydney would win the GF last year.

As for your last question, ordered from best to worst - Dream World, Wet n Wild, Movie World, Sea World.

People think Surfers Paradise IS the Gold Coast, the truth is that area is for tourists, the real Gold Coast is the Broad beach to Coolangatta area in the South and Southport to Hope island in the North. Plus all the hinterland areas inland from these areas. The Gold Coast is a spectacular area to live and I for one am glad that many remain unaware of our bag of riches.

The Gold Coast is a spectacular area to live and I for one am glad that many remain unaware of our bag of riches.

Agreed. For some reason, majority of people down south want to continue living in the cold and wet? It just doesn't make sense. The Gold Coast has everything you could want in a city these days. It's a bit like Miami in the US but less people understand how nice of a place it is here.

Agreed. For some reason, majority of people down south want to continue living in the cold and wet? It just doesn't make sense. The Gold Coast has everything you could want in a city these days. It's a bit like Miami in the US but less people understand how nice of a place it is here.
Many tourists limit their visit to Surfers and I can't blame them for thinking the area is tacky, but if they only saw the riches of rain forest, water falls and boating they couldn't help but fall in love with the place, I know it took me exposure to these areas for me to understand that this is the best place in the world to live.

The Miami analogy may be more apt than you know, the Heat were a laughing stock of the NBA as a "franchise" and now are the toast of the sport and the place most players want to play ( see the lifestyle items above) there is no reason to believe that this will not be our future as well. GO SUNS

Haha, I went from Melbourne to Vancouver where it is even colder and wetter! Sucker for punishment I guess. Miami is a terrible city and everybody hates the Heat. You're in a better spot. Gold Coast is a nicer place and I think a lot of people do support you. As was mentioned, it's pretty much the biggest growth corridor in the country.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Haha, I went from Melbourne to Vancouver where it is even colder and wetter! Sucker for punishment I guess. Miami is a terrible city and everybody hates the Heat. You're in a better spot. Gold Coast is a nicer place and I think a lot of people do support you. As was mentioned, it's pretty much the biggest growth corridor in the country.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Nah mate, you've made a solid decision with Vancouver. Great part of the world. I wouldn't live in Miami personally but if you have been to South Beach you can see the appeal. If the Gold Coast mayor had it his way we would be exactly like Las Vegas but luckily that hasn't eventuated (yet). By the time the Commonwealth Games rolls around in 2018 the infrastructure in the city will be pretty good. We saw what the Comm Games did for Brisbane and I think it may have a similar effect on the Gold Coast.

The great thing about the Commonwealth Games is the fact that most of the sports facilities will be built right next to Metricon Stadium and be available for the Suns whenever they want to use it. We are talking about world class running tracks and other athletics facilities. Great outcome for the Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back