Quick Small Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont really care if they're quick or have two webbed feet, I'd like to see a few more forwards who can kick goals. I understand the need for defensive pressure and all the other criteria used, but someone needs to kick the goals. That is one of the criteria to winning.

We have a horribly balanced forward line. No genuine small forwards, quick pressure pack crumbing smalls, no genuine key forwards with both out of the contest as soon as it hits the ground. Both massively inconsistent. Other than mihocek we are cooked forward of the ball.

Even if we had the players, I don't think we'd use them that way. When's the last time we had a small forward get to the ball drop. You can't tell me that Thomas, Brown, and Varcoe last year are incapable of getting near a marking contest. I don't think it's just the players. I think it's instructional and set up. We just set up with isolated marking targets, who are outnumbered and thus can't mark it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was under the impression that McCreery was recruited for that quick small/defensive forward spot. Haven't seen him in a game yet, he could get the gig.

Plus Henry and Ginnivan too by the sounds of it. We clearly are carrying a couple in WHE and C Brown who just don’t add much nor do we have the depth of quality of a Richmond or St Kilda, but it’s not something we’ve ignored entirely, IMO.

Within 2 minutes of the opening bounce our medium & small forwards were all deep in our defensive 50. How do they kick goals from there? Even the new kid Henry was down there. Whe & Thomas are no stars but both kicked a lot of goals in 2018 when we were not so he’ll bent on being ultra defensive.
A hell of a lot of our failure to score is also game plan related. Sure I’d prefer better smalls, but better smalls would become weaker under our game plan anyway.

a lot of the forwards arent forwards.....they're really super high half backs.... they're the first layer of defence.... thomas is the prime example. He's not a forward. he's an outlier who is the first layer of defence. He is there to pressure the opposition defence as it initiates the opposition's attack. Callum Brown is in there too. Hoskin Elliot too. They're all there to provide the initial layer of defence. And if you manage to get anywhere near the goals boys, have a ping. I watched the game last night and i thought to myself, that younger brown is still 4 or 5 years from being nat fife...or even a serviceable player. I know i'm being tough on the boys but there seems to be an air of lack of confidence about the team. It went beyond making mistakes. Richmond made mistakes too, but we seemed to have a lot of guys who were lacking confidence. Richmond didnt have any of that and I know they're premiers, so it probably highlighted that more for me. Mason Cox has played enough seasons now but he still seems to be a victim of lacking confidence. He said after the match that he needs to be more consistent. We need more arrogance in the team. Jordan de goey is like a beacon in the dark in that regard. And it shows in his forward play. he seems to think that he can do anything and he goes straight at the goal. In contrast, many of the players put in a 15 metre sideways kick. I dont understand those kicks, unless that player is free. Often we do a sideways kick and the player receiving the kick just goes back and takes his kick. So why pass it to him? The younger brown did that sideways kick to darcy who then tried to centre it again and made a mistake and resulted in a goal...but i was thinking why did brown even kick it to darcy. It seems to be a mindset....to share it around...to let the next player make the decision about how the attack is going to be mounted. Its a general lacking in confidence. Afraid of making a mistake.

Even if we had the players, I don't think we'd use them that way. When's the last time we had a small forward get to the ball drop. You can't tell me that Thomas, Brown, and Varcoe last year are incapable of getting near a marking contest. I don't think it's just the players. I think it's instructional and set up. We just set up with isolated marking targets, who are outnumbered and thus can't mark it.
Other Cox they don’t have anyone to rove off consistently.

I think they are instructed in the Jack Dyer philosophy - be where the ball ain't. Or if you are where it is, make sure you can't get it. And if it fortuitously drops into your arms, make sure you can't do anything useful with it.

Within 2 minutes of the opening bounce our medium & small forwards were all deep in our defensive 50. How do they kick goals from there? Even the new kid Henry was down there. Whe & Thomas are no stars but both kicked a lot of goals in 2018 when we were not so he’ll bent on being ultra defensive.
A hell of a lot of our failure to score is also game plan related. Sure I’d prefer better smalls, but better smalls would become weaker under our game plan anyway.
This, I"m sick of hearing we have a great backline and midfield. With the right game structure the individuals don't really matter, create the space, pressure the defence and our foward line all of a sudden become potent.

The Buckleyisation of this footy club has reached it's peak, the most stubborn ******* coach in the AFL, we are going to be left behind in this competition until he goes. Getting rid of Ed was never about racism, it was about his negative influence on the club and Buckley needs to go so we can finally develop a new culture of winning

I think they are instructed in the Jack Dyer philosophy - be where the ball ain't. Or if you are where it is, make sure you can't get it. And if it fortuitously drops into your arms, make sure you can't do anything useful with it.
They hang back and set up to cut off the outlets and lock the ball in. Leaving us outnumbered inside 50. That's what we were doing at least when I saw us play live in 2019 and on telly the numbers at the contest look the same, so I don't think it has changed.

It's so bloody defensive.

2018 tactics won't work again and our goal tallies per player flattered them. We were like a soccer team that had worked out how to beat the offside trap and alot of our goals were out the back, with the goal kicker not having to do anything other than run hard forward and then stroll in. The offside trap has adjusted and set itself deeper and all that space in forward 50 is now gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back