Quigley's Draft Rankings 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Those were the same words used for Wines, Hawkins...

At least you know he has an AFL sized body and once he gets into the system they will streamline his body shape.
He is also a December baby so there is even more scope for improvement, so plenty of upside.
He loves the physical contest and rarely gets beaten (at jnr level) so that is a bonus.
His kicking was an issue and it is slowly improving to a position where I think it is not a massive weakness.

The main concern will be the closing speed against the quicker forwards, so he may have to man up on the resting rucks.

I pretty much agree with that. If he is left to match up on fast forwards one on one he is going to struggle but in a zone type arrangement which is played at AFL level he should do fine. He is smart and works within a system well. If he has to go one on one he could get the power type or the ruck and he should handle that fine.

A massive fan of yours as you know mate .......
So a VERY keen on your thoughts about the three lads we picked up , seems all have ?? marks ( injurys , height etc ) and its seems from the untrained eye on these 3 high risk/high reward ?
cheers Dasher

The Hawks are in the enviable position where they can afford to take risks at the draft. They are a destination club for free agents and so they can replenish on the fly through free agency or at the trade table and can go with high risk options in the draft. Burton is one of those. He is a top 5 talent and could be a massive steal if he recovers fully from his leg injury. Well worth the pick.

Lovell if he was 10cm taller is right in the top 10 mix. I heard on the draft coverage I think it was that he would play next year. Unless injuries hit very hard I do not see it in that Hawks side. He will start up forward as a crumber who can move into the midfield and he does need to work on his forward game. He is a better talent than Lewis Taylor imo (more direct and better inside) but both are similar styles and Lovell's career path could follow Taylor's when he gets in the team.

Hardwick is an old fashioned small forward type who again I like quite a lot. The Hawks give a lot of different leading forward looks and Hardwick would fit into that nicely. I worry about his effectiveness when Roughy retires in a couple of years as I do think he will work better off a dominant target. Still good value and he is one who should fit the Hawks game plan well.

The Hawks are in the enviable position where they can afford to take risks at the draft. They are a destination club for free agents and so they can replenish on the fly through free agency or at the trade table and can go with high risk options in the draft. Burton is one of those. He is a top 5 talent and could be a massive steal if he recovers fully from his leg injury. Well worth the pick.

Lovell if he was 10cm taller is right in the top 10 mix. I heard on the draft coverage I think it was that he would play next year. Unless injuries hit very hard I do not see it in that Hawks side. He will start up forward as a crumber who can move into the midfield and he does need to work on his forward game. He is a better talent than Lewis Taylor imo (more direct and better inside) but both are similar styles and Lovell's career path could follow Taylor's when he gets in the team.

Hardwick is an old fashioned small forward type who again I like quite a lot. The Hawks give a lot of different leading forward looks and Hardwick would fit into that nicely. I worry about his effectiveness when Roughy retires in a couple of years as I do think he will work better off a dominant target. Still good value and he is one who should fit the Hawks game plan well.
Thanks mate , do you see Burton being able to move in to the midfield eventually ?

Thanks mate , do you see Burton being able to move in to the midfield eventually ?

It is possible but I would think it would be a couple of years down the track. He has a lot of very desirable qualities up forward which I think the Hawks would be keen to utilise. He will also need to build his engine up as he is coming from a fair way back given his leg issues. It is definitely possible though and he could become a Stevie J or perhaps even a Fyfe type.

Quigley Hey mate, wondering what your thoughts were on The Eagles' draft.

The Eagles had one of the best drafts out there I think from where they were picking. The only real question is whether the guys they picked are going to play anytime soon. On the guys picked:

Partington - as you can see from my rankings I really rate him. I could easily see him taking over from Priddis in a year or two. Should make a very nice inside combo with Sheed and Shuey down the track.

Cole - could play as a tagger in the Selwood mould but there are probably more opportunities down back for him. Should start as a nice depth player with definite upside.

Mutimer - I did not particularly rate him but with 2.88 speed and a nice left foot he is a good upside pick at this stage of the draft.

Allen - great value I think. Not seeing a lot wrong with him as a prospect and give him a couple of years to hone his skills in the WAFL behind Kennedy and I think the Eagles could easily have a ready made replacement. I also think he would complement Darling and McGovern (if he ends up up forward) really nicely.

Snadden - another inside mid but this one with some real pace which the Eagles do lack a bit inside. He did not have a great year but he was highly regarded coming into the year and I think there is a lot of potential there. He has the tools to make it which is not the case with a lot of the rookies taken.

I was not the biggest fan of Moore last year and I am not sure many impartial judges would have rated Moore's draft year ahead of any of the guy's I mentioned. All of them looked like better prospects than Moore did. Moore might end up a very good player but at that point in time I would certainly have taken all of those others.

Let's call a spade a spade his draft year was rubbish aside from a strong performance v WA in the champs and an eye catching finals series.

I'm pleased with his progression since, but no knowledgeable Collingwood supporter could disagree with the ranking you provided!

Let's call a spade a spade his draft year was rubbish aside from a strong performance v WA in the champs and an eye catching finals series.

I'm pleased with his progression since, but no knowledgeable Collingwood supporter could disagree with the ranking you provided!

Moore's Improvement and has been the Best Performed Tall from that Draft Class.

Guess not Being a Pies Fans you have to find ways to put down a Pies Player even IF he is a Young Superstar in the Making

I was not the biggest fan of Moore last year and I am not sure many impartial judges would have rated Moore's draft year ahead of any of the guy's I mentioned. All of them looked like better prospects than Moore did. Moore might end up a very good player but at that point in time I would certainly have taken all of those others.

What don't you like about Moore? Had a Very Good at AFL Level for a Rookie KPF/Ruck?

What you don't like Quigley that other have?

Guess not Being a Pies Fans you have to find ways to put down a Pies Player even IF he is a Young Superstar in the Making

No one was putting him down he just had a thoroughly average draft year that's all. All told if drafting was undertaken purely on production even as a tall he would probably have slipped into the second round.

It is possible but I would think it would be a couple of years down the track. He has a lot of very desirable qualities up forward which I think the Hawks would be keen to utilise. He will also need to build his engine up as he is coming from a fair way back given his leg issues. It is definitely possible though and he could become a Stevie J or perhaps even a Fyfe type.
Sicily has the medium half forward spot (if it becomes available) sown up for the next few years. Burton will be a project player. He broke his leg just below the knee… I have now idea how that could happen but it sounds nasty.

Hi Guys, I have a few stats for you on who “won the draft” based on Quigley’s top 60.
We have the team, the Points before draft, Points Used in Quigleys top 60, and the %"Win"

Carlton 7155 5226 73%
Brisbane 4268 7004 164% Killed it on Keys & Mathieson
Essendon 5648 4137 73%
Sydney 2160 2034 94% Mills all the way
GWS 2980 4021 135% Academy gold
Adelaide 2681 1751 65% Would be greatly improved with a rating on Doedee
Richmond 1528 558 37% Rioli a reach?
West Coast 1605 2827 176% Partington!! Personally I don't see it.
Collingwood 833 0 0% None of Quigley’s top 60 selected
North 2833 2004 71% No love for Ben
Fremantle 1573 1865 119% Balic & Tucker... nice
St Kilda 1603 1997 125% O'Kerney gold?
Gold Coast 3698 1906 52%
Melbourne 4512 1770 39% Oliver rated low, personally I love what I see of him.
Port 886 912 103% Nice work
Hawthorn 2453 2750 112% Hardwick and rookie Surmam stand out as value
Geelong 90 331 366% Buzzza!!
WB 2693 1058 39% Mature ages not rated

Quigley, if you update your draft in hindsight I’ll update these figures. Doedee is the obvious miss with Cunningham, Morgan, Redman and Sier (throw the Pies fans a bone). High potential picks Hackett & Tahana were passed on.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one was putting him down he just had a thoroughly average draft year that's all. All told if drafting was undertaken purely on production even as a tall he would probably have slipped into the second round.

"Putting down Moore" is as simple as not agreeing he's the second coming of the greatest players ever to play the game.

Jake Lever & Harris Andrews.............. that statement is fanciful to this point, & clearly one-eyed.

Guess being a Pies Fan you have to find ways to put down non-Pies Players even IF they are Young Superstars in the Making.

Hi Guys, I have a few stats for you on who “won the draft” based on Quigley’s top 60.
We have the team, the Points before draft, Points Used in Quigleys top 60, and the %"Win"

Carlton 7155 5226 73%
Essendon 5648 4137 73%
Gold Coast 3698 1906 52%

Quigley, if you update your draft in hindsight I’ll update these figures. Doedee is the obvious miss with Cunningham, Morgan, Redman and Sier (throw the Pies fans a bone). High potential picks Hackett & Tahana were passed on.

Interesting way of transferring the values, nice work.
Like most Brisbane supporters, really happy with our draft. Excited by Mathieson after reading Quigleys profile, seen he had him even higher prior to his Combine testing too.

Carlton 7155 5226 73%
Essendon 5648 4137 73%
Gold Coast 3698 1906 52%

Haha, Buzza killed it for Geelong! 366%!

Did not have a Massive Game but when you Watched him play. You felt there was something Special about him

"Putting down Moore" is as simple as not agreeing he's the second coming of the greatest players ever to play the game.

Guess not Being a Pies Fans does not help that:rolleyes:

Fair. And in answer to TD Moore had a better year than I expected him to have. He looked very encouraging and he looked much the better prospect during this year than he did last year. He still has a long way to go to get to the top of the totem pole and he is nowhere near a certainty to get there but he did show some things that would make you think he is capable of getting there.

Doedee - do not see the love. Never really had him in my thoughts. He might work out but I see him as a solid negating defender and I could have accepted him in the third round. First round though - wow. I know for sure at least one other team thought the same. He might end up getting games but I do not see his ceiling being particularly high.

Cunningham, Morgan and Redman - I knew all three were getting picked and I chose to leave them out. I think they are all high risk high reward types and I have no trouble at all with teams taking them. I think they are likely to fall on the wrong side of the equation which is why I left them out but I can appreciate why teams thought otherwise and they certainly would have seen a lot more of them than I have.

Sier - this is the kind of guy who it is hard for the amateurs to pick up on. I never saw him play and he came from the clouds this year particularly late. He was on the radar of a few teams. Personally I still have not seen enough of him to make a sensible judgement

Hackett - I was always going way higher than I thought he would be taken but I was surprised that he was passed on all together. I hope he keeps at it and puts on some weight and has a big year in the WAFL next year. If he does he might appear in a future mock of mine.

Tahana - him being overlooked might have surprised me more than Hackett being overlooked. He was played out of position all year in the midfield but he looked bloody good last year. I am surprised no-one took at punt on him to make it as a backman. The tank concerns must have been greater than I appreciated.

Doedee - do not see the love. Never really had him in my thoughts. He might work out but I see him as a solid negating defender and I could have accepted him in the third round. First round though - wow. I know for sure at least one other team thought the same. He might end up getting games but I do not see his ceiling being particularly high.

Cunningham, Morgan and Redman - I knew all three were getting picked and I chose to leave them out. I think they are all high risk high reward types and I have no trouble at all with teams taking them. I think they are likely to fall on the wrong side of the equation which is why I left them out but I can appreciate why teams thought otherwise and they certainly would have seen a lot more of them than I have.

Sier - this is the kind of guy who it is hard for the amateurs to pick up on. I never saw him play and he came from the clouds this year particularly late. He was on the radar of a few teams. Personally I still have not seen enough of him to make a sensible judgement

Hackett - I was always going way higher than I thought he would be taken but I was surprised that he was passed on all together. I hope he keeps at it and puts on some weight and has a big year in the WAFL next year. If he does he might appear in a future mock of mine.

Tahana - him being overlooked might have surprised me more than Hackett being overlooked. He was played out of position all year in the midfield but he looked bloody good last year. I am surprised no-one took at punt on him to make it as a backman. The tank concerns must have been greater than I appreciated.
Thanks for the reviews.
I was wrong to suggest you update your choices post-draft. A phantom draft should not be changed in hindsight. Rookie mistake. My bad.

Doedee - do not see the love. First round though - wow. I know for sure at least one other team thought the same.

I've heard the Pies, Hawks and Cats were all pretty keen on Doedee, although I'm unsure of the accuracy of those claims. Are any of those clubs the one you are referring to as 'thinking the same' regarding Doedee being a first round selection, or was there a different club? Obviously the Hawks were the only one of those clubs I mentioned to actually have a 1st round pick (they had a couple from memory) so I guess maybe it's them you're referring to?

It was certainly a surprising selection, but it's one I'm beginning to understand a bit more. It's clear to me that the club weren't keen to take the risk on Burton's leg, and just didn't rate anyone else that highly other than Himmelberg who GWS obviously matched the bid for.

The Crows have had a pretty hard time locking down medium sized forwards in recent times. There was the debacle in late 2014 where Ziebell played up forward down in Tassie and kicked 5 or 6, and at various stages guys like Breust, Gunston, T Dickson, Stringer and others have torn us a new one.

Would I personally be spending first round picks on medium defenders? Probably not. But Doedee's clearly a high character guy (fantastic in interviews so far), he clearly has elite agility and tested really well, he fills a need (see above), seems very coachable, and has substantial upside as he's only been playing footy for 3 years.

Even taking all of the above into account, I must admit I was pretty shocked we passed on ALL of K Collins, R Clarke, B McKay, Partington, Hibberd and even Cole (in addition to Burton) in favour of Doedee. I felt like all of these guys would have addressed certain needs too but clearly there were reasons why Ogilvie and co preferred Tom.

Our recruiting team has as good a record as anyone with picks in the 10-20 range in the last 8 years, beginning with Dangerfield in 07 (Dangerfield, P Davis, Talia, B Smith, J Lever, plus we also traded a couple of picks for the draft age combo of Luke Brown and Brad Crouch during this period). Despite being a bit of a stunner, you'd pretty much have to back them here until its proven otherwise based on that recent talent identification.

Will certainly be following Doedee with huge interest from this point.

Thanks for the reviews.
I was wrong to suggest you update your choices post-draft. A phantom draft should not be changed in hindsight. Rookie mistake. My bad.

I make plenty of mistakes. I have absolutely no problem with reasoned disagreement with my picks. I regularly do that with others and have no problem if people challenge my opinions.

I've heard the Pies, Hawks and Cats were all pretty keen on Doedee, although I'm unsure of the accuracy of those claims. Are any of those clubs the one you are referring to as 'thinking the same' regarding Doedee being a first round selection, or was there a different club? Obviously the Hawks were the only one of those clubs I mentioned to actually have a 1st round pick (they had a couple from memory) so I guess maybe it's them you're referring to?

It was certainly a surprising selection, but it's one I'm beginning to understand a bit more. It's clear to me that the club weren't keen to take the risk on Burton's leg, and just didn't rate anyone else that highly other than Himmelberg who GWS obviously matched the bid for.

The Crows have had a pretty hard time locking down medium sized forwards in recent times. There was the debacle in late 2014 where Ziebell played up forward down in Tassie and kicked 5 or 6, and at various stages guys like Breust, Gunston, T Dickson, Stringer and others have torn us a new one.

Would I personally be spending first round picks on medium defenders? Probably not. But Doedee's clearly a high character guy (fantastic in interviews so far), he clearly has elite agility and tested really well, he fills a need (see above), seems very coachable, and has substantial upside as he's only been playing footy for 3 years.

Even taking all of the above into account, I must admit I was pretty shocked we passed on ALL of K Collins, R Clarke, B McKay, Partington, Hibberd and even Cole (in addition to Burton) in favour of Doedee. I felt like all of these guys would have addressed certain needs too but clearly there were reasons why Ogilvie and co preferred Tom.

Our recruiting team has as good a record as anyone with picks in the 10-20 range in the last 8 years, beginning with Dangerfield in 07 (Dangerfield, P Davis, Talia, B Smith, J Lever, plus we also traded a couple of picks for the draft age combo of Luke Brown and Brad Crouch during this period). Despite being a bit of a stunner, you'd pretty much have to back them here until its proven otherwise based on that recent talent identification.

Will certainly be following Doedee with huge interest from this point.

No none of those teams.

On Doedee I found it a bit of a strange pick given that Adelaide did add Hampton and Seedsman who are two running defenders and have Jaensch coming back to add to the likes of Smith, Laird and even the likes of Brown, Otten and Henderson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back