Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

He won't produce it again. He's old and cooked. Was the same last year. It's Steven again. You can't expect to get much out of these players at retirement age.
To be fair to Higgins, he's already contributed far more than Stevens did. I wouldn't write him off. The main issue is whether his inclusion really adds more for the here and now than it takes away from retaining and developing younger players like Narkle who represent the future. There's little point having great depth if it means you don't give the opportunity to the ones who deserve it. And I agree that it sometimes seems older recruits are favoured in selection simply in order to justify the decision to recruit them in the first place, or perhaps to make good on promises they made to those players when they recruited them? Henderson is a good example of the reverse. It was only after he was almost cut from the team that he was really forced to earn his spot.

To be fair to Higgins, he's already contributed far more than Stevens did. I wouldn't write him off. The main issue is whether his inclusion really adds more for the here and now than it takes away from retaining and developing younger players like Narkle who represent the future. There's little point having great depth if it means you don't give the opportunity to the ones who deserve it. And I agree that it sometimes seems older recruits are favoured in selection simply in order to justify the decision to recruit them in the first place, or perhaps to make good on promises they made to those players when they recruited them? Henderson is a good example of the reverse. It was only after he was almost cut from the team that he was really forced to earn his spot.

To be fair, a keg of lead would contribute more than Steven, so Higgins hasn't really risen that high.

I would prefer the younger Narkle than journeyman Dahlhaus any day of the week, l reckon the speed and agility Narkle brings is something special that team's need going into final series, you need a young player on the up amongst the seasoned veterans for that perfect balance imo.

Narkle is clearly the better player on talent but dahl does well at the fwd pressure parts of his role and my guess is the coaches are not sure if narkle would be as effective at that part of the role as he has been as an offensive mid. That is the likely reason much as i disagree with it.

the issue for me, is that Narkle is still relatively young and has not reached his peak yet whilst Higgins & Dahlhaus have both peaked and are on the way down. At best we'll get another year out of each of them whereas Narkle could have 7 or 8 good seasons ahead of him. I really, really hope we don't let him go.

Hes out of contract it isnt our call. That said im sure we want him to stay.

Hes out of contract it isnt our call. That said im sure we want him to stay.
While it isn't our call we should be doing everything we can to show him he is valuable to the club.

Narkle is clearly the better player on talent but dahl does well at the fwd pressure parts of his role and my guess is the coaches are not sure if narkle would be as effective at that part of the role as he has been as an offensive mid. That is the likely reason much as i disagree with it.

I think Narkle is better on the fat side, running into open space, even weaving thru traffic. FP? I think you need a different set of skills

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kolo? Just shows how overpaid some players are hey….

You do realise the average afl wage is about 330k? Youd be surprised at what quality of player is on 450k at each of the 18 clubs. 450 for kolo im ok with..600 not so much.

I think Narkle is better on the fat side, running into open space, even weaving thru traffic. FP? I think you need a different set of skills

Yep i agree and i think therein lies the problem.narkle is clearly better than dahl but its a different role hed have to play if he replaced dahl and i dont think its his ideal role. Parfitt on the other hand has the defensive skills to play the dahl role (which frees up a mid spot for narkle) but i doubt they want to take Parfitt out of the midfield. Me personally id drop atkins and put moc in his small defender spot and put narkle in the midfield but i dont think MC will do it and i think that is why Narkle struggles to fit in the 22.

because he got dropped after probably the best 2 games of his career

First of all he got dropped because 4 better players came back from injury.
Secondly selection and contracts are completely different issues just because he got dropped doesnt mean we arent offering him a good contract to stay.

Yep i agree and i think therein lies the problem.narkle is clearly better than dahl but its a different role hed have to play if he replaced dahl and i dont think its his ideal role. Parfitt on the other hand has the defensive skills to play the dahl role (which frees up a mid spot for narkle) but i doubt they want to take Parfitt out of the midfield. Me personally id drop atkins and put moc in his small defender spot and put narkle in the midfield but i dont think MC will do it and i think that is why Narkle struggles to fit in the 22.

Higgins is doing nothing more than give and gos...he is the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back