Recommitted Quinton Narkle [one year contract extension]

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem with Narkle is unless he starts getting some consistent games you wouldn’t be compensated all that well for him, Clark would still hold some value but would be less than what he was drafted at.

All true , its probably why Clark doesnt get traded. The club knows the situation and will not be fussed about the drops in value.

Could be, but then again since no team was interested last year perhaps the clubs (and Geelong) see something in his game that we BF speculators do not.

Freo and WCE turned their noses up at Shai Bolton when he put off contract talks a few years ago, Tigers rescued him with just a one-year deal. Sometimes clubs are just dumb

Freo and WCE turned their noses up at Shai Bolton when he put off contract talks a few years ago, Tigers rescued him with just a one-year deal. Sometimes clubs are just dumb
West coast had a significant offer in front of Bolton last time around. He chose the tigers over that. Certainly didn’t turn our nose at him.

Source: A confirmed member of our recruiting team that posts here from time to time.

I have no doubt Narkle could play the small foward role whilst providing mid rotation

Perhaps he could, but he has not been a small forward in his time with Geelong AFAIK. He is not a particularly good kick, nor mark nor does he tackle or provide much pressure. He's a midfielder who can get a lot of ball and provide clearances.

I have no doubt Narkle could play the small foward role whilst providing mid rotation
This I agree with. He could add far more and at the very least split midfield duties 50-50 with Dangerfield who is still recovering. That this didn't happen makes me think that they know for sure he's leaving now. Time to move on.

West coast had a significant offer in front of Bolton last time around. He chose the tigers over that. Certainly didn’t turn our nose at him.

Source: A confirmed member of our recruiting team that posts here from time to time.

Mate, read the post you're replying to.

If I am talking about him signing a one-year deal several years ago, do you reckon I am talking about his most recent contract? No.

2018 he put off contract talks early, had a poor year and had to wait till after the season for Tigers to offer him a one-year extension. Certainly wasn't getting 'significant offers' to come home.

p.s. as a broad suggestion, anyone who thinks they'll get unfiltered public truth from a club staffer should think something else

Mate, read the post you're replying to.

If I am talking about him signing a one-year deal several years ago, do you reckon I am talking about his most recent contract? No.

2018 he put off contract talks early, had a poor year and had to wait till after the season for Tigers to offer him a one-year extension. Certainly wasn't getting 'significant offers' to come home.

p.s. as a broad suggestion, anyone who thinks they'll get unfiltered public truth from a club staffer should think something else
Quite aware of the content of the post I was referring to, thank you.

Your post implied we turned our noses to Shai earlier in his career. That isn’t the case. We have ramped up our attempts each time he has come out of contract. Not all kids want to come back to Perth. Most don’t, Melbourne’s a pretty decent place to live for a 20 year old.

As for the club staffer in question- he has been a valued asset on our board in answering questions on recruiting for a number of years. Don’t get too much negativity, naturally, but it’s useful intel we wouldn’t get otherwise, especially around draft night.

FWIW- as much as I was a fan of Pre-Concussed Venables, he’s no Bolton. We should have drafted the local boy to begin with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite aware of the content of the post I was referring to, thank you.

Your post implied we turned our noses to Shai earlier in his career. That isn’t the case. We have ramped up our attempts each time he has come out of contract. Not all kids want to come back to Perth. Most don’t, Melbourne’s a pretty decent place to live for a 20 year old.

As for the club staffer in question- he has been a valued asset on our board in answering questions on recruiting for a number of years. Don’t get too much negativity, naturally, but it’s useful intel we wouldn’t get otherwise, especially around draft night.

FWIW- as much as I was a fan of Pre-Concussed Venables, he’s no Bolton. We should have drafted the local boy to begin with.

If you were 'quite aware' that I was talking about him being out-of-contract in 2018, why reply saying I'm wrong because of something that happened in 2019? That doesn't add up great.

IMO it was clear reading between the lines that year that he would've taken up an offer to come home if there was serious interest, and he didn't get it. Other than spin from the spin-artists there was no news published to suggest not. You're welcome to believe otherwise if you want to - it's not like either of us were there and could know for sure - but there's no credible reason you should.

I am not, by the way, saying any of this to criticise WCE. Every club in the league looks silly now not making a big play for him then. Richmond look silly only offering him a one-year deal. I could make the same point about Tom Liberatore - would have gone to anyone willing to offer him a two-year deal back in 2018 and got 17 no-thank-yous, now looks on track to be All Australian. Dogs look mad too nearly losing him for that.

In the end what I'm saying is: sometimes clubs get it wrong. Pretty often actually. So the fact no one went hard at Narkle last year doesn't mean he's secretly no-good. He might be! He also might be yet another hindsight moment for the league at large. And in the words of Forest, that's all I have to say about that. Have a good one :)

the thing about Narkle, is that CS has tried to shoehorn him into a few different roles like small forward or outside/wing. He does his best work in the guts, his most valuable asset is clearances and moving in heavy traffic. I am of the opinion that we should have kept him in the middle and with Danger coming back from an LTI, have Danger play forward whilst dropping Dahlhaus or Higgins.

He isn't a good user of the ball (yet) so outside mid or forward roles are a no go for Narkle

Has Menegola dropped of this year? From what I’ve seen in previous years he’s a genuine gun.
I think it's been a slow burn back from his shoulder reco from which he was dropped back in well underdone. Most guys are a bit timid on a new shoulder for a while I hear.

Regardless I and most cats fans would have Menegola in ahead of Narkle mostly because Narkle isn't a wing. Has nothing like the endurance base required. He's a great on baller and decent forward rotation but a wing he is not.

All true , its probably why Clark doesnt get traded. The club knows the situation and will not be fussed about the drops in value.

Um, the player does has a say remember.

I'm sure Clark won't be happy about his 'value dropping' because of the multiple 30+ year olds being traded in and running around. It will be interesting if Geelong continue to 'top up' with mature players this years trade and DFA period.

If Clark doesn't get some decent opportunities next year he will pack his bags for greener pastures. And Geelong will get what they can, 2nd rounder at best.

I'm sure Clark won't be happy about his 'value dropping' because of the multiple 30+ year olds being traded in and running around. It will be interesting if Geelong continue to 'top up' with mature players this years trade and DFA period.

If Clark doesn't get some decent opportunities next year he will pack his bags for greener pastures. And Geelong will get what they can, 2nd rounder at best.

If it were up to me we would trade Clark this year to whoever wants him. Will get more for a contracted player.

Its part of electing to sign an extension. Once you are contracted it makes it difficult to do much about non selection. He signed when the club was playing him. Maybe there should be some sort of option in contracts about non selection. Might make it difficult for development. Have a look at JUH non selection.

I suspect Geelong will continue to do what they have done for sometime ..till it no longer works. They have shown before they will bring in players in the draft and as trades and as FA. Last year we drafted talls to develop and this year I suspect we will probably trade in a tall closer to being ready. Stanley is 30 and getting ignored. I think West Coast has done a better job of this in the rucks than we have. I think both WA clubs have handled this area much better than us.

In relation to Narkle or Clark, if we bring in a ( for a name) Duggan then I'd expect then to depart and look for other chances, and if we have chosen not play them then how could we expect a "Kelly" deal. If we play them , Narkle, who is OCC, may still go elsewhere and we still may not get much. Its just the way it goes. Its only the high end players that one really pays a lot for.

R2 pick from WC..lets say P36. Yep probably all we get if we do not play Clark and he grumbles away in a VFL. (mind you we have had issues with VFL games) I go back and look at so many players picked in the same range and we rarely have traded them early to avoid value drop, we have preferred to keep them and let their value drop if they do not get selected. What did we get for Smedts or Thurlow or Lang or Fogarty.

To any club after that style of player Narkle would probably be better value than anything after R2 in the draft. Cost a bit more in $$$ but is ready to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back