Quirks in the tale to 2019 glory

Rifles

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
In October 2006,, after 7 years of coaching ex Essendon premiership player bomber Thompson's coaching career At the crossroads
Geelong do a huge internal review,,, they grab neil balme from Collingwood,, and appoint him head football at Geelong
They then win flags in 2007,,,,2009,,,,2011,,
TEN YEARS LATER
in October 2016 after 7 years of coaching ex Essendon premiership player Damian Hardwick coaching career At the crossroads
Richmond do a huge internal review, they grab neil balme from Collingwood and appoint him head of football at Richmond.
Ricmond win flags in 2017,,,,2019,,,

In the words of Shirley bassey LOOKS LIKE A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY REPEATING

In
Balme walked in day one and set new standards. They have morphed into something even bigger. The richmond man and richomnd woman ethos. He has been superb. Even his approach to FA and trade wk is ahead of the game.

Rifles

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Seems like ages ago.Alot of confidence came out of that game.
Will sound odd but I think the GC game was just as significant. We were absolutely ruthless. Gave us a renewed confidence in our pressure game. The smalls were awesome. Bolton grew in confidence in particular. Lambo. Percentage boost. We looked next level from that point. Huge leap from the saints game the wk earlier where we just got home.

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
A sliding door moment was when Essendon overlooked Marlion Pickett in the MSD after he broke his finger in the WAFL.

1570481890879.png

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!

this may need a thread on its own
I agree it's too good a piece of writing to be lost/buried in a thread...ought to be in it's own thread for savouring and appreciating, like a fine wine, Richmond's fine Vintage of Modern era Premierships!!! :thumbsu: :heart::thumbsu:
Reminds me of that wonderful piece written in 2017 when Richmond came to the GF armed with a baseball bat and the crows with a fancy pen!

Balme walked in day one and set new standards. They have morphed into something even bigger. The richmond man and richomnd woman ethos. He has been superb. Even his approach to FA and trade wk is ahead of the game.
Richmond Man was a Hardwick/Cotchin/McCurry initiative.

Haere Ra

Rifles

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond Man was a Hardwick/Cotchin/McCurry initiative.

Haere Ra
Excellent. Great intel. Thanks. I heard Lambo refer to the richmond woman too in an interview. Do you know if gender was specifically discussed when developing the concept - ie. was it meant to apply across the club or just men's teams?

Rifles

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm surprised no one has suggested Rance's knee yet. Not only did it spur on Grimes, Dave, Btoad and Vlas and Houli to career best heights, it made us the underdog. Many wrote us off and I think thst drove us further. It may also inspire Rance's best season yet as he leaves nothing in the tank to secure his second premiership in 2020.

Excellent. Great intel. Thanks. I heard Lambo refer to the richmond woman too in an interview. Do you know if gender was specifically discussed when developing the concept - ie. was it meant to apply across the club or just men's teams?
It will become Richmond Person soon I reckon.

Haere Ra

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
Those of us old enough will remember the truck load of chicken s**t that was dumped at the door of Punt Road all those years ago in the dark ages. For someone who grew up in the Richmond country zone, having Barry Rowlings, Mick Malthouse, Geoff Raines etc at your junior skills sessions and footy clinics it was a hurtful and bitter pill to swallow years later as we lurched from coach to coach and fell foul of the expanding competition, always a step or two behind, everyone's second team because we were never really a threat. I hated it. I grew bitter. It sat in my gut like a stone.

I think back now to the night in 2017 when Reece Conca, a workman like defensive midfielder, always injured it seemed, finally getting a good run at it, sickeningly breaking his ankle. I've broken the same ankle twice playing football so I guess I could sympathise in a very direct way. The pain is agonising and all consuming.

If you remember Reece lay there screaming until the green whistle and when he was put on the golf cart I saw something I'd never seen. Every Richmond player went over to him and supported him as one. I can't believe it now but I think Rioli even kissed him on the forehead? It was mesmerising.

It gives Me goosebumps now recalling it but for Me that night I finally started to believe that this team had something special. A bond that was like family. Reece clearly meant a lot to the group and much was made of it in Afl and media circles the next day. Now, we know that quality as being a Richmond man or Richmond woman and it woke me out of a long, fitful slumber.

I had been grumpy and out of love with football and now I'm happy and proud of my team. Not just because we win. Boy do we win! The Club aligns closely with my values as a husband, a Dad and my philosophy as a member of society.

Football is a game, but it so closely echoes the game of life.

Since that night Reece Conca broke his ankle we have seemingly taken all before us and football is fun again ! (I noted closely the appreciation given to Reece by Nat Fyfe in his Brownlow speech highlighting his obvious team values).

When I see our players they seem happy, funloving (Grimesy giving the phone to Rioli in the rooms at they were walking out to the race pre game) and inclusive and look like they are enjoying being at Richmond. Even the players that leave don't seem to want to go. Watching us become a power like when I was a kid is something I will never take for granted again. Nor should you. Enjoy the ride. Support the players and the admin and never ever say you aren't proud to be a Tiger.

Thats my quirk. I call it a turning point where the club, for me anyway, came of age again and proved that the path to greatness is paved with small but meaningful steps.

Eat 'em alive Tigers !!!

Back