Health Quit Smoking - all mental

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's a craving as such, more the remembering the perceived "comfort" it gave you during those times. Even now when things go to s**t the voice pops in and says "would be great to have a cig right now" and it's been six years since I quit. Thinking about it isn't a problem - it's having the mindset to recognise it for what it is

of course, people SHOULD be ignoring doctors and pharmacists and taking advice from wannabes and douchebags on the internet, right?

I dont have anything to sell you.

People should be a bit more intelligent and realise that swapping one product with another is NOT quitting.

I smoked a pack a day for over 10 years and have not had a single smoke since i quit. The cravings went away in a few weeks.

It did not cost me anything to quit.

Good luck with your addiction. I wish you all the best in beating it.

Obviously your doctors and pharmacists dont otherwise they would have given you better advice.

How much did they smoke and for how long and then how did they quit?

It's harder with those who are heavy smokers and drinkers. For example I know of a few people who smoke and drink. Whenever they are at home and having a few to drink they have the urge to smoke. It's the same when they are out. These people's will power would be non existant because they love to drink and smoke.
One person in particular still smokes 2 packs a day and would easily have 12 stubbies a day. It's so close to home that I'm not laughing about or making any jokes about who that person is. It's one of my biological parents.
And no to those of you who think that it's me. Turn it up. I don't even touch the stuff because of what I have seen with my natural mother.

of course, people SHOULD be ignoring doctors and pharmacists and taking advice from wannabes and douchebags on the internet, right?

Got to do what works for you. In my personal experience i hated patches and they never worked for me because it felt as though i was still having a cigarette without actually puffing on one - and i eventually thought i may as well keep smoking if i am going to feel like i am having one each time i put one on.

There is no easy way in giving up smoking however, but i have tried various methods and cold turkey is the one that worked best for me. I gave up Oct/Nov last year and can safely say its only been the last 3 or 4 months maybe where i've felt that i no longer get any cravings. It's easy to lose the motivation and "cave in", but just think of the benefits you get and compare it to what you are leaving behind after each day. No coughin and wheezing and being able to taste and smell food a lot better, and you should start seeing that after as little as week with more to come.

As an ex smoker it is really frustrating trying to give advice on how to quit to current smokers.
For example my younger brother is a smoker, 22yrs old and has only been smoking two years.
I say that he should and that it's all mental and that cold turkey is the best way.
I said you will kick yourself when you realise all the money and time wasted on smokes.

He just puts it in the ''too hard'' basket and says he will ''one day'' lol

It's amazing how easy quitting smoking is if you have the right mindset.

Last edited:
My little iphone app just notified me that it is Day 100 of being smoke-free today, $1,900 saved is a nice stat to see as well. I have been going strong and pretty much have it totally kicked I think. I don't think about one at all during weekdays, it has certainly made the working days longer without the hourly smoke breaks but it feels normal now.

A few times I have been tempted after having a few too many beers but I just go back to a few of the catchphrases I found that worked for me out of the book : "What would having a smoke do for me? Absolutely nothing" and "Smoking doesn't fill the void, it causes the void".

Anyway, good luck to those who are starting out quitting and well done to those who continue to be smoke free. As many have mentioned, can't recommend Allen Carr's book highly enough. He has changed my life for the better.

It's harder with those who are heavy smokers and drinkers. For example I know of a few people who smoke and drink. Whenever they are at home and having a few to drink they have the urge to smoke. It's the same when they are out. These people's will power would be non existant because they love to drink and smoke.
One person in particular still smokes 2 packs a day and would easily have 12 stubbies a day. It's so close to home that I'm not laughing about or making any jokes about who that person is. It's one of my biological parents.
And no to those of you who think that it's me. Turn it up. I don't even touch the stuff because of what I have seen with my natural mother.

Sure, that's what they all say Sooz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cold turkey is definitely the best way. Money is a good motivator too. Every time I have a craving I just think how much I am saving by not smoking and it is enough to prevent me from buying some.

Lets go all the way back to the thread title.

If quitting smoking is a mental process, and it is 100%, then e-cigs are just a substitute for a dart, but the mental process of reward/relief/whatever is still a part of your behaviour. This keeps you right on the edge of becoming a smoker again. Its a fine edge.

You are still continuing the same behavioural patterns, and if anything, mentally rewarding yourself even more with the behaviour, because its "better than a ciggy".

This thread is about the mental process of quitting smoking. E-cigs do NOT help this.
I disagree. By quitting cigarettes you have shown that you may indeed be able to overcome an addiction. You argue the user is simply substituting - isn't that always the case? I don't drink alcohol - but I substitute this with a soda or a coffee, etc. to quit most behaviours we actually just substitute another behaviour. Also an ecig user is doing far less damage to their health. Given no research has yet found any proof of damage, an ecig user may determine it a safe enough substitute to continue with. If future research showed otherwise the ecig user is imo far more likely mentally to be able to quit than previously, having already beaten the much harder cigarette addiction.

I also disagree with your claim quitting is 100% a mental process. It is a physical addiction as much as a mental addiction, hence physical substitutes will help a lot of addicts.

PS - nine months now without a cig after a twenty five year habit. I quit within a week of finding an ecig flavour I liked. Had a bit of cravings for the first two days, and never craved one since. Of course I needed to be mentally prepared and motivated, but I have been before. I can go days without an ecig, but currently enjoy a vape with my morning and afternoon coffee. It's certainly at the very low end of bad habits.

Last edited:
I am now on day 106 since giving up the darts, the beauty of it is that i simply don't feel like one at all, not even when i drink, how does this happen?

Well, i was a pack a day smoker for 15 years and existed in a social group of people who all smoked, at the time it was just the thing to do, that all changed about 12 months ago when a mate of mine discovered the E-Cig. From there everyone started to fall like dominoes all proclaiming that they never had it easier than quitting using this device, i remained a sceptic.

In hindsight it is the most ridiculous mindset to possibly have, but still i did. About 18 weeks ago now a particularly heavy smoker friend of mine just one day up and quit, just like that, i couldn't believe it, not him of all people, so i ask how? Again he comes back at me with the E-Cig.

So here i am the last of a dying breed watching all the people i know, that i grew up with kick the habit and so easily, so i decide it's my time to try. After a quick google search and reading some reviews i make my decision and purchase a Vapeking E-Cig, from there it all came together. I committed to using it 24/7 as a ciggie replacement.

About a week in and my Nan becomes really sick, sick enough now she's on her death bed and i'm spending all the time at the hospital surrounded by grieving family members a lot of them smokers. So i'm fighting off the cravings and sucking on this E-Cig like mad, all the while my uncle & aunty offer me cigs to calm my nerves but i remained resolute. Then Nan passes away and the family grievance becomes near on unbearable, but still i persisted with the E-Cig.

After that week i decide that i don't even need the E-Cig anymore and i ditch that too. I then go for my first drink and people tell me it'll be the hardest thing yet, but it isn't. I go a whole night without even thinking of them waking up the next morning with a monster hangover but no s**t taste of durries in my mouth, this shits easy.

Fast forward many weeks/months later, many nights out, many encounters with grieving family, many situations where the first thing i'd do is spark up, but here i am not one bit craving for them, just completely normal and smoke free. The worst thing now though is watching others remain skeptical and continue to smoke, good luck to them.

Meanwhile i continue to feel healthier by the day and as per the app i have saved over $2000 in that time, it's the most positive choice i have ever made for myself and can confidently say i am completely free of tobacco all thanks to the mighty E-Cig.

Last edited:
Figured I'd fins a thread like this on BF somewhere. Coming up to my 40th, and figured the time is right. Been smoking rollies for 15 years, and that's long enough. Have been doing heps of reading, and know all about triggers, which I have many, in fact, BF is a trigger! I have 3 freinds who quit using patches, and that will be my first go. They said the hardest part is the action, which took them about a week, and then they gradually reduced the number of days they wore the patch. I only have 2 other friends who smoke, and my flatmate doesn't, which will make things easier, but plenty of my workmates do, but they know about it now, so know not to ask. I've set 2 days after my birthday as go time, no way I was going to try it while celebrating the 40th. My first big test will be Australia Day weekend and the annual camping trip, but I have a few weeks.

I'm determined to do it, glad to see some others stories, and the condescending w***ers can get stuffed!

Figured I'd fins a thread like this on BF somewhere. Coming up to my 40th, and figured the time is right. Been smoking rollies for 15 years, and that's long enough. Have been doing heps of reading, and know all about triggers, which I have many, in fact, BF is a trigger! I have 3 freinds who quit using patches, and that will be my first go. They said the hardest part is the action, which took them about a week, and then they gradually reduced the number of days they wore the patch. I only have 2 other friends who smoke, and my flatmate doesn't, which will make things easier, but plenty of my workmates do, but they know about it now, so know not to ask. I've set 2 days after my birthday as go time, no way I was going to try it while celebrating the 40th. My first big test will be Australia Day weekend and the annual camping trip, but I have a few weeks.

I'm determined to do it, glad to see some others stories, and the condescending ******s can get stuffed!

Good luck and smash it

I knew a guy who chain smoked camel filterless for a couple of days until he made himself physically sick and that's how he gave up.

Day 2, and the patches are doing the trick so far. I have developed an addiction to spearmint mentors however. Promising start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back