Health Quit Smoking - Easy/Best Method

Remove this Banner Ad

My Wife and I are about to go through IVF, and we both smoke. In France the IVF course is free, if you meet their criteria. We are both smokers so we don't meet that criteria. Tomorrow, or today for readers at home, is our Stop Day. I don't need to stop completely but I need to be 5 or under a day. I'm probably around 20 a day and have been for 33 years, since I was 13 and found a full packet under the tunnel at Frankston station. Such a life-changing moment that I had no idea of at the time.

We have patches and lozenges ready for tomorrow, all free under the French health care system, but it's such a long term habit. I wake up, make a black coffee and smoke within 5 minutes of waking up. I've done this for decades.

Tomorrow I try to change this habit, and i'll start with a tea instead of coffee... And if I have to have one of my 5 allowed cigs, it will be outside in the 0-2 degree morning.

Wish me luck.

Your13 year old self should have thrown them in the bin.

Or left them for another kid to come along and get addicted to them :thumbsupv1:

Good luck The Dice Man .
Yeah I agree. I don't remember a lot from my childhood but I do clearly remember that moment. My problem was multiplied by doing a paper round at the time and my best mate's brother was the one who opened the newsagency and let us run free in the shop taking chocolates, pr0n mags, skate mags and packets of cigs. We went to QLD on a bus in 88 with a shopping bag full of packs of cigarettes we took. Probably worth over a 1000 bucks these days.

Yeah I agree. I don't remember a lot from my childhood but I do clearly remember that moment. My problem was multiplied by doing a paper round at the time and my best mate's brother was the one who opened the newsagency and let us run free in the shop taking chocolates, pr0n mags, skate mags and packets of cigs. We went to QLD on a bus in 88 with a shopping bag full of packs of cigarettes we took. Probably worth over a 1000 bucks these days.
Funnily enough around the same age, anytime id come in close contact with someone smoking i would cough uncontrollably.. so yeah i was making a conscious choice not to ever smoke, so direct opposite.

pr0n mags ok tho.

Preface my next comment with a very big wink emoji....there's nothing more evangelical than an ex smoker...

You've never met a CrossFitter?

Vape. End of.
Worked for me.
Dont care what people say about vaping...
It has 1 billion less chemicals due to non combustion, and thats good enough for me.

My grandmother smoked over 60 years and quit cold turkey when she had a minor stroke amd her doctor told her stop. That actually scared me she could just do it that easily.

The key is getting your mind right, if you do that, it's very easy. You can use Champix, hypnotism, nicobate, vaping, whatever, if you haven't mentally set yourself for it then all you're doing, imo, is wasting your money.

Set yourself for when you can take some time off work too, a week or two to get you over the worst of it with no temptations. I've found the first couple of days easy, days 3 to 5 really tough and then pretty much smooth sailing after that.

Maybe when you're planning it, and getting your mind set for it, really crunch the numbers of what it costs you.

I'll give you an example of what my wife and I used to spend per week, note we were playing inflated prices because we were living in an outback WA mining town. I had a job in the mines and my wife worked as a Teacher's Aid at the local primary school. We quit on 27 December 2017, so just over 3 years ago.

Me, 5 x packets of Peter Jackson 30s per week at $55 per packet.
Her, 3 x packets of Longbeach 40s per week at $62 per packet.

5 x $55 = $275
3 x $55 = $165

=

$430 per week.

On average between us, tax was 40%.

430 / 6 x 10 = 716.67

716.67 x 52 = $37,267 per year, pre tax for us to smoke. That's a fulltime low paying job for one of us to work just to pay for us smoking. We quit and both my kids are in private school. Easy choice.

3 years later and where I'm now working in WA, in the canteen, those PJs are now $67 a pack and the Longbeach are $80 per pack.

5 x 67 = 335
4 x 80 = 240

=

575 / 6 x 10 = 958

958 x 12 = $49,816 per year, pre tax if we were still smoking.

A bonus I hadn't really thought about but which is great, is not having to clean filthy ashtrays. And I don't have to wash my hair every day.

I used to either have a coke can with water in it or just a 600ml water bottle half full. I'd use one until there was no longer a, ssssssss, as I put the butt in.

Set yourself for when you can take some time off work too, a week or two to get you over the worst of it with no temptations. I've found the first couple of days easy, days 3 to 5 tough.
Watch out at the 2 month and 6 month marks as well. When you think you have it beaten, and one won't hurt....

Congrats. It's only been a month or so for me, but I am %100 confident and sure i have truly quit forever....i just feel it and know it in my bones that its finally worked due to the reasons why vaping.
I've been vaping 5 years this April. Before I was a pack a day smoker and tried everything to give up. Vaping was the only thing that worked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to either have a coke can with water in it or just a 600ml water bottle half full. I'd use one until there was no longer a, ssssssss, as I put the butt in.

It's pretty disgusting but I admit to doing it that way once or twice. Back in the day. :sick:

I've been vaping 5 years this April. Before I was a pack a day smoker and tried everything to give up. Vaping was the only thing that worked.
For those who have tried, its many times trying and failing....the same and other methods. Vaping worked first time i tried, and many others like yourself tell the same story.

My Wife and I are about to go through IVF, and we both smoke. In France the IVF course is free, if you meet their criteria. We are both smokers so we don't meet that criteria. Tomorrow, or today for readers at home, is our Stop Day. I don't need to stop completely but I need to be 5 or under a day. I'm probably around 20 a day and have been for 33 years, since I was 13 and found a full packet under the tunnel at Frankston station. Such a life-changing moment that I had no idea of at the time.

We have patches and lozenges ready for tomorrow, all free under the French health care system, but it's such a long term habit. I wake up, make a black coffee and smoke within 5 minutes of waking up. I've done this for decades.

Tomorrow I try to change this habit, and i'll start with a tea instead of coffee... And if I have to have one of my 5 allowed cigs, it will be outside in the 0-2 degree morning.

Wish me luck.
See quote below.
Vape. End of.
Worked for me.
Dont care what people say about vaping...
It has 1 billion less chemicals due to non combustion, and thats good enough for me.
I stopped smoking weed and swapped to vaping it almost 20 years ago.
The difference on the lungs is astronomical.

See quote below.

I'm avoiding the vape at the moment and am listening to Allen Carr's Easy Way. Just with a bit of willpower Ive gone from 20 to 6 a day overnight. It's helping that I'm renovating and leave my tobacco in the car.

See quote below.

I'm avoiding the vape at the moment and am listening to Allen Carr's Easy Way. Just with a bit of willpower Ive gone from 20 to 6 a day overnight. It's helping that I'm renovating and leave my tobacco in the car.

Gave up 7 years ago after 20 plus years of smoking. First 2 or 3 weeks the withdrawals are real. Get through that period and its all mental after that. I drink a fair bit so the temptation was always there, but just decided to stay strong and got through it.
Very glad I did. When I stopped smoking you could still get a pack of Stuyvies for $12. I think its nearly tripled in that time which is mind blowing.
Masturbation is a good substitute although difficult when your at the Pub.

Best thing I ever did was to walk into a vape shop, I walked out a non smoker after over a decade of trying to quit. Prior to that, nothing worked.

Congrats. It's only been a month or so for me, but I am %100 confident and sure i have truly quit forever....i just feel it and know it in my bones that its finally worked due to the reasons why vaping.

Worked for us
First two weeks was not easy after the last cig tho

Never had another puff again
Any update on how things have gone for those trying to quit, or switching to the vapes(etc)?

Im trying again cold turkey with Allen Carr's book, and a thread through my ear. It's 102 hours since my last cigarette. I would have to go back more than 34 years since my lungs last had such a nicotine gap.

Great work Dice
Keep going!

I've still never touched one again after reading the book
So completely nicotine free since I finished reading it
I have no idea what date it was or even the year now that I quit
The thing I do remember was it was either later feb or macrh and a tues

I'm now reading the easyway cannabis book and am about half way thru
Should be thru that by this time next weekend

They say about 5% don't have success with the books ( was said a few chapters ago)
I'm happy to be someone in the 95%

Keep going!!

Any update on how things have gone for those trying to quit, or switching to the vapes(etc)?

Im trying again cold turkey with Allen Carr's book, and a thread through my ear. It's 102 hours since my last cigarette. I would have to go back more than 34 years since my lungs last had such a nicotine gap.
It's been, what, 3 years now? Still a non-smoker.

I get people who offer me a smoke that I decline or accept because I'm not scared of getting hooked again.

I've said yes, had one, tastes like s**t, but gone weeks/months not even thinking about having another.

I've said no simply because I don't like the taste. When you've weened off them you realize how poisonous they are because having one makes you feel sick in the stomach.

Vapes.... I've also weened off the nicotine ones long ago. Enjoy the candy/fruity flavor, like a mint in your mouth.

I am free of the enslavement to cigarettes, and I don't think/feel enslaved to vapes. However, there are days when I puff on them very hard -- that mental attachment during stressful times lingers on into vapes. Or because you can get away with vaping indoors, in the car, etc, wherever you are, you tend to vape more "because you can". Whereas smokes you had to plan for them.

One downside....i find they dry out my mouth and nasal passages during sleep or when i go many hours without a puff. Uncomfortably dried out.

It could be the onset of diabetes tho, apparently that's a warning sign. My B/S level is very high. This didn't happen in the first year or so of me vaping. Even if it's the onset of diabetes, when I've puffed hard during a day, it happens, and when I haven't puffed hard, it doesn't happen. So maybe vapes really do that, or actually certain brands of vapes do that. I find HQD and IGET do that, and other brands don't.

Anyway....vapes as a bridge to quit cigarettes is still the vest way because weening off or quiting vapes is so much easier. There isn't a nicotine addiction anymore to try to kick. It's just the lingering mental attachments of putting something in your mouth, having your other hand "do something" while driving, after a meal/sex, during a coffee, or to get thru a stressful day.

Vapes are the best way again because whether you go weeks or months cold turkeying smokes, you suffer withdrawals of nicotine + bad hunger pangs. Your mind in pain, restless. You can end up addicted instead to food, and now struggling to do weight loss. The pain ends up getting to you and you go back to smokes.

Vapes allow you to get off nicotine completely, no withdrawals, no hunger pangs. You don't have to suffer, and don't have to combat the food dynamic.

Then, months/year later, you're body is truly free of nicotine dependence....that's the important part. The mental attachments gradually fall away in time AFTER the nicotine dependence is gone.

You are no longer in danger of going back to smokes. You find you CAN have a smoke and then not have one for weeks/months later, you can CHOOSE to have or not have, because you don't even think about it anymore, and confident no longer in danger of getting hooked again if you had one or two every blue moon. YOU'RE in control now.

It's so much harder, more suffering, to try to cold turkey the nicotine addiction by changing the mental attachment FIRST. You suffer, and often fail and end up addicted again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back