Game Day R.3 AFLW - Crows vs Carlton - 11.35AM Sunday Thebarton Oval

Ramify

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Today
The endeavour is definitely there, but the ball use by foot and the decision making is still very much below par.

I still enjoy watching the games, but it's only ever going to a side show and unfortunately I expect the interest will gradually decline in time

Today was the scrappiest Ive seen it and the first 2.5 quarters were pretty ugly but I thought we once again held our structure better than our opponents which payed off when the legs tired and the game opened up. This has been the most impressive aspect for me.

Skill level will grow over time and I think with that comes confidence and better decision making which Im sure which will improve the game as a spectacle.

I just hope they scrap the modified rules for next season as i cant help but feel it is somewhat patronizing and protectionist which I think these women have proven they dont need.

Last edited:

skoobydoo

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Under the Southern Cross
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bite Basebal Crystal Brook Roosters
The endeavour is definitely there, but the ball use by foot and the decision making is still very much below par.

I still enjoy watching the games, but it's only ever going to a side show and unfortunately I expect the interest will gradually decline in time

Ground ball skills are atrocious. Painfull to watch. Carlton had much better skill level and positioning. They should have won but all credit to Crows how they kept increasing their endeavour and ground it out o

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Heaps of blues fans supportin their girls which was good to see even saw a fair few Port fans there.... even if they only cheered when Erin got it.

Great family atmosphere, but super keen for a Night game at the Parade!
Was there and all the fans were great. Had the little 19 month old girl and she loved the day out. Shame about the scoreline but we had a great time and all the fans around us were enjoying the game together regardless of their team.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was there and all the fans were great. Had the little 19 month old girl and she loved the day out. Shame about the scoreline but we had a great time and all the fans around us were enjoying the game together regardless of their team.
Heaps of support for your girls there today, was impressed by how loud a cheer they got when they marked inside 50, etc.

I disagree that the comp will "only ever be a sideshow." Now that there is an actual top-level comp for women to aspire to, participation at the junior level will increase and the skill level will increase as well.

It will never have the sheer physicality of the men's game simply because of the body sizes involved, but there is no reason it can't become just as skillful now that there is a legitimate comp to give talented young women a reason to practice their skills.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Heaps of support for your girls there today, was impressed by how loud a cheer they got when they marked inside 50, etc.

I disagree that the comp will "only ever be a sideshow." Now that there is an actual top-level comp for women to aspire to, participation at the junior level will increase and the skill level will increase as well.

It will never have the sheer physicality of the men's game simply because of the body sizes involved, but there is no reason it can't become just as skillful now that there is a legitimate comp to give talented young women a reason to practice their skills.

It's unlikely the skills will ever get up to the mens game due to it being unlikely that there will ever be equal participation numbers of boys and girls due to it being much more common for boys to want to play contact sports than girls are. There will of course be individuals who are just as skilled as the men, but the competition as a whole is very unlikely to ever get there. Due to participation numbers it will probably end up like comparing the a-league to the EPL.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Interest will soar in time as will the skills.

You're making a judgement on a comp that is three rounds old with some players who haven't played many more games than that, and no team has.

Like judging GWS in 2012 and saying, pfft, they'll never amount to anything.

The best side this year would be absolutely flogged by the any side in 3 years time.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
And the thing is people know a good hit/bump/tackle regardless that it might not be as physical as the men's.

Also people know intensity, and FWIW I reckon the pre-season men's comp has suffered by comparison. It screams "we're just practicing" compared to the women who aren't leaving anything on the park.

Apr 28, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, West Adelaide
Went along today and had an absolute blast!

Game was scrappy as hell but it was an absorbing contest. The 15 minute quarters just flew by, until we hit the lead, then time went at a snails pace til the siren went :D. Carlton were much cleaner with the ball in the first 3 quarters, they just seemed to mark and pick up everything cleanly compared to our fumbles. But in the last our pressure got to them, leading to their ill disciplined free kicks - which imo turned the momentum our way.

Erin Phillips is well on her way to taking out the league's BnF. She is just a class above. That goal was superb, and the roar from the crowd when it rolled through :fire::fire:

Tex Perkins is just amazing. The crowd loves her. That endeavour at the ball leading to our first goal:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Darcy Vescio is all class too. Great player.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
So have the Vic's figured out Daisy Pearce isn't the best player yet?

What was the other female commentator today who said that after watching the first game she didn't think Phillips would be able to transition properly from Basketball? I heard that on the replay and I was, well you know bugger all about football then don't you? She had 6 shots on goal playing up forward and had 3 goals from it because she was a bit rusty.

Back