Game Day R.3 AFLW - Crows vs Carlton - 11.35AM Sunday Thebarton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing 7 games a year will mean it will take 3 interrupted years to make up for 1 year in the men's competition. The longevity of this comp will depend on upskilling the ladies.....because right now the game is fueled by fanfare as it is new. Supporters will turn a blind eye to the skills because it is all new.

Year 2 will probably hold some support, but it is year 3 I really worry about. If the game has not lifted by then, I can guarantee that some people won't bother.

If the AFL are serious then they should think about making it run a full season so the skills will increase.

Of course pouring money into women's grass roots is the other piece, which I believe the AFL are already doing.

I am a foundation member, so I will follow regardless ;)

There was one huge negative from Sunday.

My mate and I bought snags from the Westies sausage sizzle, mine were fine, but he was given crust... I assumed it was an unwritten rule that you don't give crust at a sausage sizzle.
It gives you curly hair though

Year 2 will probably hold some support, but it is year 3 I really worry about. If the game has not lifted by then, I can guarantee that some people won't bother.
Year 3 will be the interesting year, because that's when the AFL plan to expand and introduce more teams.

I like the womans game but the AFL have to do one thing first before they expand the competition; they need to change the length of quarters to exactly the same the men. 15 minute quarters with no time is just too short. This is highlighted by the fact Carlton and the Crows were both easily able to shut each other down on the huge expanses of Thebarton Oval meaning fitness isn't an issue to running out games. If the AFL want consumers to buy this product they need to make it worth while. Some people will travel an hour or more to see a game and if its only running for about an 90 minutes inclusive of breaks people will just watch it on tv, simple as that. Right now they have huge crowds but the game is free and its new and exciting. Eventually fans will be asked to pay and I do not think once you ask fans to put their hands in their pocket they will like short games.

I like the womans game but the AFL have to do one thing first before they expand the competition; they need to change the length of quarters to exactly the same the men. 15 minute quarters with no time is just too short. This is highlighted by the fact Carlton and the Crows were both easily able to shut each other down on the huge expanses of Thebarton Oval meaning fitness isn't an issue to running out games. If the AFL want consumers to buy this product they need to make it worth while. Some people will travel an hour or more to see a game and if its only running for about an 90 minutes inclusive of breaks people will just watch it on tv, simple as that. Right now they have huge crowds but the game is free and its new and exciting. Eventually fans will be asked to pay and I do not think once you ask fans to put their hands in their pocket they will like short games.
I look at it the other way, it fits the ADHD generation.

I disagree. There are a lot more young families I've seen at the AFLW than the AFL and part of that is cost, but also the shortness of the games which works great for children's attention spans. It's the same thing with the BBL in cricket - the shorter game works best for being attractive to children. Also, it is played in summer, which is why the shorter quarters were also implemented and, thirdly, the players were not easily running out the game. I was sitting near the interchange and those players were coming off completely stuffed in the last quarter.

I disagree. There are a lot more young families I've seen at the AFLW than the AFL and part of that is cost, but also the shortness of the games which works great for children's attention spans. It's the same thing with the BBL in cricket - the shorter game works best for being attractive to children. Also, it is played in summer, which is why the shorter quarters were also implemented and, thirdly, the players were not easily running out the game. I was sitting near the interchange and those players were coming off completely stuffed in the last quarter.
Yep shorter quarters means a greater sense of going flat out for 15 min rather than trying to go in bursts. So fitness remains a key issue in running out the last quarter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

easy, firstly an AFLW game is not half as long as a BBL match, pretty sure the kids could still handle it with an extra 5 minutes on each quarter - and secondly when a lot of these girls are either coming from the W-League and other sports they play during the rest of the year, and/or have dreams of being full-time professional footballers (which is a real opportunity going forward), I think as the game grows its not too unreasonable to expect them to be able to run out games that are at least as long as what all the amateurs who skipped preseason do on the weekend (and still deliver a great standard of footy I might add).

Yep shorter quarters means a greater sense of going flat out for 15 min rather than trying to go in bursts. So fitness remains a key issue in running out the last quarter
the AFL introduced the interchange cap to increase fatigue, to reduce stoppages, to open up the game. The Women's game could benefit from similar tweaking, the game on the weekend may have been intense and hard fought but it was a rolling maul worse than we ever saw in 2012 - next season the quarters ought to be 18 minutes at least.

easy, firstly an AFLW game is not half as long as a BBL match, pretty sure the kids could still handle it with an extra 5 minutes on each quarter - and secondly when a lot of these girls are either coming from the W-League and other sports they play during the rest of the year, and/or have dreams of being full-time professional footballers (which is a real opportunity going forward), I think as the game grows its not too unreasonable to expect them to be able to run out games that are at least as long as what all the amateurs who skipped preseason do on the weekend (and still deliver a great standard of footy I might add).

the AFL introduced the interchange cap to increase fatigue, to reduce stoppages, to open up the game. The Women's game could benefit from similar tweaking, the game on the weekend may have been intense and hard fought but it was a rolling maul worse than we ever saw in 2012 - next season the quarters ought to be 18 minutes at least.

You do realise that the AFL has already tweaked it with it being a 16 a side in the AFLW? They did that to try and stop stoppages. What that has done instead is increase fatigue in terms of players having to run further so the skills get worse as the game goes on. What has been the most common complaint about the AFLW? The poor skills at times, often towards the end of quarters. Wonder what could partly be causing that? ;)

You do realise that the AFL has already tweaked it with it being a 16 a side in the AFLW? They did that to try and stop stoppages. What that has done instead is increase fatigue in terms of players having to run further so the skills get worse as the game goes on. What has been the most common complaint about the AFLW? The poor skills at times, often towards the end of quarters. Wonder what could partly be causing that? ;)
fully aware, and how successful was it?

and the skills are average all day - I wouldn't be blaming it on the girls going into the red after 10 minutes - they're better than that, they keep hitting contests and landing tackles right to the final siren.

If they want better skills they could go back to using a real sized football, like they were in last years exhibitions without issue.

Incidentally. I'd like to see a venn diagram of the overlap between the opinions "AFLW is unwatchable because of poor skills" and "Rule changes are necessary in AFL (mens) to make footy more like it was in the good old days of 'getting stuck in' and bad skills."

A couple of additional thoughts from the weekend:

• Heather Anderson has been huge for us all three weeks. Her speed and running has been magnificent and she'd be AA right now. I haven't seen her mentioned too much but she deserves some serious kudos.
  • If we were cleaner with our hands we would be smashing teams. Carlton were noticeably cleaner that us with their skills. If we could reach that standard we're going to be very hard to stop.

• Heather Anderson has been huge for us all three weeks. Her speed and running has been magnificent and she'd be AA right now. I haven't seen her mentioned too much but she deserves some serious kudos.
  • If we were cleaner with our hands we would be smashing teams. Carlton were noticeably cleaner that us with their skills. If we could reach that standard we're going to be very hard to stop.
Agree, the lady with the pink helmet has been most impressive also have liked Deni Varnhagen's games.

Bri Davey out for a couple of weeks. Makes it easier for your ladies :(

If they want better skills they could go back to using a real sized football, like they were in last years exhibitions without issue.

Incidentally. I'd like to see a venn diagram of the overlap between the opinions "AFLW is unwatchable because of poor skills" and "Rule changes are necessary in AFL (mens) to make footy more like it was in the good old days of 'getting stuck in' and bad skills."

They used the smaller ball in the exhibition game last year too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back