R.I.P Alan "Metal for Melbourne" Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Was out with a mate last night and had a shock when he said he'd heard that Alan Thomas (or simply A.T to his listeners) died of a heart attack last week.

A.T used to host a heavy metal show on 3RRR Sunday nights, and had a MAJOR metal influence on me in my early high school years. A.T absolutely loved his Manowar and he loved the Pies (yeah, he had his faults). There's an amusing story about him waking up starkers in someone's front yard after the 1990 Grand Final! I was lucky enough to meet him a coupla times around the traps. Nice bloke.

Cheers for getting me into metal, AT. Keep bangin' and thrashing AS ALWAYS!!!!

Coldacre

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Was out with a mate last night and had a shock when he said he'd heard that Alan Thomas (or simply A.T to his listeners) died of a heart attack last week.

A.T used to host a heavy metal show on 3RRR Sunday nights, and had a MAJOR metal influence on me in my early high school years. A.T absolutely loved his Manowar and he loved the Pies (yeah, he had his faults). There's an amusing story about him waking up starkers in someone's front yard after the 1990 Grand Final! I was lucky enough to meet him a coupla times around the traps. Nice bloke.

Cheers for getting me into metal, AT. Keep bangin' and thrashing AS ALWAYS!!!!

sad to hear that. used to listen to his metal show when I was a youngster. his musical taste was a little too 'lite' for my liking, but all there was back then was Andy Accept, him and 3 hours of Power.

G.O.B

Club Legend
Apr 28, 2006
northern suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
It was upsetting to hear that a man that helped shape my music taste as a young metal head died prematurely.

Listening to his show at midnight on Sunday nights was a major operation as my parents were never happy that I was up so late when I had school the next day.
Regardless, listening was a must do and some way or another I always found a way.

His relaxed approach and his evident passion for the music he played was contagious, as was his love for Manowar and Helloween.
I always loved his last show of the year, in particular his top ten albums.

Condolences to all who knew the man and may he rest in peace.
"Keep banging and thrashing"

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
the Metal 4 Melbourne gig in January was fantastic! so many old school metal heads there: Greta Tate, Lemmy Wilson, Phil Venom.. Peter Hobbs.... could name drop another 50 people... AMAZING gig

Gig sold out before I could grab a ticket, unfortunately. How were Hobb's Angel of Death? Still rocking?

Coldacre

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Gig sold out before I could grab a ticket, unfortunately. How were Hobb's Angel of Death? Still rocking?
Hobbs were the final band of the night and utterly amazing. have you heard "Heaven Bled"? his latest album! the best yet!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back