R.I.P Hugh Keays-Byrne (1947-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Rest well, Toecutter. I'll remember you as I look to the night sky tonight!

Hugh Keays-Byrne, best known for his roles in Mad Max and Mad Max: Fury Road, has died at the age of 73.

Keays-Byrne’s passing was announced by American writer and director Ted Geoghegan on Thursday morning on Twitter. A cause of death has yet to be revealed.

“Hugh Keays-Byrne, an unsung hero of Aussie cinema, has passed away at age 73,” Geoghegan tweeted.

“Im continually floored that he played Toecutter, the central antagonist of 1979's MAD MAX *and* Immortan Joe, the central antagonist 2015's MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. Thanks for all the entertainment, sir,” he added...

Mad-Max-1.jpg
giphy.gif

Shocked and saddened at that news, saw him just last year at a comic convention where he was doing a Q&A session with Steve Bisley talking about Mad Max.

He was one of the best things about Mad Max as Toecutter and was also great as Immortan Joe in Fury Road, an underrated actor that stole every scene he was in.

Oh that sucks. He was magnetic in everything.

My top 10 films he was in:

1. Mad Max ('79)
2. Mad Max: Fury Road ('15)
3. For Love Alone ('86)
4. Kangaroo ('86)
5. Going Down ('83) (small glorified cameo)
6. Dadah is Death ('88)
7. Stone ('74)
8. The Man From Hong Kong ('75)
9. The Chain Reaction ('80)
10. Mad Dog Morgan ('76)

Like Chris Haywood and David Stratton, one of those greats of Australian cinema who grew up in Britain and then moved here in their mid-20s. Was a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company, far out!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back