R.I.P. Les Sealey

GOALKEEPER LES SEALEY DIES, AGED 43

Former West Ham and Manchester United goalkeeper Les Sealey has died, aged 43. In a lengthy career spanning numerous clubs, Sealey's major achievements came at Old Trafford in the early 1990s. A surprise replacement for Jim Leighton in the 1990 FA Cup Final replay victory over Crystal Palace, Sealey retained his place and starred in the 1991 European Cup Winners' Cup final win over Barcelona in Rotterdam. He was goalkeeping coach at West Ham before departing following Harry Redknapp left in the summer. West Ham managing director Paul Aldridge said: "We were shocked and saddened to hear this terrible news. Our thoughts are with his family." Tottenham's director of football David Pleat, who managed Sealey during his time in charge of Luton, felt the goalkeeper's death was a great loss to the game. Pleat told Sky Sports News: "He came to me from Coventry and was superb in the dressing room. He was very popular with his team-mates and worked tremendously hard in training. "He took that through to coaching and had a superb career and our thoughts have to be with his sons and his family."

Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
Wow that's come as a bit of a shocker-I saw him down at West Ham a few times.

It's strange as his uncle played for West Ham in the 60's & was part of the team that won the Cup Winner's Cup in 1965 & he died at a pretty young age as well.

Back