R.I.P. Phil Ryan past HFC President

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly one of our Clubs great elder statesman, past player and President Phil Ryan passed away yesterday morning aged 98. Phil leaves behind his life partner, Mavis who has been a trooper alongside Phil in particular the latter part of his life as age took its toll.
President of our Club for the '71, '76 & '78 Premierships and a player in the 1940's provides an amazing 70+ year association with the Hawks that took us from cellar dwellers to VFL/AFL supremos.
Rest in peace Phil, a true gentleman and great Hawthorn man.

RIP Phil.

What a journey he's had with the club - from the dark days of the 40's and 50's to witnessing our 11th premiership.

Always sad when a true Hawthorn person passes away. Condolences to the family.

Sadly one of our Clubs great elder statesman, past player and President Phil Ryan passed away yesterday morning aged 98. Phil leaves behind his life partner, Mavis who has been a trooper alongside Phil in particular the latter part of his life as age took its toll.
President of our Club for the '71, '76 & '78 Premierships and a player in the 1940's provides an amazing 70+ year association with the Hawks.
Rest in peace Phil, a true gentleman and great man.

Well said HC. Exactly my sentiments. I was one of those fortunate to have met Phil. My condolences to Mavis.

Phil Ryan

Born June 9, 1915
Recruited from Xavier College and Kew CYMS
Played 1941-1947
Guernsey numbers, (1941) 38, (1942-44) 14, (1945) 13, (1946-47) ?
Games 52
Goals 26
Best Team Player, 1942
President 1968-1979
Premierships 1971, 1976, 1978
Vice President/Committee, 1948-52
Club Selector including Role of Chairman, 1948-52
Club Treasurer, 1953-67
HFC Life Member 1951
HFC Hall of Fame 2003

Phil Ryan gave 38 continuous years service to the Club, firstly as a 2nd 18 player from 1941, until he retired as Club President in 1979. As a player he was a handy forward come ruck man but he would be best remembered for his role as a Club official. The Annual Report of 1979 reports ‘that Ryan has set a standard as President in his period of office that is without parallel in the history of our great Club; 3 Premierships, 1971, 76, 78 and a consolidation of our financial resources’. He remains a respected voice behind the scenes.

It is hard to imagine where Hawthorn FC would be nowdays if it weren't for the likes of Phil Ryan, Dr. Sandy Ferguson, Max Elmer, Ron Cook and of course John Kennedy Snr.

This quote was from Jake Niall, The Age, 05.12.04 after the death of Ron Cook.

"His legacy was also spiritual, in that he - along with fellow "elders" John Kennedy senior, Sandy Ferguson and Phil Ryan - created Hawthorn's creed of austerity and selflessness."

These great men & their families gave so much to give us this great club we have today.

Thank you Sir.
R.I.P.

It is hard to imagine where Hawthorn FC would be nowdays if it weren't for the likes of Phil Ryan, Dr. Sandy Ferguson, Max Elmer, Ron Cook and of course John Kennedy Snr.

This quote was from Jake Niall, The Age, 05.12.04 after the death of Ron Cook.

"His legacy was also spiritual, in that he - along with fellow "elders" John Kennedy senior, Sandy Ferguson and Phil Ryan - created Hawthorn's creed of austerity and selflessness."

These great men & their families gave so much to give us this great club we have today.

Thank you Sir.
R.I.P.

Long service was just part of the 'norm' when we were building our club in those very difficult days. If you don't mind, Rusty, I'd like to add another name to your list. A long serving trainer, Beau Wallace. Another gentleman who was there when the family was in its early days. We are very lucky to have had such a strong foundation.

My deepest condolences to Mavis & all the Hawthorn family. Mr Phil Ryan was a monument to our great club. From a personal perspective & having seen 10 Flags in my lifetime thus far, people have to remember when we use to be absolute garbage. Mr Ryan along with the others mentioned in this post, have made us the great club we are now.

"created Hawthorn's creed of austerity and selflessness."
that's a great quote by Jake Niall there Rusty, footy clubs have changed and you don't find people of this type of character often, if at all these days. Most Club staff/administration have little knowledge of its true history and the people who played their part, many would not even recognize them.
Sure its a sign of the times yet we all should never forget where we have come from and those who positioned our Club in a way it has been able to prosper today. Without their time, effort and foresight we could have easily been 'just another footy club'. Three cheers to Phil Ryan, one of our greatest stalwarts!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had the honour of growing up knowing Phil and Mavis quite well when I was younger. He was the truest definition of a gentleman I could possibly imagine. Such a lovely person. RIP Phil.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back