Universal Love R.I.P Thaihawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strebi3

Team Captain
Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I only just saw this. Will miss his posts as he was always a great read and always positive. RIP Thaihawk

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He was the glue that kept different generations of Hawks supporters in touch with the club's roots. It is so sad that he has passed but that said, I also I think he was fortunate to have experienced first hand the most significant periods of of the club's history; rising from easybeats to one of the most consistently dominant clubs in the AFL. RIP Thaihawk.

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As many have noticed over the the last few months, one of our most active, long standing and quality members of this board has been unusually absent this year. Combining small pieces of information throughout his posting history I was able to track down his profile on Facebook and use what is publicly shared there to get in contact with a family member.

It's with great sadness that I pass on the news that Thaihawk has unfortunately passed away. I'm told that he was admitted to hospital in early January with "quite a few issues" (which I'm led to believe were likely cancer related) and that in mid-March he passed away.

Most regulars here would know that Thaihawk grew up in the Glenferrie area in the 1940's and bear witness to many a thrashing of Hawthorn throughout his youth. He was lucky in the sense that he got to watch Hawthorn transform from the easy-beat Mayblooms into the powerhouse Hawks of today.

The man we knew from his time on BigFooty was an elderly (late 70's), Australian expat spending his retirement years living in Northern Thailand with his Thai family after having remarried later in life. He taught ESL (English as a Second Language) in Thailand for some years before fully retiring to enjoy spending all his time with his wife and his 3 year old granddaughter (who is now a keen Hawk fan herself). We also knew that his wife was fighting a very tough battle with cancer the last couple years and that she sadly lost that fight late last year. No doubt the pain and stress of that loss contributed to his own ill health.

Thaihawk has a long posting history here and it is rich with fantastic, first-hand accounts of the early days of Hawthorn from the late 1940's through until the modern history of recent years. With Thaihawk's background in teaching English his affinity for writing quality posts has been very evident, and I'm sure many reading this would have been schooled by him on the appropriate use of grammar at one point or another! Throughout his tenure on these boards he was consistently adding plenty of quality to discussions with his sharp wit, sage advice and the occasional grumbly, old man rant.

While this is terribly sad news I think we should all be happy in the knowledge that Thaihawk led such a long and happy life and that he got to see the rise to power of his beloved football club. Experiencing all 13 wonderful premiership wins to date, and topped off with a historical threepeat!

Rest In Peace, Thaihawk

This is terribly sad news.

When I started posting on this forum a decade ago, whenever I noticed Thaihawk had commented on a post, I knew it was going to be a carefully considered, measured response which would inevitably teach me something about the history of this club.

I didn't know him personally, but as with all things in the digital world, I really do feel a sense of loss that someone I interacted on a screen has passed.

He seemed like a very good man - my condolences to his family and friends.

Thank you for taking the time to find this, Cryptor.

Kor sadang kwam sia jai duay kha Thaihawk

Sorry for recycling this photo from when your wife passed friend, but now you're together again maybe you could show her and smile together.

xo

1556697019077.png

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In just a few years after we pass, few remember to recall our names except here or there.
And when those who know us have gone, none will speak our names.
It's only then our true measure can be known.
Did we add to what is good in this world, did we stand up to what is wrong...
I feel like Thaihawk did his bit, and for that I thank him.
Hope you enjoyed the ride my Hawthorn brother, I enjoyed my time sharing even only a small part of it on this electronic get together with you.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Everything has a start
A Middle
And and end.

It is the middle that matters.

I had few interactions with Thaihawk and so am ambivalent to his passing.
But I am impressed with the Hawks Bigfooty communities capacity to express love and grief.

ThaiHawk... your posthumous bigfooty legacy may be : people who you did not know came to like you, and those people were better for your Hawk Chat

People see a hole where you sat.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
I've only recently stumbled upon this

I think we all agree posters come and go, Thaihawk was a ripper. It must of been s**t being a hawks supporter in the 50's. Glad our boys showed him a ton of sucess in the later years.

Kind of a bummer. Will miss the dude. All accounts was a great dude, and good to see most posters also agree and also share the sentiment the board is a lesser place without guys like him posting on it.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
As many have noticed over the the last few months, one of our most active, long standing and quality members of this board has been unusually absent this year. Combining small pieces of information throughout his posting history I was able to track down his profile on Facebook and use what is publicly shared there to get in contact with a family member.

It's with great sadness that I pass on the news that Thaihawk has unfortunately passed away. I'm told that he was admitted to hospital in early January with "quite a few issues" (which I'm led to believe were likely cancer related) and that in mid-March he passed away.

Most regulars here would know that Thaihawk grew up in the Glenferrie area in the 1940's and bear witness to many a thrashing of Hawthorn throughout his youth. He was lucky in the sense that he got to watch Hawthorn transform from the easy-beat Mayblooms into the powerhouse Hawks of today.

The man we knew from his time on BigFooty was an elderly (late 70's), Australian expat spending his retirement years living in Northern Thailand with his Thai family after having remarried later in life. He taught ESL (English as a Second Language) in Thailand for some years before fully retiring to enjoy spending all his time with his wife and his 3 year old granddaughter (who is now a keen Hawk fan herself). We also knew that his wife was fighting a very tough battle with cancer the last couple years and that she sadly lost that fight late last year. No doubt the pain and stress of that loss contributed to his own ill health.

Thaihawk has a long posting history here and it is rich with fantastic, first-hand accounts of the early days of Hawthorn from the late 1940's through until the modern history of recent years. With Thaihawk's background in teaching English his affinity for writing quality posts has been very evident, and I'm sure many reading this would have been schooled by him on the appropriate use of grammar at one point or another! Throughout his tenure on these boards he was consistently adding plenty of quality to discussions with his sharp wit, sage advice and the occasional grumbly, old man rant.

While this is terribly sad news I think we should all be happy in the knowledge that Thaihawk led such a long and happy life and that he got to see the rise to power of his beloved football club. Experiencing all 13 wonderful premiership wins to date, and topped off with a historical threepeat!

Rest In Peace, Thaihawk

I'm afraid I did not know this had happened. But I remember his posts, and I pass my condolences on to all his family , R.I.P. brother Hawk.

Dave Id

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
Some Australian Mountain Range
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao FC
Glenferrie was great in the 1950s.
Two movie theaters,a swimming pool,Walkers for clothing and Dobsons for school wear,Coles, and a printer from Wilkies started Cathie's Newsagency.
It was the age of radio and ice chests. Not every family had a 'phone let alone a car so the trains and trams were fantastic.
Elsewhere every second person and their dog barracked for the Demons.
We kids wondered what it would be like to win a Premiership,let alone a Brownlow.
Was lucky enough to attend the 1961 Grand Final.
Probably ran into Thaihawk many,many times back then.We knew people in common.

R.I.P. Michael Conlan and Thanks.

Last edited:

LuckyHawk

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Glenferrie was great in the 1950s.
Two movie theaters,a swimming pool,Walkers for clothing and Dobsons for school wear,Coles, and a printer from Wilkies started Cathie's Newsagency.
It was the age of radio and ice chests. Not every family had a 'phone let alone a car so the trains and trams were fantastic.
Elsewhere every second person and their dog barracked for the Demons.
We kids wondered what it would be like to win a Premiership,let alone a Brownlow.
Was lucky enough to attend the 1961 Grand Final.
Probably ran into Thaihawk many,many times back then.We knew people in common.

R.I.P. Michael Conlan and Thanks.
Yep different times. Thaihawk knew Hawk HOFamer and our legendary head trainer Beau Wallace very well. Now get this, since we rarely ever made finals, other finals teams requested the services of Beau (he was that good) and Hawthorn and Beau were only to happy to oblige. This is so far removed from
today's dog eat dog football world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back