Radio Triple M Footy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It's very odd that Triple M and 3aw do an extended Sunday pre-game instead of broadcasting the local 1:10pm match when the 3:20pm match is interstate. In fact, it's bizarre, and didn't happen in recent years. Yeah, big issues. :D

Have they done a deal with Hutch-pop to let SEN have the early game on their own?
Also, I gather Triple M rate well on Sundays, so perhaps they don't wanna risk their ratings by changing their routine.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's very odd that Triple M and 3aw do an extended Sunday pre-game instead of broadcasting the local 1:10pm match when the 3:20pm match is interstate. In fact, it's bizarre, and didn't happen in recent years. Yeah, big issues. :D

Have they done a deal with Hutch-pop to let SEN have the early game on their own?
Also, I gather Triple M rate well on Sundays, so perhaps they don't wanna risk their ratings by changing their routine.

The Rub on triple m rates its arse off and that's exactly why the 3.20 games is always the game chosen

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This is from the Herald-Sun in June. It's all I could find after a quick search. I dunno if things have changed, and it unfortunately doesn't give the separate ratings of pre-games and games

---------------------------------------------------------------

RADIO station 3AW is dominating the footy radio airwaves leading all timeslots in the latest ratings survey.

The Friday night team led by ex-Essendon star Matthew Lloyd and Geelong premiership player Jimmy Bartel won the all-important first slot of the weekend with an audience share of 9.5 per cent. The ABC and Triple M tied for second with a 7.5 per cent share. SEN came in fourth with a 3.6 per cent audience share.

3AW’s dominance continued on Saturday afternoons with Lloyd, Bartel and respected caller Tim Lane giving the station a 8.9 per cent audience share. Triple M is second with Brian Taylor, James Brayshaw and Wayne Carey helping the station to a 6.7 per cent share.

The result is much closer on Sundays with the Triple M team featuring Paul Roos on 7.6 per cent, just behind 3AW’s 8.3 per cent.
SEN’s strongest performance came on Saturday nights with a rating of 5.4 per cent. 3AW, lead the slot with a rating of 8.4 per cent.

FRIDAY - 3AW (9.5), ABC (7.5), Triple M (7.5), SEN (3.6).

SATURDAY - (until 5.30pm) - 3AW (8.9), Triple M (6.7), ABC (6.3), SEN (3.5).

SATURDAY NIGHT - 3AW (8.4), ABC (5.9), SEN (5.4), Triple M (4.8).

SUNDAY - 3AW (8.3), Triple M, (7.6), ABC (6), SEN (4.8).

Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
More awesome knowledge of footy history was on display again today by the Triple M Sunday guys today. They were having a quiz, and the contestants were Jay Clarke, Paul Roos and Wayne Carey.

Question: apart from St Kilda, which other team won their first premiership in the 1960s? None of them knew, or even tried to answer. 'Crikey', in my opinion.

Question: "In the 1979 Grand Final, Carlton beat Collingwood by 5 points..." Jay Clarke butted in to anticipate the rest of the question, then tried to answer with it: "I reckon it's about Jezza, because that's when he took the big mark over Jerker Jenkins." Jee, he was only 9 years out, but at least he got the teams right. :p

Is it just me, or.....?

Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
If Howie took part in that quiz and didn't know the answer to the 1st question, that would have been embarrassing considering he supports the club who won their 1st ever flag in 1961. Was the question about the 79 GF to do with Wayne Harmes.
Nah, Howie was asking the questions. Yes, the question about the 1979 GF was "who won the first Norm Smith Medal?"

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
More awesome knowledge of footy history was on display again today by the Triple M Sunday guys today. They were having a quiz, and the contestants were Jay Clarke, Paul Roos and Wayne Carey.

Question: apart from St Kilda, which other team won their first premiership in the 1960s? None of them knew, or even tried to answer. 'Crikey', in my opinion.

Question: "In the 1979 Grand Final, Carlton beat Collingwood by 5 points..." Jay Clarke butted in to anticipate the rest of the question, then tried to answer with it: "I reckon it's about Jezza, because that's when he took the big mark over Jerker Jenkins." Jee, he was only 9 years out, but at least he got the teams right. :p

Is it just me, or.....?

Who cares...go and listen to the ABC if you want boring factual information!!!

reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady
This is from the Herald-Sun in June. It's all I could find after a quick search. I dunno if things have changed, and it unfortunately doesn't give the separate ratings of pre-games and games

---------------------------------------------------------------

RADIO station 3AW is dominating the footy radio airwaves leading all timeslots in the latest ratings survey.

The Friday night team led by ex-Essendon star Matthew Lloyd and Geelong premiership player Jimmy Bartel won the all-important first slot of the weekend with an audience share of 9.5 per cent. The ABC and Triple M tied for second with a 7.5 per cent share. SEN came in fourth with a 3.6 per cent audience share.

3AW’s dominance continued on Saturday afternoons with Lloyd, Bartel and respected caller Tim Lane giving the station a 8.9 per cent audience share. Triple M is second with Brian Taylor, James Brayshaw and Wayne Carey helping the station to a 6.7 per cent share.

The result is much closer on Sundays with the Triple M team featuring Paul Roos on 7.6 per cent, just behind 3AW’s 8.3 per cent.
SEN’s strongest performance came on Saturday nights with a rating of 5.4 per cent. 3AW, lead the slot with a rating of 8.4 per cent.

FRIDAY - 3AW (9.5), ABC (7.5), Triple M (7.5), SEN (3.6).

SATURDAY - (until 5.30pm) - 3AW (8.9), Triple M (6.7), ABC (6.3), SEN (3.5).

SATURDAY NIGHT - 3AW (8.4), ABC (5.9), SEN (5.4), Triple M (4.8).

SUNDAY - 3AW (8.3), Triple M, (7.6), ABC (6), SEN (4.8).

Do you have the latest ratings? Apparently MMM smashed Saturday?

Love you long time if you do

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I believe MMM finished top for Friday night and Saturday afternoon footy, not sure about the rest.

Nah I would doubt it, they always claim that they are the number one station but I think they mean a certain age category. 3AW is always well ahead overall I think.

reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady
Nah I would doubt it, they always claim that they are the number one station but I think they mean a certain age category. 3AW is always well ahead overall I think.

Nah wrong on that one. They were well ahead on all audiences in all slots they always dominate 10-55 but this was 10+

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Will we see a shake up in MMM commentary for next year?

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Will we see a shake up in MMM commentary for next year?

I think they might, the network has been making some fairly big changes in the last six months. For example:
- They are networking more shows
- Dropped their cricket coverage
- Called a heap more football games from the studio
- In Adelaide we don't receive the same hours of MMM football as we used to due to programming changes / ratings.

Reubski23 has said they have the top rating football coverage but it wouldn't surprise me if they make some changes.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Cant fathom anyone listening to football on MMM.
Bogan central
Just horrible.

Can't fathom why anyone would wanna be in your company. Your like a moron who walks into a bottle o and says "I don't like alcohol" awesome mate now * off an let us enjoy it.

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Have we heard any whispers from Triple M about their AFL coverage this year?
Because last year, in all honesty, last years was dog sh*t.

I quite enjoy all the blokeness and banter that use to go on a few years ago but last year they were stuck half way between that and being serious and it just didn't work. And the ratings at the end of the day reflected that.

Hope the Chef comes back.

Back