Radio Triple M Footy

Have we heard any whispers from Triple M about their AFL coverage this year?
Because last year, in all honesty, last years was dog sh*t.

I quite enjoy all the blokeness and banter that use to go on a few years ago but last year they were stuck half way between that and being serious and it just didn't work. And the ratings at the end of the day reflected that.

Hope the Chef comes back.
JB being there part time sure didn't help.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Have we heard any whispers from Triple M about their AFL coverage this year?
Because last year, in all honesty, last years was dog sh*t.

I quite enjoy all the blokeness and banter that use to go on a few years ago but last year they were stuck half way between that and being serious and it just didn't work. And the ratings at the end of the day reflected that.

Hope the Chef comes back.

Agreed, loved the piss taking nature of the show.
Garry basically pulled the network apart by banging bills ex. Spud left with him to SEN and that started them changing the Friday rub. Mark Howard's the problem, that little * would rather do interviews with players wives than try and actually produce entertainment.

Sadly I fear the good old days are gone.

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Garry basically pulled the network apart by banging bills ex. Spud left with him to SEN and that started them changing the Friday rub. Mark Howard's the problem, that little **** would rather do interviews with players wives than try and actually produce entertainment.

Agreed. I am sort of lost for an AFL radio station now. It always use to be MMM.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Garry basically pulled the network apart by banging bills ex. Spud left with him to SEN and that started them changing the Friday rub. Mark Howard's the problem, that little **** would rather do interviews with players wives than try and actually produce entertainment.

Yeah JB, Garry, Spud and BT were the catalyst for that show. Genuine mates who took the piss out of each other. Was great listening on the midday rub. Now they try and do similar with blokes thrown together without the genuine best mates. Doesn't work as well. Still get a bit of gold from time to time

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Agreed. I am sort of lost for an AFL radio station now. It always use to be MMM.
It's all pretty terrible now.

Yeah JB, Garry, Spud and BT were the catalyst for that show. Genuine mates who took the piss out of each other. Was great listening on the midday rub. Now they try and do similar with blokes thrown together without the genuine best mates. Doesn't work as well. Still get a bit of gold from time to time

Yup Carey is no good for comedy and bill i like on the rush hour but not the rub.

I miss those big 7 minute long piss takes they would do on one bloke. Mostly on spud actually, chompgate, makeup gate, treadmill gate etc.

The station has really lost its identity because blokes aren't allowed to like bloke things anymore

reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady
I have listed to MMM since I was a 12 year old in 2002. I don’t think I have ever liked anything better than the 12-6 slot on the Saturday. So many different incarnations with the core of JB being the main stayer. In the early 2000’s it was JB, BT, Sam, Dunstall & Hutchy, then it was JB, Bt, Sam & Spud then it was the the main group of guys JB, Gary, Spud and Damo with bt there in the first three years of that group and the last year.

I honestly think JB is one of the greatest radio talents going around; but I feel his interest has waned a bit with regards to MMM football it’s still good but I think losing Garry who fed off him so well + the focus on c7 has had an impact. Although I believe the Saturday ratings for through the roof in the last three surveys.

I absolutely can’t stand the current Friday night coverage it’s so bad! Mark Howard seems like great guy but seriously he isn’t a great talent. I’m not sure how he has managed to be the helm of their second biggest slot (Friday Night) and one of the hosts of Fox Cricket. It’s literally beyond me

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I have listed to MMM since I was a 12 year old in 2002. I don’t think I have ever liked anything better than the 12-6 slot on the Saturday. So many different incarnations with the core of JB being the main stayer. In the early 2000’s it was JB, BT, Sam, Dunstall & Hutchy, then it was JB, Bt, Sam & Spud then it was the the main group of guys JB, Gary, Spud and Damo with bt there in the first three years of that group and the last year.

I honestly think JB is one of the greatest radio talents going around; but I feel his interest has waned a bit with regards to MMM football it’s still good but I think losing Garry who fed off him so well + the focus on c7 has had an impact. Although I believe the Saturday ratings for through the roof in the last three surveys.

I absolutely can’t stand the current Friday night coverage it’s so bad! Mark Howard seems like great guy but seriously he isn’t a great talent. I’m not sure how he has managed to be the helm of their second biggest slot (Friday Night) and one of the hosts of Fox Cricket. It’s literally beyond me

Mate the Saturday rubs were as funny as any comedy podcast you can find on the internet and these blokes are just ex footballers and JB. They way they set up the piss take sessions were classic and they even created characters for themselves.
JB was team leader an mostly himself then you had Chief who was the cynical an sharp tongued bullet shooter, Gaz as the lone wolf who I think played a huge part in production. Spud as the clown an all around punching bag who came up with some hilarious segments such as the head wobbler and the golden trumpet. Glass eye was funny aswell.

I miss the good an bad votes, hearing them give drive buys to under 50 games was hilarious. The world's getting too serious now

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mate the Saturday rubs were as funny as any comedy podcast you can find on the internet and these blokes are just ex footballers and JB. They way they set up the piss take sessions were classic and they even created characters for themselves.
JB was team leader an mostly himself then you had Chief who was the cynical an sharp tongued bullet shooter, Gaz as the lone wolf who I think played a huge part in production. Spud as the clown an all around punching bag who came up with some hilarious segments such as the head wobbler and the golden trumpet. Glass eye was funny aswell.

I miss the good an bad votes, hearing them give drive buys to under 50 games was hilarious. The world's getting too serious now

It was champagne radio and will never be re produced

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The Saturday pre-game is still good when BT and Brayshaw have got something funny to hang s**t on someone about, but it's nowhere near as good as the old days.
I still haven't seen the footy radio ratings breakdown for last year. People say who won and who lost, but there are no numbers going around

Last edited:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The Saturday pre-game is still good when BT and Brayshaw have got something funny to hang s**t on someone, but it's nowhere near as good as the old days.
I still haven't seen the footy radio ratings breakdown for last year. People say who won and who lost, but there are no numbers going around

Yeah but the Carey brings it down again. He ain't funny. If they could swap Judd onto Saturdays for him it could have a mini revival

reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady
Actually one of the better off the cuff moments of the Rub came last year. It was when BT said his moustache was there for medical reasons. I forgot about it until it was mentioned on the Sounding Board podcast today. But far out I lost it when I heard that live.

The thing with BT is he doesn’t mind getting bullied by people he thinks are equals or better like Sam, JB & Garry. But he has no time for being ribbed by lesser media performers such as Damo, Carey etc. there was at least a couple of time he cracked it last year

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
They’ve gutted the place…
This weeks lineup reeks of B Grade, something not normally associated with Triple M IMO.

Thursday Night footy:

Wayne Schwass, Barry Denner, Nathan Brown, Luke Hodge, Jay Clark, Michael Roberts, Ash Chua

Friday ‘Huddle’/Friday Night Footy

Luke Darcy, Mark Howard, Chris Judd, Nathan Brown, Damian Barrett, Neroli Meadows, Dr Rohan White, Ash Chua

Saturday Rub:

James Brayshaw, Brian Taylor, Wayne Carey, Damian Barrett,

Sunday Rub/Sunday Afternoon Footy

Mark Howard, Wayne Schwass, Wayne Carey, Paul Roos, Jay Clark, Michael Roberts, Ash Chua

I know that many unforeseen circumstances have forced their hand somewhat, but I miss the good old days of the rub with JB, Garry, Chief, Spud and Damo (or a combination of them anyway)… I didn’t even mind last year without Garry. But this year, Barrett is the only one left from that great team left on a Friday night. Why did JB have to give up Friday nights? I mean, it’s not like he’s up to his ears in work… no more footy show, no more NMFC, and as far as I can tell, the rush hour is his only other major commitment throughout the week. And what has happened to Dunstall? He has been on the midweek rub on the rush hour, but he hasn’t appeared on the footy broadcast yet. Does anyone know if he’s coming back to the coverage or if he too is scaling back his radio work?

It has definitely affected the way I consume footy, and I will certainly not be listening to the Ms as much as I used to… it is a sad state of affairs.

So you enjoyed the Footy Show meets Bounce "boys clubs" where they spent most of the call laughing at each other's jokes and having JB try to be the 21st century version of Rex Hunt?

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So you enjoyed the Footy Show meets Bounce "boys clubs" where they spent most of the call laughing at each other's jokes and having JB try to be the 21st century version of Rex Hunt?

Why are you on a thread if you don't like the people? Piss off. We liked MMM an no one has to justify it to you
The footy show wasn't the bounce, it was an extension of MMM.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Actually one of the better off the cuff moments of the Rub came last year. It was when BT said his moustache was there for medical reasons. I forgot about it until it was mentioned on the Sounding Board podcast today. But far out I lost it when I heard that live.

The thing with BT is he doesn’t mind getting bullied by people he thinks are equals or better like Sam, JB & Garry. But he has no time for being ribbed by lesser media performers such as Damo, Carey etc. there was at least a couple of time he cracked it last year

There was also a moment when BT came into the box for possibly Easter Monday or one of the special podcast and unloaded on the Friday team with a spray. Was pretty bloody funny

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
As much as I don’t really care for Triple M it is a pity Judd wasn’t around when they had the golden days of the rub. His sense of humour is perfect for it.

Surprised to see you poking your head around in here but yeah he really would have.
It's tough to be funny in the way the rub was not many can pull it off

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I can’t stand Judd but he is a pretty funny dude

Very quick witted fella. Thought he was gonna be a good pick up for the footy show but I don't think he knew quite what role to play.

He would be excellent on the Sunday footy show

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Sunday TFS is miles ahead of the Thursday show, even with TJ being an incredibly unlikeable bloke.

Yeah it's always been a good watch, think having no audience allows them to be more relaxed taking the piss out of each other.
TJ is a * load better than rompingwins, the 7 show is ******* weird

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah it's always been a good watch, think having no audience allows them to be more relaxed taking the piss out of each other.
TJ is a **** load better than rompingwins, the 7 show is ******* weird

Yeah no qualms on Hame, bloke loves the smell of his own farts. I only watch the front bar and Sunday TFS these days, front bar is genuinely entertaining because they get older ez players on who don’t have a filter and are genuinely entertaining (Molloy is still garbage though).

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah no qualms on Hame, bloke loves the smell of his own farts. I only watch the front bar and Sunday TFS these days, front bar is genuinely entertaining because they get older ez players on who don’t have a filter and are genuinely entertaining (Molloy is still garbage though).

Yeah both good shows that are good for a laugh. It's amazing how funny almost all of the ex players are, you could listen to em spin a yarn for hours over a coldy

Back