Radio Triple M Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Billy Brownless playing for Assumption in 1984. I think Steve Silvagni is also playing

Yes that is Stephen Silvagni as captain for Marcellin College in 1984. They said that he would be a proud boy tonight, and that his dad Sergio will be even prouder. Brownless (28/1/67) is only 4 months older than Silvagni (31/5/67). Another name that was playing for Marcellin on that night was Gavin Brown (29/9/67), who kicks a goal later in the call.

No wonder Marcellin won the match they had two AFL Premiership players playing for them and one of them was full back of the centenery. Brownless was only a three time Grand Finalist.

Great to see Waverley Park used for something like that. Wonder where it is played today?

I spent a lot of today driving, so I heard a bit of the Triple M coverage:

- they weren't at all subtle about not being in Townsville. They spoke about being in South Melbourne (ie. the studio) during the rub.
- Chua wasn't on today, he managed to get himself into the North Melbourne premiership reunion.
- coming back from half time they talked about Bill being back from the marquee, so maybe he was in Townsville? Unlikely though.
- you could tell during the coverage that they were calling off the tv - it's brazenly obvious when they're making errors and showing surprise at things that wouldn't happen if you were calling from today.
Plus in thier instagram story they had photos of both BT and Carey in the South Melbourne studio.

Yes that is Stephen Silvagni as captain for Marcellin College in 1984. They said that he would be a proud boy tonight, .......
Really good effort by Bob Skilton to learn all the names for a school game.
Can anyone imagine the current Ch 7 "big guns" going to the trouble to do that? :D

Really good effort by Bob Skilton to learn all the names for a school game.
Can anyone imagine the current Ch 7 "big guns" going to the trouble to do that? :D

Skilts and McKenna did most of those Herald Shield games which were curtain raisers to the Night Series.

I hope at least Michael Roberts was at the ground, or else that would be another level of deceit :p

Given he was boundary for Carlton vs Dogs I doubt it. Besides if a team was going to be based there they probably would have sent a couple of Qld based guys (Champion/McKernan etc) to call rather than use the main Saturday Afternoon team.

Sorry, I should've said that I meant today in Tassie

Not sure but wouldn't be shocked if they worked without a boundary rider and got the information off a twitter feed.

And for those wondering about a studio call, MMM NRL does the same thing basically for any non Finals/Origin/Broncos home game (Brisbane gets Broncos games on their MMM using their own call team) based outside the Sydney metropolitan area. They don't travel to call games in Newcastle (local broadcaster does calls specific for Knights games), Wollongong, Canberra, Auckland etc leaving only a sideline reporter who also handles post match interviews. There have even been times where they've had to call games from Cronulla from the studio because of a lack of broadcast boxes. They're not hiding from that fact either, quite often stating they're from the studio to save money. 2GB are the same calling games from the "Interactive Studio". Being an Origin game and a stand alone fixture though they will be in Perth next Sunday Night to call from the venue.

I spent a lot of today driving, so I heard a bit of the Triple M coverage:

- they weren't at all subtle about not being in Townsville. They spoke about being in South Melbourne (ie. the studio) during the rub.
- Chua wasn't on today......
Ooops, I meant jay Clark, who kept saying he was near the bench in Townsville with Cam Mooney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another "tv call" today. I suppose I should just get over it, :D but it still bugs me a bit, and i reckon it's stupid when it's a Brisbane or NSW game, because they've got a perfectly adequate crew up there. At least they had a real boundary rider at the ground, I'm pretty sure. I understand if they want the a-team on, but Schwass, Howard, Eade, Carey and 'Jay Zee' Clarke aren't exactly BT, Brayshaw, et al

Last edited:
I miss Garry Lyon being on Triple M. I know Garry is obviously blacklisted and even if he were to ever go back it would never be the same but that 2009-12 period was the peak of Triple M's ridiculous calls which just made the games so much more entertaining. The Tip Rat and Push up days.
Plus Gaz is actually pretty funny and him an JB work well together.

Another "tv call" today. I suppose I should just get over it, :D but it still bugs me a bit, and i reckon it's stupid when it's a Brisbane or NSW game, because they've got a perfectly adequate crew up there. At least they had a real boundary rider at the ground, I'm pretty sure. I understand if they want the a-team on, but Schwass, Howard, Eade, Carey and 'Jay Zee' Clarke aren't exactly BT, Brayshaw, et al
Will be another Staurday arvo for Hawks vs Dockers. Brayshaw is listed to be calling.
Don't think you can get from Launceston to Geelong in 2 hours.

I thought they couldn’t get anyone more annoying that “Howie”. But now they have Sarah Ollie from FoxSports on Dead Set Legends on a Saturday morning. The most annoying laugh you will ever hear. Drives you insane.

Those molehill incidents that were made into mountains have completely sanitized MMM.

Used to be a funny call of games while still calling the game (unlike TV commentators), but now they try to be serious and fake excitement. It's dull and their talent doesn't have the natural ability to be funny nor exciting.

Then there's the constant Maccas references. Please, Barry, give it a rest. You don't need to make a subtly obvious reference to them in every sentence. We get it, they sponsor the call, but not mentioning them until you're in the/going to breaks won't make people forget about them.

Saturday felt like a bit of the old - JB full arrogant mode, BT teeing off at him about it, BT sooking about mid season holidays.

They kept pretending they were in Launceston on Saturday. BT slipped up at least once. When talking to Blair Brownless, who was in Tassie, he said, "what's the weather like? It's snowing here in Victoria." They all laughed at him. :D
Then Brayshaw said to Carey yesterday: "you're wearing the same shorts you wore in Launceston"
Piss orff.

They kept pretending they were in Launceston on Saturday. BT slipped up at least once. When talking to Blair Brownless, who was in Tassie, he said, "what's the weather like? It's snowing here in Victoria." They all laughed at him. :D
Then Brayshaw said to Carey yesterday: "you're wearing the same shorts you wore in Launceston"
Piss orff.

Does it actually matter that much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back