Radio Triple M Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Why back to an hour only?
This is just a guess, but I'd say it's mostly about where to fit them in. It seems as though Mick Molloy and Jane Kennedy rate ok, and Bill and Brayshaw may be a little wasted off-peak at 2pm. Six o'clock is more prime time for them, and after 7pm, FM stations target teenagers listening to music and "hip" DJs.
Either that, or, as Hutchy says, it's just another way that Brayshaw has managed to cull his workload :p

Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Tim Watson reckons that Ross Lyon will do a spot on Triple M Footy this year. Ah well, he couldn't be any worse than Rodney Eade. I just hope (and predict) that it'll be on one of the Off-Broadway slots, such as 4:40pm, unless Rocket is getting the arse, in which case he can do Sunday early

Why back to an hour only?

In line with networking for Sydney and Brisbane who have their Rush Hours at the same time (Sydney hosted by Mark Geyer, Brisbane by Ben Dobbin, leading into the creep hosting rock song dedications which is throughout metro and regional networks at 7 on non-football nights.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hopefully the rub can return closer to former glories this year. Terrible in the last few years.

Hopefully the rub can return closer to former glories this year. Terrible in the last few years.

Not until Duck leaves. Bloke isn’t funny.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Dale ‘Daisy’ Thomas To Rock Triple M Footy In 2020

Triple-M-Footy-Daisy-800x450.jpg

It will be a case of out of the jungle, into the commentary box for former Blue and Magpie Dale Thomas who has officially joined the Triple M commentary team for the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership season.

Fresh from a stint on Network Ten’s I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here, the 258-game premiership veteran will bring his unique style of humour and flair to the broadcast as well as a contemporary analysis of the game having retired at the end of 2019.

Thomas had initially hoped to continue his career at the highest level, however after a few months away from the daily grind of pre-season, Daisy is more than comfortable in retirement and says he is looking forward to joining a commentary team that he has listened to throughout his decorated career.

On joining Triple M Footy, Dale said: “I’ve grown up listening Triple M, so to have this opportunity to join the team has me pumped!”

Now in its 24th consecutive season, the Triple M Footy call not only boasts the most qualified, entertaining and star-studded team in the business, but is also Australia’s #1 AFL call on radio*!

Triple M’s Head of Sport, Ewan Giles, said: “Daisy has been a friend of Triple M Footy for a long time, so it was an easy decision to get him onboard for 2020. If he can survive in the jungle then the commentary box should be a walk in the park!”

Triple M Footy kicks off for 2020 with Rd 1 between Richmond V Carlton live from the MCG. Dale will join Nathan Brown, Leigh Montagna, Barry Denner, Ash Chua and Sarah Olle. Tune in from around the country via the Triple M Footy app or online at www.triplem.com.au.

Triple M Footy 2020: James Brayshaw, Brian Taylor, Wayne Carey, Chris Judd, Luke Darcy, Dennis Cometti, Mark Ricciuto, Billy Brownless, Dale Thomas, Mark Howard, Leigh Montagna, Simon Black, Bernie Vince, Andrew Embley, Jude Bolton, Dom Cassisi, Rhett Biglands, Michael Roberts, Jay Clark, Tom Browne, Dr Rohan White, Lachy Reid, Tania Armstrong, Brenton Yates, Kate McCarthy, Richard Champion, Belinda Mellen, Liam Flanagan, Troy Luff, Brad Seymour, Sarah Olle.

Source: Triple M media release

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Hmm, Barrett's name is on some of the lineup lists, but not on others.

MOpj5Lc.jpg

I think he was added after the initial list was released.

I think Triple M's biggest problem is the most high profile names including Brayshaw and BT and others listed at the top do very little MMM football because of TV commitments. Throw that in with the losses of guys like Lyon, Dunstall and Frawley over the years and they just don't have the quality.

Their actual main commentary lineup during the normal season is very B grade. Obviously you don't expect them to have five commentary teams that are all full of superstars but they barely have one most weekends.

SmAshmoto

Team Captain
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Valentino Rossi, Melbourne Stars
Where was Brayshaw on their first day back?

Still on holidays.

I think the 6pm time slot will be the death of this show. This show was an afternoon drive time show and used to bleed perfectly into the Friday Rub.

Now with JB on 7 doing commentary he'll almost never be on of a Friday once the full season starts. I don't understand how Kennedy Molloy has so much clout in that timeslot, I've always found their show to be mediocre at best.

Such a shame that we had such a great thing going with MMM Footy and now it's come to this.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Still on holidays.

I think the 6pm time slot will be the death of this show. This show was an afternoon drive time show and used to bleed perfectly into the Friday Rub.

Now with JB on 7 doing commentary he'll almost never be on of a Friday once the full season starts. I don't understand how Kennedy Molloy has so much clout in that timeslot, I've always found their show to be mediocre at best.

Such a shame that we had such a great thing going with MMM Footy and now it's come to this.
JB hasn't done Friday nights in years mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Still on holidays.

JB will have an increase in TV commitments this year so he will be on less and less. This will be the last year of the show. Having Kennedy Malloy in the time slot is a national syndicated decision.

Triple M are cutting costs wherever they can.

Tyzza_07_09_11

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2016
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
MelbourneStars, Triple Eight Racing
Still on holidays.

So once the footy starts, does this timeslot mean that The Rush Hour will be reduced to 4 shows a week, as the Rub (in the past at least) begins at 6? Potentially 3 shows when Thursday night footy happens?

A real shame.

BuddysBiggestFan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2008
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
First 2 nights have been rubbish. Daisy adds nothing but is apparently their big recruit.
Turned it back on at 6:54pm, was already wrapped up.
How hard is it to fill an hour?

Hmm, Barrett's name is on some of the lineup lists, but not on others.

MOpj5Lc.jpg
It was mentioned on the hot breakfast this morning that the whole Barrett getting the chop was a tongue in cheek thing from Luke Darcy.

Still on holidays.

Given the Friday Huddle is on at 6PM I'd say during football season there won't be a Friday show.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
First 2 nights have been rubbish. Daisy adds nothing but is apparently their big recruit.
Turned it back on at 6:54pm, was already wrapped up.
How hard is it to fill an hour?
The podcast for tonight's show goes for 28 mins 22 seconds, which I gather includes some recorded intros and outros.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
* the new generation of Australian soft campaigners. Single handedly taken away all the entertainment out of Aussie rules football and the associated media.

Australia went from being one of the hardest countries on earth with the best senses of humour to bring one of the softest most outraged on earth.

MauroFogheri

Fill the crucible
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
fu** the new generation of Australian soft campaigners. Single handedly taken away all the entertainment out of Aussie rules football and the associated media.

Australia went from being one of the hardest countries on earth with the best senses of humour to bring one of the softest most outraged on earth.
The Barry HALL thing? Sometimes even when you don't agree with the level of outrage you can still understand why it is happening (like drowning Wilson); with the sticky fingers I literally had no idea why it caught fire the way it did....(FFS, a 60 Minutes Mea Culpa?????)

Oct 2, 2007
Willy back beach
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC Williamstown FC
Still on holidays.

I don't mind Molloy, I do find him to be funny. When Kennedy has to host it without Molloy it goes to s**t though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back