CENTRE: WELLS- O'MEARA- CLARKE

FORWARD: HIGGINS- DAW- WOOD
FULL FORWARD: DUMONT- BROWN- THOMAS

RR: GOLDSTEIN- SWALLOW, SWALLOW

INT: CUNNNGTON, JACOBS, TURNER, EVW

trade Out: Atley, Hansen, Ziebell
trade in: O'meara, David Swallow, Mitch Brown Free agent

Death and taxes.

But seriously, that fraud has no business being on the list if Boomer isn't.

Waite, Wells and Thompson are the only ones I'll cop over 30.
You really a a bitter disrespectful knob Arjen. Your constant abuse of Gibson and other players for the Royal Blue and White is disgusting.

Why don't you set yourself a challenge and stfu until the trade period and actually support 'your' club for a change.

Thompson Tarrant Wright
EVW May L-Mac
Cunnington Wells J-Mac
Higgins Wood Waite
Thomas Brown Wagner

Goldstein Fyfe O'Meara

Dumont Anderson Mountford Gibson Clarke

Reality:

Z.Clarke C.Mayne Z.Dawson

Last edited:

I've picked a team without possible free agents and players traded in.

Wright, Tarrant, Vickers-Willis
McDonald, Thompson, Atley
Clarke, Wells, Wood
Higgins, Brown, Cunnington
Thomas, Waite, Ziebell
Goldstein, Jacobs, A.Swallow
Mountford, Dumont, Anderson, Daw

FB. LMac Tarrant Wright
HB. EVW Thompson Hibberd
C. Wells Cunnington JMac
HF. Garner Brown Higgins
FF. Thomas Waite Wood
R. Goldstein Swallow JZ
Int. Jacobs, Gibson, Clarke, Dumont
Eme: Daw, Mountford, Anderson

Picked from players we have currently.......

You really a a bitter disrespectful knob Arjen. Your constant abuse of Gibson and other players for the Royal Blue and White is disgusting.

Why don't you set yourself a challenge and stfu until the trade period and actually support 'your' club for a change.

You can love the club and bag the players.

It's called being a supporter.

You just can't do it in Australia as it's considered inappropriate behaviour by the nanny state operators.

He is a disgrace to the jumper, he is s**t, and if he plays whilst boomer is running around for Preston RSL legends, that will be the final dagger for me.

But if you asking me to not get involved in trade and draft discussion, then I will say with limited due respect. GAGF.

I'd rather not comment on the actual season, the offseason is my season and the only source of hope and joy in my life.

I'm with Arjen. If they are happy to let Boomer go, Gibson should not get a game over a younger kid. I know he has elite endurance but there are others on our list who can run alot as well. Ball use is one of our biggest concerns and he is one of the main culprits

Clarke
Dumont
McDonald
Goldy
Tarrant
Wood
Brown
The rest ??????
Especially Scotts.

Last edited:
Find Some Pace in the Midfield We'll be a much better team next season. Hopefully we can get some luck with the health of a younger players next season. A Full Year of Wood,Garner,Anderson,McDonald would be fantastic. Wood and McDonald are potential stars.
We need skills and pace with different game plans.

B: Wright(9) Thompson(10) McDonald(4)
HB: Atley(7) Tarrant(10) MacMillan(8)
C: Wells(15) Clarke(2) Higgins(3)
HF: Anderson(2) Waite(3) Ziebell(9)
F: Thomas(11) Brown(4) Wood(5)
R: Goldstein(11) Cunnington(8) Swallow(12)
I: Daw(8) Gibson(6) Jacobs(5) Dumont(4)
E: Garner(4) Turner(4) Mullet(7) Wagner(2) Durdin(3) Nielson(3)
Vickers-Wills(3) McKay(2) Hibberd(2) Mountford(2) Preuss(3) Fordham(3) Hansen(11) Black(8) McKenzie(6) Tippet(4)

*Four players to be added plus 2 rookies.

Currently without any FA or trades this is our round 1 team. The number in brackets is the years they've been at the club. Looking across the board that is pretty experienced and I actually think with a full strength side we'll still be there abouts.
Straight away though clearly we are too short in defence so N Brown would be a good get to free up Thompson as the medium defender.
Definitely need an A grade mid with some dash and one with skills to come into the midfield.
We don't need halfbacks and we don't need forwards. Lyons and Tuohy would seem surplus to our requirements.
I would be content bringing N Brown, Hartlett and D Swallow to the club, whilst retaining Wells, Waite and Daw. That is a good off season. Our depth is pretty poor though, so a year like 2016 would see us finish well outside the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who thinks that getting rid of Bastinac was a bad idea? His foot skills in general traffic are superior to what we currently have, and he was handy around the goal too.

The 'meat grinder' that was being spouted around here for years on end has proven to be a bust, and I agree that Swallow, Cunners and Jack in the centre does not work.

Am I the only one who thinks that getting rid of Bastinac was a bad idea? His foot skills in general traffic are superior to what we currently have, and he was handy around the goal too.

The 'meat grinder' that was being spouted around here for years on end has proven to be a bust, and I agree that Swallow, Cunners and Jack in the centre does not work.
Lyons is an upgrade on Bastinac.

I didn't at the time, but if this year has taught us any lessons, it is that we do not have depth. He would have been rather useful.

Then again, who did we get for him, McKay? Will all depend on how he goes I would think.

Whatever happens I want to see all these guys getting plenty of game time next year.

Atley - Brown - Wood - Garner - Anderson - McDonald – Dumont - Turner - Vickers-Willis - Nielsen – Clarke

All will be 24 and younger next season and all need to play consistent footy at AFL level. Atley and McDonald need to be released from their primarily defensive roles and given a little more freedom up the ground. Christ, I’d rather see Atley play as a defensive winger than as a back pocket for another year. At least then he may have some room to operate once he gets his hands on the ball. McDonald on ball. Just let him loose.

After then we have Hibberd, Wagner and Mountford who will hopefully get a taste and then McKay and Durdin with another year in the twos and Preuss getting more experience in the VFL. Then at least 4 more draftees (all ******* midfielders please) playing at Werribee.

This exposure needs to happen in 2017 because we still have 7 players with claims of being best 22 who will be 29 or older next season. We can’t find ourselves in a position in 2 years time when half these guys get delisted and we haven’t given the younger guys enough experience

I don't see this drop off really happening at all. I mean, after we get our injured players back an argument could be made that we'll actually improve on this season.

I'm not giving up on Wells yet, but other than that we've lost a 34 year old underperforming key forward, a soft, slow outside mid who had decent skills and could find the footy but lacked defensive efforts; a solid and dependable, but the easiest to replace, back pocket; and a gun mid-forward who's attacking output is irreplaceable but who lacked defensive efforts.

When you replace those guys with the likes of Wright, Jacobs, Higgins, Wood, McDonald, Garner, Turner etc who will all hopefully play full seasons next year then I just don't see where this massive drop off that everyone expects is going to come from.

We need another KPD through trade/FA (Brown) or to develop quickly (Durdin, Nielsen) and an speedy outside mid with decent skills, or 2 if Wells leaves.

This is our round 1 team last season - so effectively our best 22 - with the guys who have left and Wells replaces with players already on our list. Before the trade/FA period this is what I expect our best 22 to look like at round 1 next season.

Mullett - Tarrant - Wright
Atley - Thompson - MacMillan
McDonald - Jacobs - Clarke
Higgins - Waite - Brown
Wood - Daw - Thomas
Goldstein - Cunnington - Ziebell

Bench from: Anderson - Garner - Swallow - Gibson - Dumont - Turner - Vickers-Willis - McKenzie - Wagner - Mountford - Hibberd

If we replace someone like Mullett or Atley with another KPD in Brown then that back half looks very strong. Without Petrie the forward line looks dynamic, mobile and unpredictable. We do lack speed and a bit of class through the middle but that's our only glaring deficiency.

That team is more than capable of playing finals footy and I would be very disappointed if we've already given up on that in the name of a 'reset' or 'rebuild.'

The biggest hurdle that we will have to overcome is any mental demons that linger from the second half of this season and the loss of those experienced players. It's the responsibility of the coaching staff to ensure that this doesn't become an issue.

Last edited:
Whatever happens I want to see all these guys getting plenty of game time next year.

Atley - Brown - Wood - Garner - Anderson - McDonald – Dumont - Turner - Vickers-Willis - Nielsen – Clarke

All will be 24 and younger next season and all need to play consistent footy at AFL level. Atley and McDonald need to be released from their primarily defensive roles and given a little more freedom up the ground. Christ, I’d rather see Atley play as a defensive winger than as a back pocket for another year. At least then he may have some room to operate once he gets his hands on the ball. McDonald on ball. Just let him loose.

After then we have Hibberd, Wagner and Mountford who will hopefully get a taste and then McKay and Durdin with another year in the twos and Preuss getting more experience in the VFL. Then at least 4 more draftees (all ******* midfielders please) playing at Werribee.

This exposure needs to happen in 2017 because we still have 7 players with claims of being best 22 who will be 29 or older next season. We can’t find ourselves in a position in 2 years time when half these guys get delisted and we haven’t given the younger guys enough experience

Which is why we need to trade Swallow, Goldstein, Hansen and Gibson this season before they too become worthless on the open market.

All we've done to this point in regards to list management, is the obvious.

If we don't pull the trigger on some of these blokes now, we will be in the exact same scenario in 2 years, but with an older less talented core.

I don't see this drop off really happening at all. I mean, after we get our injured players back an argument could be made that we'll actually improve on this season.

I'm not giving up on Wells yet, but other than that we've lost a 34 year old underperforming key forward, a soft, slow outside mid who had decent skills and could find the footy but lacked defensive efforts; a solid and dependable, but the easiest to replace, back pocket; and a gun mid-forward who's attacking output is irreplaceable but who lacked defensive efforts.

When you replace those guys with the likes of Wright, Jacobs, Higgins, Wood, McDonald, Garner, Turner etc who will all hopefully play full seasons next year then I just don't see where this massive drop off that everyone expects is going to come from.

We need another KPD through trade/FA (Brown) or to develop quickly (Durdin, Nielsen) and an speedy outside mid with decent skills, or 2 if Wells leaves.

This is our round 1 team last season - so effectively our best 22 - with the guys who have left and Wells replaces with players already on our list. Before the trade/FA period this is what I expect our best 22 to look like at round 1 next season.

Mullett - Tarrant - Wright
Atley - Thompson - MacMillan
McDonald - Jacobs - Clarke
Higgins - Waite - Brown
Wood - Daw - Thomas
Goldstein - Cunnington - Ziebell

Bench from: Anderson - Garner - Swallow - Gibson - Dumont - Turner - Vickers-Willis - McKenzie - Wagner - Mountford - Hibberd

If we replace someone like Mullett or Atley with another KPD in Brown then that back half looks very strong. Without Petrie the forward line looks dynamic, mobile and unpredictable. We do lack speed and a bit of class through the middle but that's our only glaring deficiency.

That team is more than capable of playing finals footy and I would be very disappointed if we've already given up on that in the name of a 'reset' or 'rebuild.'

The biggest hurdle that we will have to overcome is any mental demons that linger from the second half of this season and the loss of those experienced players. It's the responsibility of the coaching staff to ensure that this doesn't become an issue.
Top post....Spot on!

Yes you are.

Wright Tarrant McDonald
Tuohy Thompson N brown
Macmillan Swallow Gibson
Wood Waite Higgins
Thomas Brown Garner

Goldstein Ziebell Cunnington

Dumont Jacobs Atley Clarke

In the mix : Daw Anderson turner Mckenzie mullet.

Think tuohy is an excellent replacement for spud, which allows Jmac to move onto a wing to somewhat replace wells. N brown sures up out KPD stocks. Getting someone like D swallow to possibly replace Jacobs in the side will make us look a lot more threatening. If we can get tuohy, N brown, D swallow, and maybe someone like J Lyons I think we will finish in a similar position to this season with an easier fixture.

At least there will be no expectations on us in 2017. We are written off in the best of years, so pundits galore will have us in the bottom 6. No more Dad's Army barbs, replaced by inexperienced and unproven criticisms. Hopefully, it will be a case of 2017 - Under the radar.

Still 4 months to deal with this year. Will drink and grimace my way through the trade period, embrace the shiny new things of the draft, then celebrate the guys training the house down over summer, grab our 2017 memberships, then start on my Christmas wish list.

My early wish list for 2017 includes:
- JZ making his mark as skipper
- Fit and firing Goldy and Cunners returning to their best form
- Wood, Garner, Clarke and Dumont showing they are stars in the making
- The Brown-Wood-Daw combo starting to gel
- Turner taking over from Spud as the hardman
- Jed Anderson proving his worth with a solid pre-season under his belt
- Media chatter about North's debutants - EVW, Durdin, Mountford, Hibberd
- And making the Goldy-Daw ruck combo the most dangerous in the league
- Oh, and 12 wins.....

I really hope we don't trade for any players unless they are 22 or younger, athletic and skilled. We need to go to the draft and pick wisely and back in our last 3 years recruiting in particular to come through.

Team for me without substituting in young blokes when anyone is remotely injured.

EVW Tarrant McDonald

Atley Hansen McMillan

Anderson Dumont Gibson

Higgins Waite Wood

Garner Brown Turner

Rucks: Goldy Zeibell Clarke

IC Cunnington Daw Mullet (Jacobs or Swallow)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back