R1 2017. Hows it look?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see this drop off really happening at all. I mean, after we get our injured players back an argument could be made that we'll actually improve on this season.

I'm not giving up on Wells yet, but other than that we've lost a 34 year old underperforming key forward, a soft, slow outside mid who had decent skills and could find the footy but lacked defensive efforts; a solid and dependable, but the easiest to replace, back pocket; and a gun mid-forward who's attacking output is irreplaceable but who lacked defensive efforts.

When you replace those guys with the likes of Wright, Jacobs, Higgins, Wood, McDonald, Garner, Turner etc who will all hopefully play full seasons next year then I just don't see where this massive drop off that everyone expects is going to come from.

We need another KPD through trade/FA (Brown) or to develop quickly (Durdin, Nielsen) and an speedy outside mid with decent skills, or 2 if Wells leaves.

This is our round 1 team last season - so effectively our best 22 - with the guys who have left and Wells replaces with players already on our list. Before the trade/FA period this is what I expect our best 22 to look like at round 1 next season.

Mullett - Tarrant - Wright
Atley - Thompson - MacMillan
McDonald - Jacobs - Clarke
Higgins - Waite - Brown
Wood - Daw - Thomas
Goldstein - Cunnington - Ziebell

Bench from: Anderson - Garner - Swallow - Gibson - Dumont - Turner - Vickers-Willis - McKenzie - Wagner - Mountford - Hibberd

If we replace someone like Mullett or Atley with another KPD in Brown then that back half looks very strong. Without Petrie the forward line looks dynamic, mobile and unpredictable. We do lack speed and a bit of class through the middle but that's our only glaring deficiency.

That team is more than capable of playing finals footy and I would be very disappointed if we've already given up on that in the name of a 'reset' or 'rebuild.'

The biggest hurdle that we will have to overcome is any mental demons that linger from the second half of this season and the loss of those experienced players. It's the responsibility of the coaching staff to ensure that this doesn't become an issue.
Good post team looks strong and exciting

And factor in a couple of recruits plus pick 11 and I actually expect an improvement on this year

My concern, ultimately is with the immovable parts of the midfield, outside of getting a Dangerfield-like A-grader, is Scott going to push out Swallow/Ziebell/Cunnington/Jacobs/Gibson from the midfield group? With Dal Santo gone and Wells likely, there is only going to be a superficial change to the midfield group unless we willingly modify the game plan & structure.

We need a lot more pace and aggression both in the middle and on the flanks, both forward and back.

Looks like we are 2-3 injuries away from finishing bottom 4.

Thompson goes down forces us to play Tippet, Duridin, Neilson.
Waite goes down forces us to play Duridin/McKay

And Thompson and Waite are starting to be injured more often than not.

Its going to be a tough year.

I've picked a team without possible free agents and players traded in.

Wright, Tarrant, Vickers-Willis
McDonald, Thompson, Atley
Clarke, Wells, Wood
Higgins, Brown, Cunnington
Thomas, Waite, Ziebell
Goldstein, Jacobs, A.Swallow
Mountford, Dumont, Anderson, Daw

Also without any free agents leaving, or players traded out. While it's not a bad attempt to field a 'best 22', it kind of highlights why some changes are needed.

I'll start with Atley and - unlike the majority - don't think he can or should play midfield. If he's to stay it's off HB and he's a one trick pony as far as pace in our backline goes. We need someone else alongside him back there. Either Mountford or the likes of Tuohy. Makes us less predictable. Relies on Sam and Luke back there taking more of the defensive load that Mullet and McKenzie weren't able to.

EVW or Luke, not both. Either EVW only as injury back up or he's on the bench OR Luke plays more in the midfield. Luke was in career best form before his injury in terms of defensive pressure and greater effectiveness and composure when moving the ball forwards. In many ways I'd be loathe to move him from defence. However, if EVW replaces him defensively and we have a Mountford/Tuohy adding the rebounding, it makes it possible.

Ah, the midfield. Our glorious, pedestrian midfield. My personal preference is to trade Swallow if possible. Yes, we'd lose his tackling presence and his leadership, however, I think we can safely say the game has passed him by. I'm talking his age, and combination of lack of speed and kicking prowess. He's the most dispensable of the 'meatgrinder 3'. Add in the likely departure of Wellsy. Yes, yes, too many leaving at once, but what's an 'aggressive reset' without the aggression? amiright or amiright?

Mids
Out: Swallow, Wells, Harvey
In: Dumont, McDonald, Clarke

Forward line is less problematic, with injuries the only/main concern, particularly with Garner. But assuming he's okay :drunk: he's in, along with Waite. Waite, Brown and Wood as the key forwards, with Wood a more mobile option than in past years. Daw on the bench to back up Goldy AND part of KP forward rotation. (whycan'twehaveboth.gif). Seems the logical way to go given his development has been in both areas. In 2018 he replaces Waite, with Durdin or McKay getting some game time.

Higgins, Anderson, Wood mix it up in the middle and up forward.

Ziebell and Jacobs round out the midfield rotations, though I have issues with the lack of pace. As long as BJ nullifies one of the opposition's best mids and breaks even offensively, he's got a place. I don't care if JZ as captain is on the bench. Doesn't mean much these days. He'd be part of the midfield rotations, mostly with Cunnington (they might as well job share). I've got another spot earmarked for a Lyons or, in an ideal world a top draft pick who, like Luke, just steps in.

Wright, Tarrant, Vickers-Willis
Mountford, Thompson, Atley
Clarke, McDonald, Higgins
Anderson, Brown, Wood
Thomas, Waite, Garner
Goldstein, Cunnington, Dumont
Ziebell, Jacobs, Daw, Trade target/1st Pick

Edit: in an ideal world there is no need for Gibson or Mullet, but I can see them getting the final bench spot.

Don't see a future for McKenzie, Hansen, Fordham. Love to see Black regain form, but assuming he's not part of the future either.

Last edited:
Not a terrible lot has changed for what I was expecting two months ago

B) Wright Tarrant Hansen
HF) McDonald Thompson McMillan
C) Atley Wells Higgins
HF) Dumont Wood Garner
F) Thomas Brown Daw

R) Goldstein Swallow Ziebell

Int) Cunnington Jacobs Turner Waite

Emg from) Anderson Gibson McKenzie Wagner Clarke Vickers-Willis

Nursery: McKay Mountford Hibberd Durdin Nielson Preuss plus 10 (maybe 1 or two ready to play trades)

Gone either trade delist or retire: Nahas Tippett Ray Petrie Firitto Mullett DalSanto Black Fordham and Harvey

If Waite got injured I suspect we would bring in someone like Turner or Garner and move Wood to that '3rd forward' type role. I agree that key defender depth is very light, but hopefully we rectify that in the trade/FA period.

KPD and outside speed in the midfield are our only deficiencies. As I said, I would be disappointed not to play finals next year, but finishing bottom 4 would be completely ridiculous. I think there will be a lot of people disappointed from other teams who expect us to drop that far next year.

The only player who is irreplaceable that we've lost is Boomer. Even then, it's only his attacking output that is irreplaceable, we might actually gain a little on the defensive front by replacing him with Turner/Garner next season.

If Waite got injured I suspect we would bring in someone like Turner or Garner and move Wood to that '3rd forward' type role. I agree that key defender depth is very light, but hopefully we rectify that in the trade/FA period.

KPD and outside speed in the midfield are our only deficiencies. As I said, I would be disappointed not to play finals next year, but finishing bottom 4 would be completely ridiculous. I think there will be a lot of people disappointed from other teams who expect us to drop that far next year.

The only player who is irreplaceable that we've lost is Boomer. Even then, it's only his attacking output that is irreplaceable, we might actually gain a little on the defensive front by replacing him with Turner/Garner next season.

I really hope we finish bottom 4 next year because we need good picks to rebuild. Finishing between 10th and 7th is killing this club.

And also - who do we beat? I can see us beating Carlton, Brisbane, port, Freo. Essendon possibly.

I really hope we finish bottom 4 next year because we need good picks to rebuild. Finishing between 10th and 7th is killing this club.

And also - who do we beat? I can see us beating Carlton, Brisbane, port, Freo. Essendon possibly.
We should feel confident of beating most teams, except for maybe away games against Adelaide, GWS and Sydney. With the players that are gone and the players that return from injury I'm actually expecting us to slightly improve. We will be a lot more dynamic up forward and also have competent small defenders. We just need a bit of speed and class in midfield. When you actually look at that team I posted on the last page instead of just descending into doomsday, full rebuild hyperbole you can actually see that it is a more than competent football side.

Honestly, I would be absolutely staggered if we're anywhere near the bottom 4.

We should feel confident of beating most teams, except for maybe away games against Adelaide, GWS and Sydney. With the players that are gone and the players that return from injury I'm actually expecting us to slightly improve. We will be a lot more dynamic up forward and also have competent small defenders. We just need a bit of speed and class in midfield. When you actually look at that team I posted on the last page instead of just descending into doomsday, full rebuild hyperbole you can actually see that it is a more than competent football side.

Honestly, I would be absolutely staggered if we're anywhere near the bottom 4.
You are a very optimistic fan, I'm not so sure myself.

2017 looks very different. But lists change more quickly than I realise sometimes. As I do when I'm feeling down about North, I fire up the YouTube machine and watch the highlights of our past 5 finals wins. 2014 was quite different to last Saturday night's team which itself was nearly unrecognisable from our 2007 semi final, 9 years ago.

The team against Adelaide last weekend featured 6 players who played in '07 - Wells, Swallow, Dish, Boomer, Hansen and Spud. Next season it is possible that only 1 of these will still be at the club.

Across town, 6 of the Hawks class of '08 will still be on their list for next season.

I think in 2017 we won't dramatically drop off if, as others have noted, we get full seasons out of the players injured this year. Concern will be if we just hang about treading water for another 5 years between 8-10th not attracting decent players and not having anything to attract them with. New list manager is encouraging just need some new tricks from Brad now.

You are a very optimistic fan, I'm not so sure myself.
It's not necessarily optimistic. I just don't think this team is anywhere near as bad as some will have us believe:

Mullett - Tarrant - Wright
Atley - Thompson - MacMillan
McDonald - Jacobs - Clarke
Higgins - Waite - Brown
Wood - Daw - Thomas
Goldstein - Cunnington - Ziebell

Bench from: Anderson - Garner - Swallow - Gibson - Dumont - Turner - Vickers-Willis - McKenzie - Wagner - Mountford - Hibberd

There is no chance that is a bottom 4 team. We've lost a slow outside mid who could find the footy and was a good kick but didn't offer anything defensively, a KPF that was awful this season, a very dependable, but relatively easily replaced, back pocket and a gun forward/mid who's attacking output is irreplaceable but who left a lot to be desired defensively.

I've already said we need an outside mid or 2 and another KPD but they are our only deficiencies. If we add Brown, Lyons and an outside mid then that team is pretty strong imo and should be playing finals.

Which is why we need to trade Swallow, Goldstein, Hansen and Gibson this season before they too become worthless on the open market.

All we've done to this point in regards to list management, is the obvious.

If we don't pull the trigger on some of these blokes now, we will be in the exact same scenario in 2 years, but with an older less talented core.
I'm keeping Goldstein, but I'm with you on the other .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concern, ultimately is with the immovable parts of the midfield, outside of getting a Dangerfield-like A-grader, is Scott going to push out Swallow/Ziebell/Cunnington/Jacobs/Gibson from the midfield group? With Dal Santo gone and Wells likely, there is only going to be a superficial change to the midfield group unless we willingly modify the game plan & structure.

We need a lot more pace and aggression both in the middle and on the flanks, both forward and back.
Can Thomas play more time in the middle?? he starts next season as an elder now......just saying like.

I would love to see Goldstein playing more time up forward next year.
I'd love to see Goldstein playing for another club and we getting some serious top grade midfielders into our team..........Brown has blossomed, from being plucked out from obscurity and Wood looks as though he is going to be a jet. So our forward line appears to be ok now for the future.

Goldstein is not going to be part of our next serious tilt........contrary to the belief of the majority here who think we should pay a larger than normal % of our salary cap to a ruckman. We need to do so on getting a truly decent A grade midfielder to the club.

Can Thomas play more time in the middle?? he starts next season as an elder now......just saying like.

Not in terms of traditional midfield role, but as a half-forward who comes well out of the F50 he could.

Not in terms of traditional midfield role, but as a half-forward who comes well out of the F50 he could.
We started to see this.....mind you weve seen this when Crocker was step in coach. Thomas is getting crucified at the moment as a small forward, maybe for the change sake and that he has footy smarts , he is a thinking natural footballer in the sense. We need his speed compared to Swallow.

I think Durdin will eventually play down back......all reports Ive read leads to him being more comfortable back there because thats where he has played as a junior.

All the Round 1, 2017 teams look OK at first glance. But then a few start carrying a few niggles, some injuries get worse, some lose form, some losses shake a bit of confidence, young players don't deliver what's expected, older ones hit the wall (ie we have a normal season) and those teams look very ordinary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back