Review R1, April 5, 2015 - GC v Melbourne @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Gaz is all natural and holy, but if he expects to play out the season... Or even make it to Rd2 he surely needs to start using pain killers. We saw today he is clearly underdone in recovery and can't even complete a pre-game warm up without grimacing. The dudes in a world of pain. You can't concentrate on a game of footy in that state.
Agree surely a light pain killer couldn't be to bad. :S

my concerns

01 prestia - disposal accuracy is sorely lacking. when he was lining up for goal I knew he was more likely to miss than get 6 points.
02 sexton - sometimes surprises me .. mostly does not.
03 shaw - frustrating ..
04 gorringe - looked lively for a while after half time - either fear of rocket or his untimely demise from afl spurred him on .. for a bit ..
04 sam day - daniel bandy II ?
05 zac smith - concerns rising

was at the game today, very disapointing by the suns, didnt really deserve to win but almost stole it at one point, had all the run in the 4th quarter, 8 points behind bennel was in the clear on the wing instead of taking a shot on goal handballed it to gaz in the goalsquare which was intercepted and melbourne scored from there and kicked another 2 from there and the game was over, prettty frustrating.

It was pretty disapointing seeing guys like prestia, martin and bennell not back themselves at all by taking shots on goal rather hand it off. day battled hard along with may, gorringe was disapointing slash nonexistant.

hopefully you guys are only up from here, be nice to see you guys make finals this year.

p.s. does anyone know of the Dion Prestia rumours? all the supporters kept talking about how he was keen to come back home and play for the demons, his family are big fans, load of garbage in my opinion

Harley softer then meltered butter, to many guys on our team that don't want to get their hands dirty/go when it's their turn. It's disgraceful.

I have difficulty trying to work out how this Peter Matera-style dynamo who completely carved Geelong up last year has turned into this hesitant, reluctant to stretch out and almost confused type of player i saw late last year and today? He ran like the wind against Geelong last season and kicked goals from 50+ out. Now, he's handballing when getting the pill 20 metres out, and just is not the same player. Any ideas? Has been been injured in the pre-season or anything? He has all the talent in the world, but really seems to not be who he was nowadays.

was at the game today, very disapointing by the suns, didnt really deserve to win but almost stole it at one point, had all the run in the 4th quarter, 8 points behind bennel was in the clear on the wing instead of taking a shot on goal handballed it to gaz in the goalsquare which was intercepted and melbourne scored from there and kicked another 2 from there and the game was over, prettty frustrating.

It was pretty disapointing seeing guys like prestia, martin and bennell not back themselves at all by taking shots on goal rather hand it off. day battled hard along with may, gorringe was disapointing slash nonexistant.

hopefully you guys are only up from here, be nice to see you guys make finals this year.

p.s. does anyone know of the Dion Prestia rumours? all the supporters kept talking about how he was keen to come back home and play for the demons, his family are big fans, load of garbage in my opinion
Dion not moving any time soon.

I have difficulty trying to work out how this Peter Matera-style dynamo who completely carved Geelong up last year has turned into this hesitant, reluctant to stretch out and almost confused type of player i saw late last year and today? He ran like the wind against Geelong last season and kicked goals from 50+ out. Now, he's handballing when getting the pill 20 metres out, and just is not the same player. Any ideas? Has been been injured in the pre-season or anything? He has all the talent in the world, but really seems to not be who he was nowadays.
He's hot and cold. Building his consistency is just his next challenge. It's not a new thing.

It was a decent return from Harley I thought, given the position he played and the forward entries. He plays his best when our midfield is dominant, which it clearly wasn't today.

I'm so pumped. It's great to have footy back, it's great to have Gazza back! We will beat the Demons by 30+ today.

What a sloppy performance - that looked like a round 1 nab challenge game. We better tighten it up next week, the Demons was a very winnable game that we basically handed to them with our mistakes.

I know Gaz is all natural and holy, but if he expects to play out the season... Or even make it to Rd2 he surely needs to start using pain killers. We saw today he is clearly underdone in recovery and can't even complete a pre-game warm up without grimacing. The dudes in a world of pain. You can't concentrate on a game of footy in that state.
Wow. Give him a break...!

What a sloppy performance - that looked like a round 1 nab challenge game. We better tighten it up next week, the Demons was a very winnable game that we basically handed to them with our mistakes.
Many are giving no credit to the Demons, and laying too much blame on the Suns.

We played as well as the Dee's allowed us. When we did get going, the Dee's shut us down again. Give the Dee's some credit, they are better than we've seen them for 4 seasons.

Agree surely a light pain killer couldn't be to bad. :S
Ive no doubt Gaz has made a well informed decision not to use pain killers. Most dull the brain to block the pain, some are injected into the muscle. Either way, there are huge negatives to both ways. Gaz will be looking long term health, not short term benefits.

im not sure if channel nein toaday show likes or dislikes the suns and dees. Saturday morn they did a sports wrap and totally missed out the dees/suns game. they mentioned all the other up and coming games, but that one , then this morning they showed all results from yesterdays, bar the suns/dees game. not even a script across the bottom of the screen with the scores. wtf have the both teams done to not get a mention. but instead they bang on about how good the swanks are and the knuckle head ""I crashed a jeep"".

im not sure if channel nein toaday show likes or dislikes the suns and dees. Saturday morn they did a sports wrap and totally missed out the dees/suns game. they mentioned all the other up and coming games, but that one , then this morning they showed all results from yesterdays, bar the suns/dees game. not even a script across the bottom of the screen with the scores. wtf have the both teams done to not get a mention. but instead they bang on about how good the swanks are and the knuckle head ""I crashed a jeep"".
Ask them..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe that there isn't anyone on here who is incensed with McKenzie's game yesterday. I thought he went a long way to you guys losing the game with his atrocious ball use. There were about 5 times where his miskick out of defence resulted in a turnover and goal for Melbourne.

Not sure if his kicking is usually that bad, but it is one thing to be able to kick long, but it means nothing if you can't kick accurately.

Can't believe that there isn't anyone on here who is incensed with McKenzie's game yesterday. I thought he went a long way to you guys losing the game with his atrocious ball use. There were about 5 times where his miskick out of defence resulted in a turnover and goal for Melbourne.

Not sure if his kicking is usually that bad, but it is one thing to be able to kick long, but it means nothing if you can't kick accurately.

When Trent plays badly we all think it was Matty Shaw and when Matty plays well we all think it was Trent

Very true. However, this is absolutely the outlier so no one has jumped the gun. It won't happen again.

Agree he was poor , but he was'nt alone , to many to name from yesterday.

Hey GC fans just a quick question why were Mateara left out? Last time he was way too nippy and slick for us he just ran rings around us.

Also i noticed Harley Bennell spent alot of time up forward. I said in our fan boards that he was one player we had to put a hard tag on as he is just a devastating midfielder when he is up and going. Everytime we play you guys he carves us up in the midfield. I was feeling sick before the game at the though this bloke was gonna tear us a new one.

Hey GC fans just a quick question why were Mateara left out? Last time he was way too nippy and slick for us he just ran rings around us.

Also i noticed Harley Bennell spent alot of time up forward. I said in our fan boards that he was one player we had to put a hard tag on as he is just a devastating midfielder when he is up and going. Everytime we play you guys he carves us up in the midfield. I was feeling sick before the game at the though this bloke was gonna tear us a new one.
We had no forwards, so Bennell had to play there.

Matera dropped for unknown reasons. Perhaps form? Maybe not playing the way Rocket wants? Unknown.

Few lazy kicks from Trent to be sure. Was one of the few in who didn't seem to click with the required effort. But he was one of many.
Actually, LAZY was the exact word I thought of when I was watching the game. They weren't lazy in the sense of running or tackling, .....their attitude to skills was lazy. Simple stuff was forgotten. For example the attitude to short kick passes was atrocious, with many of the kids failing to get their balance or form right, or their head over the ball when kicking. Trent probably optimized the lazy skill day they were having..

I thought GC would win this one. The thought that kept coming back to me during the game was to wonder if Eade is perhaps a bit old school as a coach for a young group of players who have been groomed to play to their talents rather than a strict gameplan?

The likes of Bennell and Martin in particular looked shadows of the players they have been and not to be enjoying their footy.
When the game was there to be won I kept thinking, send them up the ground a bit to get involved, turn them loose but the 2 of them stayed locked in the forward 50 and worse constantly trying to give the ball off rather than making the play.
I could be wrong (I hope I am as Martin is one player I've been looking forward to watching this year), just a thought that perhaps Eade is over coaching and killing the flair in them.

I thought GC would win this one. The thought that kept coming back to me during the game was to wonder if Eade is perhaps a bit old school as a coach for a young group of players who have been groomed to play to their talents rather than a strict gameplan?

Doubt it
He's basically been running the footy department at Collingwood(for better or worse) and if anything will be trying to develop something completely new
He's a smart man who understands old school is one track on your playlist
Only to be trotted out when everything else has failed

Doubt it
He's basically been running the footy department at Collingwood(for better or worse) and if anything will be trying to develop something completely new
He's a smart man who understands old school is one track on your playlist
Only to be trotted out when everything else has failed
Yeah I get that he had a lot to do with development at Collingwood so he should be in touch with everything current in the way to bring a bunch of kids through. Just couldn't understand why you wouldn't have Martin and Bennell free ranging up the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back