Preview R1 - Port Adelaide @ Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

A calculated risk would be to rest him against teams we have minimal chance of beating. Tomorrow's game springs to mind as does R5 v WCE. I would be going in all guns blazing against the weaker teams because they are our best chances to put wins on the board.

“There tough so we’re not going to try” would have to be one of the worst things I’ve ever heard.

That’s giving up before you even start, if you’ve got that mentality you’re not fit to coach, nor play at AFL level.

As already posted a calculated risk would be to rest him against teams with a single poor ruckman that we should be able to beat any way, even then that underrating your opponent which is not something you should ever do becouse t leads to losing games you shouldn’t.

Reality mentality - we aren't good enough to assume we'll beat anyone.

For the record, I wouldn't rest Ryder against anyone. He's a professional footballer, he can play a game of football once a week.
Agreed. I'd much prefer a ruthless beat the best and crush the rest mentality.

But I'd prefer we be arrogant than meek.

Yeah, that's the problem. I'm very much struggling to see Lycett, Rockliff, Boak, SPP and Drew getting on top of Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney, Jones and Petracca. I feel like it'd take a miracle for them just to break even.
Not for the short haul, but if we play Lycett and Ryder then we should be smashing whoever they pair with Gawn in ruck, or beating them easily in the 4th when a stuffed Gawn has been worn down, if they just play him as the sole ruck. Should. I've said should for this team since 2015 way too many times to have faith we actually will. If Ryder plays we SHOULD win narrowly, but I need evidence before I believe in this team, under this coach.

I didn't see Melbourne's last game. Could someone please update me on how the greatest midfield of all time performed in their last outing??

As I recall they lost an away game to the eventual premiers. This week they're playing a home game against a team that finished 10th last year and then lost two of their three best mids to trades and the other one to injury.

I didn't see Melbourne's last game. Could someone please update me on how the greatest midfield of all time performed in their last outing??
Well beaten by Brisbane. Though to be fair, swapping in Viney and Jones for spud 1 and spud 2 makes a bit of a difference.

I think it's a tough ask for us but will be happy enough to see us play with infectious enthusiasm and an attacking game plan à la 2013/14. Even if we lose, I'd much prefer this to grinding out a win in a 2018-like shitful error-riddled slog.

I think the 6-6-6 rule may help us. And the new recruits could be a Godsend or disastrous.

Robbie and Butters to kick 6+ between them
Boak 30+ disposals
Dees to win by 14 I think though, sadly

As I recall they lost an away game to the eventual premiers. This week they're playing a home game against a team that finished 10th last year and then lost two of their three best mids to trades and the other one to injury.
Yep. I can’t see us winning in the middle against Melbourne, and it is going to take five or six weeks for clubs to figure out how to defend centre clearances under the new rules. We’ll concede clearance goals and have not been generating turnover goals so far.

It is bad for us to play Melbourne early.

Made a snap decision to fly to the game on Sat. How do you get these free tickets everyone's talking about?

Also anyone wanna catch up for a beer?
Have a pair of tickets I won't be using. Can send you the link if you want them.

Who cares if his jaw is giving him grief? This guy cost us games last year because he went off the ground against Fremantle and West Coast but he miraculously played the next week against Collingwood.

By my estimation he owes us at least two games where his presence means we win.

As I recall they got ******* smashed by the eventual premiers. Teams that get pulverised like that don’t readily bounce back.

This week they are playing a team they lost to last year even though that team played a boring as batshit style that played directly into their hands on a much smaller ground.

It’s the midfield rotation and depth that will get us over the line. Run them off their feet and wear them down. And if they want to rumble...we’ll ******* rumble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the weather conditions tomorrow, I reckon our JLT games in awful conditions have us better prepared for the situation.
Hot and humid will play havoc with hamstrings.
At least we have seen the hot.

It's a fair analysis but I'm going to opt for ignorant bliss and hope for the best. I will be genuinely surprised if we lose.

Hey guys, all the best tomorrow. Our pre-season hasn't been great with a truck load of injuries so anything could happen. I'm still expecting to win coz it's at the mcg but we haven't won either of our pre-season games so its a little worrying. I've just picked up butters in my fantasy team, is he going to be stuck in the forward 50m or will he roam? Surely he is too good to be a hayden ballantyne in the f50?

Hey guys, all the best tomorrow. Our pre-season hasn't been great with a truck load of injuries so anything could happen. I'm still expecting to win coz it's at the mcg but we haven't won either of our pre-season games so its a little worrying. I've just picked up butters in my fantasy team, is he going to be stuck in the forward 50m or will he roam? Surely he is too good to be a hayden ballantyne in the f50?

Will play mostly forward but I expect t he'll be more of a HFF than a FP. Think Toby Greene, not Hayden Ballantyne.

Rocky out to $5.50 from $4.50 for 30+ possies now.

On TAB, Hamish Hartlett is $8.50 for most possessions. A bit short I think.

Yeah but we beat them last year despite our absolute dogshit gameplan, and they smashed us in the clearances then as well.

Unless they've figured out how to stop turning the ball over so much, we'll have plenty of opportunity to hit them on the counter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back