Preview R1 - Port Adelaide @ Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Phase 7 and 8: Attacking Midfield to Attack Transition

Phase 7

giphy.gif

Oh look, there's Butters, who has pushed up the ground to help out Motlop. And Rockliff, who has continued up the field to be that open outlet who can deliver the ball well to a teammate. And who does he hit on the tit? None other than Travis Boak, who has combined with Rocky for 5 disposals in this phase of play alone.

Adelaide would do this backwards handball in transition quite a bit against us over the past two years. It encourages opposition players to run at you because they feel it's the only opportunity they have to make an impact on the game. It also creates the illusion of urgency within the playing group, especially in a zone system, so opposition players who are normally disciplined in their zoning become drawn into situations that they have zero impact on.

Phase 8

giphy.gif

Boak wheels around and delivers the ball inside 50 to Robbie Gray one out from the goal square. The same Robbie Gray who less than a minute ago was parked inside defensive 50. But if Boak had taken a little bit more time, he would have seen our old mate Scott Lycett, who was helping out with Willem Drew in defence 45 seconds earlier, running in open space to get on the end of an easy mark. I wouldn't exactly call it a poor decision by Boak, because Robbie is a pretty good mark one on one...but come on man, Lycett was right there.

Now, this attack didn't end up as a goal directly (the subsequent pressure locking the ball inside 50 took care of that), but it demonstrates the fluid movement from one end of the ground to the other, and more importantly, the work rate of the players to get up and down the ground. When you've got a ruck who is willing to help out in defence and then in the same attacking play get up into the forward line...that's something you can utilise effectively. You won't be seeing Dixon until he can do exactly what Lycett or Gray is doing. There is absolutely no excuse if those two can do it.
Have we constantly made this kind of transition against North?

“We’ll smoke the s**t out of Melbourne.”

Dunno why I’m finding that so funny - maybe coz its 6.24am and I’ve only had two hours sleep and now I’ve gotta get up for work, I’m delirious basically + classic Janus braggadocio - but that’s got me legit pmsl...

Last edited:

Reverse psychology
Not really.
My observations through the JLT and our heavily interrupted pre season would suggest to me that Melbourne aren’t ready for the season and will struggle early.

Having said that we could flick the switch on and smash Port by 6-7 goals with you guys putting in a stinker.

“We’ll smoke the s**t out of Melbourne.”

Dunno why I’m finding that so funny - maybe coz its 6.24am and I’ve only had two hours sleep and now I’ve gotta get up for work, I’m delirious basically, + classic Janus braggadocio - but that’s got me legit pmsl...
It's always 5 o'clock somewhere. It is here!

Have we constantly made this kind of transition against North?

Most of the time it was like that. That’s why we had 142 marks to 84 (+58), 278 uncontested possessions to 228 (+50) and 21 marks inside 50 to 8 (+13), in spite of losing clearances 30 to 39 (-9).

In comparison, when Adelaide were apparently all over us, they had 132 marks to 80 (+42), 292 uncontested disposals to 218 (+74)...but could only generate 13 marks inside 50 to 12, while losing clearances 30 to 35.

The difference between both games is that Adelaide has been doing their s**t for longer so they are more polished. But I’d rather be the team with improvement over the course of the year than the team that everyone is saying should be top four because they made a GF two years ago. We’re only going to get better every week with that transition. And unlike Adelaide’s, it’s not reliant on Tom Lynch.

Boak and Rockliff will work their asses off - we kind of already knew that.

Biggest thing I took from that passage of play is that Slyce will do the same. Now I love Paddy, but he's more of an impact player than a hard working player who provides a presence all over the ground. Slyce will add that extra element to our team and it can't be underestimated.

Most of the time it was like that. That’s why we had 142 marks to 84 (+58), 278 uncontested possessions to 228 (+50) and 21 marks inside 50 to 8 (+13), in spite of losing clearances 30 to 39 (-9).

In comparison, when Adelaide were apparently all over us, they had 132 marks to 80 (+42), 292 uncontested disposals to 218 (+74)...but could only generate 13 marks inside 50 to 12, while losing clearances 30 to 35.

The difference between both games is that Adelaide has been doing their s**t for longer so they are more polished. But I’d rather be the team with improvement over the course of the year than the team that everyone is saying should be top four because they made a GF two years ago. We’re only going to get better every week with that transition. And unlike Adelaide’s, it’s not reliant on Tom Lynch.

These numbers are also part of the reason North's tackle count was low. If you move it by foot well, the oppo can hardly tackle you.

Boak and Rockliff will work their asses off - we kind of already knew that.

Biggest thing I took from that passage of play is that Slyce will do the same. Now I love Paddy, but he's more of an impact player than a hard working player who provides a presence all over the ground. Slyce will add that extra element to our team and it can't be underestimated.

I’ve only been able to watch highlights but Slyce really stood out, just seems like he really enjoys throwing his weight around and being the imposing type.

And that lead up pack mark in the fourth *heart eyes*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I

I agree about Adelaide being more settled and polished and with almost no injuries apart from the, apparently, MASSIVE blow of Seedsman being out for round one against the Premiership favourite Hawks.
I also agree we have a lot of improvement left in us. Just hope the young ones don’t get too worn down in the process.

Here’s an idea - don’t use any goofy nicknames.

Like Marshall is everything Butcher wished he could be, Lycett is everything Lobbe wished he could be. Gets around the ground, second efforts, takes marks, tackles...the complete package.

I hope just to be pleasantly surprised

The midfield will be tested in the inside contest and then tested not to get lost in the outer wings

My questions for the game
1) how to win the midfield with our lack of pace
2) how to stop goals when under pressure
3) where do our goals come from

Remove this Banner Ad

Back