Review R1: Port v Melbourne review

Remove this Banner Ad

Was only thinking about this game.

How the f*** we go from this to Melbourne winning the GF.

#sackhinkley

As Rooch told us in the aftermath of the Prelim, good clubs stay the course.

Bad clubs react with emotion. Ergo, Melbourne stupidly sacked Neeld not long after this game, then hired Roos to hand over to Goodwin (Rooch tells me succession plans seldom work). Idiots!

Melbourne got good people in to run their football department and started making great decisions at the draft table. Thats the difference

Melbourne got good people in to run their football department and started making great decisions at the draft table. Thats the difference

I was under the impression the sun shines out of Chris Davies’ arse, so that can’t be it.

Bad clubs react with emotion. Ergo, Melbourne stupidly sacked Neeld not long after this game, then hired Roos to hand over to Goodwin (Rooch tells me succession plans seldom work). Idiots!
The Afl got people into their football department, and if you throw enough darts blindfolded you’re bound to hit the mark eventually.

Dees have had more top 5 picks in the past dozen years than we’ve had in our history.

And if they'd sacked Goodwin last year as most wanted them to they wouldn't be here today with this flag. It's just standard swings and roundabouts tbh.

Biggest difference this year has been their strength and conditioning. Barely any injuries, least use of the sub in the comp and overruning teams every week.

And if they'd sacked Goodwin last year as most wanted them to they wouldn't be here today with this flag. It's just standard swings and roundabouts tbh.

Biggest difference this year has been their strength and conditioning. Barely any injuries, least use of the sub in the comp and overruning teams every week.

Not sure it was on the cards given his contract situation, but it would’ve been harsh. 2020 was only his fourth season. Has saluted in his fifth.

Watching tonight’s game reminds of all the top ten picks both sides have had.
Macca - Do you think it’s worth offering. Pick 16 and ladhams to get a top 10 pick or should we just use 16 and whatever pick we get for ladhams.

Dees have had more top 5 picks in the past dozen years than we’ve had in our history.

5 top 5 picks I could see out there selected since that 2013 game. That’s the biggest difference.

We haven’t got over the line when we’ve made prelims and never dropped low enough to get high picks (we’ve had 3 picks inside 15 in the same time). Some of that is by choice as we’ve traded some away.

Not sure it was on the cards given his contract situation, but it would’ve been harsh. 2020 was only his fourth season. Has saluted in his fifth.

I’m not convinced he’s pulling the tactical strings - but he’s the head honcho and gets to take the glory given he cops the s**t.

And guess where Melbourne’s fitness coach is going….. 🙄

Burgess has finally got it after all these years. No need to turn all your squad into skinny running machines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought it was a strong point we made by not tanking that last match against Melbourne at the old AO to avoid the spoon and subsequent first pick, now I'm not so sure.

11 of the first 14 picks in that years draft went to GWS. What was the point of anything that year?

Melbourne’s last 14 years= 14th-16th-16th-12th-13th-16th-17th-17th-13th-11th-9th-5th-17th-9th
So wait until you get a bunch of top draft picks and then start playing football. A premiership built on years of underachievement.

I am both annoyed and jealous. But they were the best team this year and may be at the dawn of a dynasty.

Melbourne’s last 14 years= 14th-16th-16th-12th-13th-16th-17th-17th-13th-11th-9th-5th-17th-9th
So wait until you get a bunch of top draft picks and then start playing football. A premiership built on years of underachievement.

I am both annoyed and jealous. But they were the best team this year and may be at the dawn of a dynasty.

Not sure about a dynasty with this lot. Enormous year though.

I always thought it was a strong point we made by not tanking that last match against Melbourne at the old AO to avoid the spoon and subsequent first pick, now I'm not so sure.
Winning that game meant we got pick 6 instead of 4. GWS had 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15, bedore trades and ended up getting pick 4 from GC.

We lose that game and we still take Wingard given he told GWS to * off.

Well that’s what you have to do to build the kind of blue chip midfield that wins premierships. Demons and bulldogs both have the quality mids that finishing bottom gets you. We do not.

On the night of this game I went to dinner with a Melbourne fan and had a good laugh at how bad his club was.

He was at Optus tonight celebrating a premiership whilst we're sat here in what seems like year 943 of Hinkley mediocrity.

Kill me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back