Preview R1 v St Kilda @ Marvel Stadium (Sunday, March 24)

gcsunsfc

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I think Rankine is the only guy <21 to play
Maybe Lukosius

Bowes, Fiorini, Ainsworth, maybe Joyce the next age group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young_Guns

Club Legend
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
I'd be worried if Lethlean didn't think his side was the fittest team running around. Isn't every club the 'fittest in the comp' at this time of year, when you haven't played anyone but yourself and you've spent the summer running laps for hour upon hour? It doesn't mean you announce it to everyone. All that brings is expectations, and anything less then St Kilda running us off the field will be a let down now.

SandyToes

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'd be worried if Lethlean didn't think his side was the fittest team running around. Isn't every club the 'fittest in the comp' at this time of year, when you haven't played anyone but yourself and you've spent the summer running laps for hour upon hour? It doesn't mean you announce it to everyone. All that brings is expectations, and anything less then St Kilda running us off the field will be a let down now.
but...but...but..benchmarks!!!!!

Mr Bods

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That tweet from st kilda is a laugh. Fittest club? LOL Pretty sure 17 other clubs are fitter.
Unfortunately in our own history we’ve had imbecile club officials such as John Witheriff make ridiculous claims about us too. Would much rather humility and stay under the radar.

Jen2310

Club Legend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Unfortunately in our own history we’ve had imbecile club officials such as John Witheriff make ridiculous claims about us too. Would much rather humility and stay under the radar.
I think they and many clubs will see soon that the suns of this year are vastly different to whom they last played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheSunGod

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Team Buakaw Golovkin
I think they and many clubs will see soon that the suns of this year are vastly different to whom they last played.
Let’s hope that is the case. I’m over watching an uncompetitive side and feeling OK when we get within 5 goals of a win.

SandyToes

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That tweet from st kilda is a laugh. Fittest club? LOL Pretty sure 17 other clubs are fitter.
We've seen struggling lower Clubs come out early doors recently and get some surprise early wins on the back of insane preseasons
I think Clubs like ours and St Kilda know its the best chance to get a few sneaky early wins against better teams that will taper to September
Wouldn't surprise me if StKilda was actually the fittest ever but it's unlikely to translate into a top 8 finish

Suns of Anarchy

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
LA Rams, Philadelphia 76's, Brewers
I think we'll knock them off regardless of who's available for them.
We were all over them last year, plenty of midfield improvement for us, and they don't have genuine A grades mids that hurt us with most teams.

SandyToes

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think we'll knock them off regardless of who's available for them.
We were all over them last year, plenty of midfield improvement for us, and they don't have genuine A grades mids that hurt us with most teams.
Yeah we've really moneyballed the midfield and with Ainsworth Fiorini Bowes Miller and Brodie coming on hopefully we'll see some drive from the engine room for the first time since 2014 really

GCStormie

Team Captain
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
I reckon we'll see something like this for round 1, injuries permitting
B:Joyce Thompson Harbrow
HB: Hanley Hombsch Murdoch
C: Weller Swallow Fiorini
HF: Sexton Day Martin
F: Rankine Wright Ainsworth
R: Witts Miles Miller
Bench: Bowes Burgess Scheer Horlin-Smith

Young_Guns

Club Legend
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Judging from our game against the Suns last year, I think you mean 16 other clubs :)
Just to get this straight, did you come here to brag that you are in fact not the most unfit team in the competition, but the 2nd most unfit? I guess Lethlean really did know what he was talking about in that case :)

lewdogs

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Just to get this straight, did you come here to brag that you are in fact not the most unfit team in the competition, but the 2nd most unfit? I guess Lethlean really did know what he was talking about in that case :)
Just a bit of gags banter :) Think it will be hard to know where both sides are at until at least the JLT games and even they can be misleading.

In terms of fitness I'm glad that we are at least addressing it as it's been an area of huge weakness, teams would often get a massive run on us last year.

Anyway really looking forward to the game and hoping a few of your exciting youngsters play.

GC2015

All Australian
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thread starter #73
Really interesting to see The Australian labeling St Kilda 'Wooden Spoon Certainties' after recent developments. Does that mean they no longer view us as having the worst list in the AFL or have the Saints just been unlucky with injuries and off field issues?

Young_Guns

Club Legend
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Just a bit of gags banter :) Think it will be hard to know where both sides are at until at least the JLT games and even they can be misleading.

In terms of fitness I'm glad that we are at least addressing it as it's been an area of huge weakness, teams would often get a massive run on us last year.

Anyway really looking forward to the game and hoping a few of your exciting youngsters play.
Haha I know, all good mate. Our St. Kilda games always seem to bring out the best in terms of pre-game banter with the opposition I’ve found.

We’re in the same position really. Still a very young side unable to run out more than a half/3 quarters. It will come with time but still super frustrating. Could result in quite a final quarter come round 1 with both sides off their feet and cramping.

Big game for both sides. Should be a good one.

Top Bottom