Preview R10: Changes v Collingwood: Gawn, Riley, Newton in; Bail, Spencer, Grimes out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been one of grime's toughest critics. But since hes been back in the side, i have nothing but praise for the man. Couple of flakey moments vs the dockers, and one wonkey kick vs the dogs, otherwise he has been outstanding

Mr. Gawn please stand up this week!

Ive been completely unimpressed by Gawn and his career so far as a ruckman, the games he has played for us have seen him play his best footy in 10 minute cameo's up forward, he has run out of puff after half time in nearly all of them and allowed the opposition rucks start dishing it out silver service style to their mids. Maximus, you were recruited as a ruckman, this week please play like one.

You could argue injuries have cruelled his fitness to some point but its quickly getting to now or never time for him. Im glad in a way that Roos has made him earn his spot over Spencer when Jamar went out, the number you were drafted should have no bearing on if you get a game or not, hopefully this has been the kick up the arse he needed. From all reports he has dominated at Casey so im glad to see him get rewarded.

The two massive benefit's I see Gawn bringing us when/if performing (and being able to run out games) at an AFL level compared to Spencer (love the effort but one dimensional) are:

1) He is a capable forward. Rest him in the goal square when swapping with Pedo and let Hogan have a run up the ground..

and the most benefical..

2) He keeps, as Biff so correctly described, the Spudosaurus in the number 6 jumper out of team (unless for some unknown reason Roos believes Dawes is better in the ruck and around the ground than Pedo)

Stand up please...

Last edited:

Mr. Gawn please stand up this week!

Ive been completely unimpressed by Gawn and his career so far as a ruckman, the games he has played for us have seen him play his best footy in 10 minute cameo's up forward, he has run out of puff after half time in nearly all of them and allowed the opposition rucks start dishing it out silver service style to their mids. Maximus, you were recruited as a ruckman, this week please play like one.

You could argue injuries have cruelled his fitness to some point but its quickly getting to now or never time for him. Im glad in a way that Roos has made him earn his spot over Spencer when Jamar went out, the number you were drafted should have no bearing on if you get a game or not, hopefully this has been the kick up the arse he needed. From all reports he has dominated at Casey so im glad to see him get rewarded.

The two massive benefit's I see Gawn bringing us when/if performing (and being able to run out games) at an AFL level compared to Spencer (love the effort but one dimensional) are:

1) He is a capable forward. Rest him in the goal square when swapping with Pedo and let Hogan have a run up the ground..

and the most benefical..

2) He keeps, as Biff so correctly described, the Spudosaurus in the number 6 jumper out of team (unless for some unknown reason Roos believes Dawes is better in the ruck and around the ground than Pedo)

Stand up please...

This is a huge bonus in both respects - Gawn's dangerous up forward, and Hogan has the tank to run most key defenders up the ground and back, rather than being forced to play deeper.

This is a huge bonus in both respects - Gawn's dangerous up forward, and Hogan has the tank to run most key defenders up the ground and back, rather than being forced to play deeper.

Yep, he makes us so much more dangerous as a team because of his flexability, im really hoping he plays to his potential (that Melbourne Supporters dirty word) and his tank is up to AFL standard now. I don't care so much about the first half and if he is a bit slow getting into the game, I just want to see him run the second half right out and be able to compete for the entirety of it.

So assuming Fitzy plays down back, how do we see the key match-ups?

T-Mac - Cloke?
Dunn - White?
Fitzy - resting ruckman?
Jetta - Elliott?
Howe - ?
Garland - ?

T-Mac - Cloke?
Dunn - White?
Fitzy - resting ruckman?
Jetta - Elliott?
Howe - ?
Garland - ?

Fitzy to White I think.

T-Mac - Cloke?
Dunn - White?
Fitzy - resting ruckman?
Jetta - Elliott?
Howe - ?
Garland - ?
Yeah those match ups suggested sound pretty solid. Jetta really the only person i can only think of to take Elliott. Dunn's more one on one so maybe he could play cloke, but if Tmac played on him i assume he'll run off him most chances he can get.

That does seem an ideal match-up ... so Dunn takes Grundy or Witts when they're forward?

Yea, Dunn plays above his height anyway, he also gives us more rebound playing on the lumbering rucks than Fitzy would. If they don't have any talls down there he's free to go third man up with TMac vs Cloke.

Less of the stupid and needless blocking free kicks from last week though, please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Spencer is that unlucky tbh. Has been having a crack of late and done some good work but I thought he was ordinary at the centre bounces v Port.

Definitely time to see what Gawn can do.

I reckon Riley is replacing bail as that defensive type player who gives 100% effort all day, also just because people hate him you can't deny the job jones did on Murphy who is an AA candidate this year , will get the job on seedsman ( too bad no kent )

Also Gawn back is huge .. It means he can go deep while pedo and hogan provide leading options , plus Garlett just gets even more crumbs

I have a decent feeling about this one especially in relation to Neale daniher who was Nathan Jones first coach
I expect him to have a ripping game

Interesting. I haven't seen anything that indicates that Grimesy would be on Roos' chopping block at all. He's been more decent then a lot others this season and has played a role in the defence.

But then again, Matt Jones has been given that defensive forward role recently and there isn't anyone else who can really play that role.
Has Grimes ever played as a defensive forward? Just as bad a kick as Jones but seems more defensively minded to me

T-Mac - Cloke?
Dunn - White?
Fitzy - resting ruckman?
Jetta - Elliott?
Howe - ?
Garland - ?

T-Mac - White
Dunn - Cloke
Fitz - Grundy / Witts
Grimes - Elliott
Jetta - Blair
Garland - Fasolo

If Grimes is dropped and Howe plays back, Garland on Elliott. That's how I'd do it. But match ups change 50 times a match so it never works out neatly anyway.

T-Mac - White
Dunn - Cloke
Fitz - Grundy / Witts
Grimes - Elliott
Jetta - Blair
Garland - Fasolo

If Grimes is dropped and Howe plays back, Garland on Elliott. That's how I'd do it. But match ups change 50 times a match so it never works out neatly anyway.

I like that idea actually, Garland on Elliot, he plays much taller than he is, brilliant overhead, probably not the obvious match up for Jetta as most of us were thinking. Good call.

Well yeah my team would be a fair bit different. Although I probably would have given all the spuds one farewell game.

You know have absolutely no opinion of MJones mate, i was just trying to think like Roos, i shouldn't really try though, i have a hard enough time making sense of my own thoughts :(

Well yeah my team would be a fair bit different. Although I probably would have given all the spuds one farewell game.

Jesus, you're softer than Watts. I'd delist the spuds and cut their hands off to make sure they never grace the AFL scene again. Would probably improve Dawes' game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back