Prediction R10: Changes vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

4 on debut, including the match winner. Never played fwd before, at any level.

Yeah, drop him.

Thoughts on Daw? Been decent in his stint as a backman but I don’t know if he has an obvious matchup this week

He has the football brain of a duck, and the duck wants it back.

I don't know about the coaching staff point of view but there is certainly others (at the club) who rate him as a forward and believe he can provide a presence up forward. He's a slow burn and patience is required, so I can't see him lasting in the BF world;)
Cheers. That's good to hear. I just remember back to the WA champs and what little I have seen at Peel and I think there is something there. I am happy to wait it out.

Nads was best on for the first 10 minutes and then did nothing, albeit hard to as a forward in that game but he definitely wasn't BOG
Those stats sheets that get put up after every game says otherwise. Probably more a reflection on how bad everyone else was rather than how good Nads was tbf. Still I am taking it as Nads = gun.

Those stats sheets that get put up after every game says otherwise. Probably more a reflection on how bad everyone else was rather than how good Nads was tbf. Still I am taking it as Nads = gun.
Watching the game you can see he is quite a bit off, lead to the ball by his opponent all day.
Watch the first 10 minutes and you can see he has something there though, needs a bit more time in the WAFL right now.

I don't know about the coaching staff point of view but there is certainly others (at the club) who rate him as a forward and believe he can provide a presence up forward. He's a slow burn and patience is required, so I can't see him lasting in the BF world;)

Thing is though, if the club never try him at the top level, they’ll never know.

We are insane: we try the same old stagers or underperformers up forward, get the same results and then bemoan our failure.

Watching the game you can see he is quite a bit off, lead to the ball by his opponent all day.
Watch the first 10 minutes and you can see he has something there though, needs a bit more time in the WAFL right now.
No Peel forward was going to look good when our mids were non existent. I would play Ape in the reserves for awhile
and see what happens.
Jones and Nads should be getting as much rucking time as possible.

In term of structure - I think we need at least 4 talls and 2 smalls.

Cox, McCarthy, Kersten and Strnadica as resting ruck. Ballantyne and Walters smalls with Cerra and Matera running wings.

No magical cure to our forward line woes but it’s time to present more options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 on debut, including the match winner. Never played fwd before, at any level. Was pretty insane but he’ll likely play in defence this time, I see him as our best matchup for Ziebell when he goes fwd. Going to be tough for us though with all of Brown/Waite/Ziebs/Wood looming as danger men, very potent and versatile attack.

Thoughts on Daw? Been decent in his stint as a backman but I don’t know if he has an obvious matchup this week

Come now he doesn't need a match up just stand at CHF and wait for the ball

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apeness is unfit and footy-deprived for 3-4 seasons. He’s not shot - he needs a season at Peel to show us what he’s worth. He might be close towards the pointy end of the season.

One more key injury and he’s gone though.

This is where I think the whole alignment thing falls down - obviously it has a lot of advantages, but Apeness is like a ******* laboratory hamster being run around in the ruck in some ethically dubious experiment. If he was at any other club he'd be playing full forward and doing what he was drafted to do.

Ross was pretty strong on the lack of a physical presence up forward, also mentioned Crowden will need to go back. Nyhuis needs to improve his ball use so I'd send him back to Peel with the instruction to play a more offensive brand of footy.

IN --> OUT
Apeness* --> Crowden
S.Hill --> Nyhuis

* Wouldn't mind seeing Nads either, but Ross has mentioned Ape more in pressers this year and often described as a "competitive beast" which would bode well for a side looking for a "physical presence up forward."

His run and spread is surprisingly good for a big man, splits packs and good skills. They don’t have him rucking much cause they want to see his craft i50.

Apeness is shot.
forgive me if I'm wrong. But hasn't jones played Back a bit this year to make up for Peels oversized forward line. Would be strange to keep him out of the ruck so we can see his forward craft, yet be sending him down back on occasion (as opposed to into the ruck)?

Big concerns this week. Our forward line is our biggest weakness and North are one of the best defensive teams in the competition.

I wouldn't be dropping McCarthy this week.

Big concerns this week. Our forward line is our biggest weakness and North are one of the best defensive teams in the competition.

I wouldn't be dropping McCarthy this week.

I don’t think worth dropping McCarthy at all, more about getting him help. Cox hasn’t been bad, but is still quite young. Feel like we still need 1 more tall.
Look at the panic Syd had in the last when Sandi was tied to the goal post on a 30m rope.

Apeness is unfit and footy-deprived for 3-4 seasons. He’s not shot - he needs a season at Peel to show us what he’s worth. He might be close towards the pointy end of the season.

One more key injury and he’s gone though.

Spot on. He needs continuity in his footy. Wouldn’t have played more than 5 games in a row for years.

Reckon Giro would have to be great chance to debut

I want to see Sandi stay forward at least 50%. Need to promote best ruckman from Peel Just to try it out. Our midfield can break even without Sandi. Stramadica has looked best of a poor bunch but Apeness may rise to occasion if given the gig.

Agree Malpaso, Giro in for Crowden, the kid has something. Not as lightly framed as people make out in my opinion, natural footballer. I reckon the Ape is being played in the ruck for two reasons, he needs to improve his ruck craft and most importantly it will fast track his fitness a lot quicker than being camped in the forward line. Ultimately he is clearly a forward that can backup in the ruck. His fitness base is low but that is understandable. I believe Nads will get a couple of games before the years out, something tells me that he will be a late bloomer and will make it as a forward. Still a light weight and would get monstered by a big backman. When I was at training a few weeks ago the coaches seemed to ride Nads on his defensive work, his forward work was impressive, they really wanted him working harder at each contest. I get the feeling they have faith in him, just a gut feel. I don't think that Jones will make it, Hannath mk2.

This week
Ins: Giro, Kersten (time to see what he can do in defence)
Out: Crowden, Johnson (Love him to death and been a great servant, needs to be this years Zac Dawson and help the kids at Peel, only played when absolutely needed)

Giro should come in for Crowden. I think Giro is going to really add something.
Need to run North off their feet.

Giro was the most impressive in the Peel game but be prepared to also be frustrated. He just grabbed the ball and kicked it long at every opportunity and rarely looked for a target. I think that is a massive weakness at AFL level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back