Prediction R11: Changes vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

So ross has finally bit the bullet. And drop the elder statesman. Can't argue with the changes despite it looking like a tough afternoon at the office.

Only hope is if collingwood are too complacent and dont turn up mentally.

In terms of age this must be one of most youngest sides we would have played. Outside of mundy who is 32.

Everyone else is younger then 28. Michael walters will be the 2nd youngest in the side at 27.

Fyfe will be 3rd at 26.

I wonder how much time Apeness and Jones spend forward. Both can take a contested mark. I kind of suspect both would only be good for about half a game rucking before the step up the AFL level conks the out . Maybe as much bench rotation as forward. McCarthy and Cox are mobile enough to come up the ground and transition the ball in to a target when there's a ruck presence nearer to the goal square.

When we use the ruckman as a deeper target forward, it will be to a new set of crumbers. Matera and Ballantyne were as bad as each other last week. Walters to lead the way for the young-un's. Cerra, Brayshaw, Giro, Banfield maybe Sheridan. Probably don't need Mundy up there. Maybe Neale could be handy up there too.

Its kind of exciting actually.

Last edited:
Matera looked fantastic in the opening rounds. He's being Barlowed at the moment, which is probably why he hasn't kicked many goals.

It's a bit like the Kersten one. We trade in Kersten - he becomes our No2 goalkicker (2017), we drop him to the 2s and tell him to come back as a defender. Matera looks great as a small forward, so he's told to play 150 meters away from the forward line and behind the ball. ffs, what is he suppose to do? Kick 8 goals from half back?

Crowden's game last weekend didn't warrant a call-up (13 disp, 3 tackles 0 goals), and Jones had 9 possessions all day after spending time in the ruck! I'm happy for Apeness and Giro, but the other two are miles off being selected on merit.

Someone has lost the plot at Freo.

Matera looked fantastic in the opening rounds. He's being Barlowed at the moment, which is probably why he hasn't kicked many goals.

It's a bit like the Kersten one. We trade in Kersten - he becomes our No2 goalkicker (2017), we drop him to the 2s and tell him to come back as a defender. Matera looks great as a small forward, so he's told to play 150 meters away from the forward line and behind the ball. ffs, what is he suppose to do? Kick 8 goals from half back?

Crowden's game last weekend didn't warrant a call-up (13 disp, 3 tackles 0 goals), and Jones had 9 possessions all day after spending time in the ruck! I'm happy for Apeness and Giro, but the other two are miles off being selected on merit.

That's why Crowden is at Peel

Jones probably got the nod over Nads because of his seniority that's all

Not seeing the logic in axing Matera when Ballas is already an out but whatever. It's a shame we're so trash away from home right now, if we were even 5-10% better we'd have a red-hot chance against a very undermanned Pies team. oh well, excited to see Giro and Apeness go at it.

Crowden isn't in the team.

Jones is probably only in as we didn't want to throw Apeness to the wolves. It is an effort keeping up with Grundy for half the game, let alone a full game.

Please play Sheridan in the midfield. He is not a defender. Same with Blakely. Pearce, Kersten, Hamling, Wilson, Ryan and Dumin can hold up the defence.

I like the two rucks in. Have them rest at FF and let Walters and Giro hand around their feet. McCarthy should go back to being the third tall , the only role he is really suited for.

Please play Sheridan in the midfield. He is not a defender. Same with Blakely. Pearce, Kersten, Hamling, Wilson, Ryan and Dumin can hold up the defence.

I like the two rucks in. Have them rest at FF and let Walters and Giro hand around their feet. McCarthy should go back to being the third tall , the only role he is really suited for.

Actually pretty solid looking

Finally showing some guts to make changes, disappointing matera was dropped but can’t say I’m surprised

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matera's dropped too.

Wouldn't have gone that far personally

That's the standout decision that irks at first glance. Didn't think he's been anywhere near the bottom 5 players in the side... however when you look at it again maybe Freo's actually taking the hard-line with a player early for a change before he gets too lax and complacent. Think he's got massive upside and probably a LTR for Ballantyne once he hangs up the boots at the end of the season.

Do we know Matera was 'dropped'. 882 just said "Johnson and Ballentyne have been omitted and Brandon Matera will miss the game". Maybe it's something else? personal/injury/naughty boy?

There's so many changes I can't figure out where the hell Kersten structurally fits in??
Imagine he'll play as the 3rd tall down back next to his good mate Hamling - I'm looking forward to seeing it as I haven't given up on Kersten and I don't see any reason why this couldn't be a really strong back line with him part of it. Duman plays as a half back alongside Wilson and Ryan and hopefully releases Blakely into the guts (a bit).

So ross has finally bit the bullet. And drop the elder statesman. Can't argue with the changes despite it looking like a tough afternoon at the office.

Only hope is if collingwood are too complacent and dont turn up mentally.

In terms of age this must be one of most youngest sides we would have played. Outside of mundy who is 32.

Everyone else is younger then 28. Michael walters will be the 2nd youngest in the side at 27.

Fyfe will be 3rd at 26.

Someone needs to determine the average STAT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back