Prediction R11: Changes vs Collingwood

george2

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like the changes. I think by naming Apeness and Jones we may be able to stretch the Collingwood defense without Howe chopping off the high balls. I wonder without Matera we will see Walters spend the majority of the game forward rather than rolling through the midfield or if we will see Giro play as a small forward. Either way im glad we have made these changes and now we will actually have another tall target to kick to in the forward line to at worst bring the ball to ground.

At the end of the day these changes had to be made, Ballas unfortunately has not been able to put the runs on the baord this year and Johnson just loks like his body can't do what it used to be able to do. Usually when i see the words In and Sheridan i cringe but with the other changes this week i dont mind it as i dont feel that Crowden or anyone else in the Peel team has put their hand up just yet. I think that Kersten is worth looking at to see what he can give us down back but i feel that he is just keeping that spot warm for when Logue is match fit.

Son of a Wizard

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like the changes. I think by naming Apeness and Jones we may be able to stretch the Collingwood defense without Howe chopping off the high balls. I wonder without Matera we will see Walters spend the majority of the game forward rather than rolling through the midfield or if we will see Giro play as a small forward. Either way im glad we have made these changes and now we will actually have another tall target to kick to in the forward line to at worst bring the ball to ground.

At the end of the day these changes had to be made, Ballas unfortunately has not been able to put the runs on the baord this year and Johnson just loks like his body can't do what it used to be able to do. Usually when i see the words In and Sheridan i cringe but with the other changes this week i dont mind it as i dont feel that Crowden or anyone else in the Peel team has put their hand up just yet. I think that Kersten is worth looking at to see what he can give us down back but i feel that he is just keeping that spot warm for when Logue is match fit.

Howe is out

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was named on AFL website. Must have been close, so the point stands.

"In: T.Duman, M.Apeness, S.Jones, S.Giro, M.Crowden, S.Kersten, T.Sheridan"

No it doesn't. When you name a squad of 26, often players are selected even though they are no chance they are playing. Naming Crowden might have been nothing more than us keeping in tune with the youth narrative, even though he isn't playing. Meek has been in the squad of 26 with no chance to play.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Who's in and out?

Edit: just checked the AFL website. Matera unlucky as he is a good finisher but pretty excited to see what we can do

mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
Alright legends, I did some heavy lifting for y'all

1. Ballantyne, Hayden 30y 315d
  2. Banfield, Bailey 20y 91d
  3. Blakely, Connor 22y 86d
  4. Brayshaw, Andrew 18y 200d
  5. Cerra, Adam 18y 232d
  6. Cox, Brennan 19y 287d
  7. Fyfe, Nat 26y 251d
  8. Hamling, Joel 25y 49d
  9. Hill, Stephen 28y 26d
  10. Johnson, Michael 33y 219d
  11. Langdon, Ed 22y 116d
  12. Matera, Brandon 26y 77d
  13. McCarthy, Cam 23y 57d
  14. Mundy, David 32y 311d
  15. Neale, Lachie 25y 3d
  16. Pearce, Alex 22y 352d
  17. Pearce, Danyle 32y 51d
  18. Ryan, Luke 22y 111d
  19. Sandilands, Aaron 35y 172d
  20. Tucker, Darcy 21y 125d
  21. Walters, Michael 27y 141d
  22. Wilson, Nathan 25y 141d
Average 25Y 172d

1. Duman, Taylin 20y 44d
  2. Banfield, Bailey 20y 91d
  3. Blakely, Connor 22y 86d
  4. Brayshaw, Andrew 18y 200d
  5. Cerra, Adam 18y 232d
  6. Cox, Brennan 19y 287d
  7. Fyfe, Nat 26y 251d
  8. Hamling, Joel 25y 49d
  9. Sheridan, Thomas 24y 216d
  10. Apeness, Michael 23y 124d
  11. Langdon, Ed 22y 116d
  12. Jones, Scott 23y 12d
  13. McCarthy, Cam 23y 57d
  14. Mundy, David 32y 311d
  15. Neale, Lachie 25y 3d
  16. Pearce, Alex 22y 352d
  17. Giro, Stephan 19y 83d
  18. Ryan, Luke 22y 111d
  19. Kersten, Shane 25y 77d
  20. Tucker, Darcy 21y 125d
  21. Walters, Michael 27y 141d
  22. Wilson, Nathan 25y 141d
Average 23y 58d

I was not aware how difficult it would be to post a table into Bigfooty until this moment!

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
The cupboard is pretty bare
Yeah, but there's still a bit if you reach in and dig around:

If we're looking at 'form' Giro, Apeness, Duman and Hughes were the next in line. (I think Hughes ran over Ross's cat)
Bennel prob only a week off, but could have played this week.
North was pretty good - 20 possessions 7 marks and kicked 1.1
Logue still coming back, but not far off. Probably could have been picked this week.

Strnadica just needs to keep building. An excellent opportunity this week against Claremont without with Apeness, Darcy and Jones out. Seriously hope he grabs it.

Interestingly, Jono Marsh was terrific last week in horrible conditions. It would be handy if we could call on a 194cm 22 year old who can take 10 marks in a storm.

Deveraux

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ross said earlier in the year in a pre-game interview (think it was game 1 or 3?) that they had drafted Apeness as a forward but that the game had "changed" and that guys like Apeness could no longer just play forward and would need to play as a ruck equally as well. Implied that Taberner was in the same bracket.
Thought the same re Apeness but Ross mentioned on 6PR this week that they never thought Apeness as a pure key forward, was always to be a ruck/fwd.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Yeah, but there's still a bit if you reach in and dig around:

If we're looking at 'form' Giro, Apeness, Duman and Hughes were the next in line. (I think Hughes ran over Ross's cat)
Bennel prob only a week off, but could have played this week.
North was pretty good - 20 possessions 7 marks and kicked 1.1
Logue still coming back, but not far off. Probably could have been picked this week.

Strnadica just needs to keep building. An excellent opportunity this week against Claremont without with Apeness, Darcy and Jones out. Seriously hope he grabs it.

Interestingly, Jono Marsh was terrific last week in horrible conditions. It would be handy if we could call on a 194cm 22 year old who can take 10 marks in a storm.
Yeah I was at the game and thought Marsh was very good

Especially compared to Kersten

Be interesting to see if Ballas and Johnson suit up

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Intrigued to see Kerten down back, hopefully he plays well, though it seems we're too tall down back this week. Not happy with Matera being axed. Happy to see Giro debut, I've missed the Ape and hope he gets a good run at it.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Collingwood will win some easy ones out of the centre and get direct goals. De Goey would be the biggest threat up forward. I like Hoskin-Elliot and the No 6 pick from last year's draft (who's name I've forgotten), too, but I reckon we've got adequate back line coverage.

Wilson, Ryan and Kersten gives the team three penetrating kicks out of the back 50m. If we can use that we're in with a chance, because Collingwood's entries into forward 50m can be a bit like ours. Lots of repeat efforts, lots of mistakes, lots of pressure on the opposition to get the ball back, and eventually a score comes by weight of possession.

If B. Cox and McCarthy can find a way to be targets to kick to from half back (and that's helped by the absence of Howe) we have conduits to deeper entries. When Apeness and Jones are in the forward line, I think it will have to be more of case of the ball users finding them as I can't see either as being too mobile.

They're not tall in defence, but they could get easy goals off defensive 50m rebound if our (inexperienced) small forwards can't get involved.

Their Top 5: Grundy, Treloar, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, De Goey vs Ours: Fyfe, Neale, Walters, Blakely, Mundy.

I know there are others outside my listed Top 5's, but what if all these players fire - It'll be a cracker of a game!

Its going to be a clear fine day and not much wind.

Freo. by 10 points.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Wow. Not expecting that, at all. MJ, D. Pearce and Ballantyne all out just like we wanted.
Is Peel playing at home. Will be hilarious seeing Hayden Ballantyne running on the Hayden Ballantyne wing.
But the two ruckman in Apeness and Jones. Great move. Kersten gets a chance down back.
Impressive moves tbh. Plus Collingwood have a few outs. So there's no reason why we can't be competitive and take it up to the pies .

Deveraux

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm down for the game this weekend from my warm QLD home, I've already got a cold and lost my voice but I've never been to the G and am pumped as!!

Good too see a younger team in although I am on the side of thought that some on field old wise heads are important to lead the youth so expecting a touch up.

Just hoping the posters that are so enthusiastic about such a young team are as equally forgiving of Ross et al when/if we get a flogging. My guess is that'll be back on the war path...

Back