Prediction R11: Changes vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

My current line of thought is;

Out: Johnson, Ballantyne, Pearce

In: Duman, Strnadica and Giro.

If Sandilands is unfit then give Apeness a go and prepare to watch the most one sided ruck duel you've seen since puberty.

Slim pickings.
Jones will come in before Apeness, not better then ahim but Lyon wont risk Apeness yet after playing about 10 games in 3 years

Agreed can't just have kids but the back line with Hammers and Pearce has enough experience and talent to cover Johnson not being around. Ballas offers absolutely nothing we don't need him there even to guide youngsters.

Pearce and Hamling would have what? 70 games between them. Ryan less than 20.
Wilson a few but new to Freo.
Blakely asked to play different role.

It’s as inexperienced a back 6 as any in the league. Surely no one has a less experienced back 6.

The scary thought is our front 6 is worse!

So play a semi crippled Johnson just to pump the average of the back 6 up? Ryan is playing like a 50+ game player already. Hamling a premiership defender and Pearce a freakish talent. They are young and inexperienced but play very well together. The backline is the main reason we're going alright this year IMO.

Looooool

Ballas crossed the ball 30 metres near their 50m mark and turned it straight over. His field kicking is poor.

Kersten has gone back to wafl like Tabs and worked hard on his game. He is looking terrific down back for Peel. Against East he was probably best on ground.

Great shut down speed and spoil. Pin point kicking and physical pressure.

You don't even watch Peel.
Agreed. I didn’t watch the whole game but what I did see was a few terrible turnovers and only 1 tackle. I’ve been sticking up for Ballas but he lost me today.

Also last week in the last quarter he took a mark at F50 and wheeled around (with Sandi one out with a smaller opponent) and he did a kamikaze kick that did not favour Sandi at all. Also listening to Rosco after the game I expect Ballas and D. Pearce to be in trouble for the remainder of the season. Johnson to be managed on/off.

My earlier post had Kersten in for Johnson but Rosco made a point to comment on Duman as an in. Kersten is more deserving though.

Swap Johnson for Kersten. Give Sandi a rest , play The best Rick we have .

Giro and Hughes should be considered for likes of Ballas, Tucker, Matera who under performed.

We are crying out for some more class in our forward line .
EFA We are crying out for a forward line.

Agreed. I didn’t watch the whole game but what I did see was a few terrible turnovers and only 1 tackle. I’ve been sticking up for Ballas but he lost me today.

Also last week in the last quarter he took a mark at F50 and wheeled around (with Sandi one out with a smaller opponent) and he did a kamikaze kick that did not favour Sandi at all. Also listening to Rosco after the game I expect Ballas and D. Pearce to be in trouble for the remainder of the season. Johnson to be managed on/off.

My earlier post had Kersten in for Johnson but Rosco made a point to comment on Duman as an in. Kersten is more deserving though.

I'm happy for Duman to come back in. I just thought Kersten played a better WAFL game yesterday.

Having said that Ross may want Kersten to work even harder because he can see further improvement

I think next week is a good opportunity for a Chris Connelly/Roger Hayden like career defining challenge moment for Apeness. He played as the main ruck the past 4 games; the first against East Perth was named as third best on 29th April (16 possessions, 37 hit-outs and a goal), two substandard games either side of the bye but with over 30 hit outs in each. Was then challenged and performed well yesterday (20 possessions, 32 hit-outs and a goal).

The expectation is that he would get flogged by Grundie but what an opportunity to see what he has to offer. If he goes alright he can stay in with Sandi coming back and play more time up front to straighten us up and give Sandi a chop out.

Seems like the yoof will continue to come as soon as they're sensibly ready.

Sandi ain't playing even if he's clear, I reckon Apeness/Nads are rolling in. I think we could see Bennell if he manages 3 quarters well next week. Logue in a couple of weeks

Giro is a lock.

North not too far off either.

Given Collingwood's lack of tall dominant KPF's, I really wouldn't be against Hamling or A.P going forward.

**** it.

Isn't Duman a bit of a utility? Throw him forward aswell. Screw it, we desperately need some quality up there that isn't a crippled Ballantyne

Kersten has gone back to wafl like Tabs and worked hard on his game. He is looking terrific down back for Peel. Against East he was probably best on ground.

Great shut down speed and spoil. Pin point kicking and physical pressure.

None of that is what we need though, unless you want to play him in defense instead of Johnson, which I wouldn't be opposed to. Kersten averages 0.5 contested marks over his career, which is barely more than Walters. He isn't an answer to our need for tall forwards.

So judging by the presser could it be
Giro for Ballantyne.
Duman for D.Pearce
Perhaps Nyhuis for Johnson.
Jones or Apeness for Sandy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to change things, have different players going through the middle, talk about stale and predictable. Other
coaches have multiple plans.
Neale, Fyfe, Mundy, Cerra, Brayshaw, Banfield can all play a forward role.
Drop Balla, and take your pick from above, Blakely needs to play like Yeo, who has played HB and a run with role/tag on
the oppositions bull.
As for all the talk about needing experience in the back line Hughes, Nhyius are not kids, we need to get Wilson, Ryan
taking the game on at all times. Johnson was okay, a horses for courses policy.
Ape or Nads must play until Tabs is available, if Sandi is out maybe both. We need players who can hit the scoreboard,
know how to play forward, have to be manned up, make their backs nervous, will help McCarthy immensely.
Just a few different changes, structure, putting players in their natural positions and I really believe we will see a team
released from its shackles.

None of that is what we need though, unless you want to play him in defense instead of Johnson, which I wouldn't be opposed to. Kersten averages 0.5 contested marks over his career, which is barely more than Walters. He isn't an answer to our need for tall forwards.

I was inferring that we play him in defense

He's been Peels best defender

Strnadica/Apeness in for Sandi - yes either will get smashed but that's what "rebuilding" is all about unfortunately
Sheridan in for DPearce as a wing man NOT back pocket - both a turnover merchants but why not just pump games into Sheridan, he provides more potentia upside than Pearce from this point on.
Hughes/Duman in for Johnson.
Giro in for Ballantyne - reward good form and banish lackluster performances.
SHill back to an inside midfielder - something up with SHill, he is either injured or played out of position
Butcher Blakely to play anywhere else besides as a rebounding defender
Matera to play as a goal kicking forward pocket and NOT a link up midfielder

Persist with Mundy playing forward as I would suspect that will be his role next year (if he goes on), Fyfe to go forward more often, hopefully this makes McCarthys output improve.

I'd probably rather see Ballantyne stay in than see him dropped for Kersten. The ultimate nothing player.

Ballantyne should go out for a tall. So we can see what happens when we play a tall forward line, something we haven't done since Kepler Bradley last played.
Ballantye 173cm Kersten 191cm - that would have to create a taller forward line, wouldn't it. We just don't have any tall forwards in the WAFL carving things up.

Our forward line will look effective then we have Tabs, Darcy (or resting ruckman), McCarthy, Kersten, Walters & Matera - I'd still rather see Cox played down back as a defender (take over Jonno's spot).

Last edited:
The changes I want to see are not Ins and Outs but in player utilisation.

I think for the 10 weeks so far we have played players in the same roles each week (give or take injuries), except for Mundy, who sometimes plays mainly mid, sometimes mainly forward. During this rebuild we need to do more than "get games into the kids". We need to work out how to play, how to best utilise players and get some options for the future when injuries and poor form hit.

I would like to see Blakely to the midfield (I think he is a lesser player now than he was a year ago).

Banfield showed some ability around goal in preseason matches and I think he should get a go across half forward. I say this also because I think tagging is probably mentally draining, a thankless task and a tagger becomes a free hit for the oppo - he is young, maybe a different, more creative mental challenge would suit him for a while. We can go without a tagger and our midfield need to double down (am I doing it right?) on their defensive work , or someone else can do it for a while.

I would also like to see Matera closer to goal. I was very interested by this post by Unique Name last week. https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/welcome-to-freo-brandon-matera.1180520/page-6#post-55805457

There are probably lots of roles that are not clear to me, like the Matera/Ballantyne thing, and maybe some changes have occurred, but IMHO some more detectable ones are warranted. I don't believe the coaching group can theorise on best use of players over the preseason and get it all right, some trial and error is required.

I know we have thrown players around late in a couple of games when we are losing by big margins, but I think we need to commit to a few changes for 4-6 weeks. There are other possibilities for changes and I would be happy to see almost anything, but have a preference for these changes.

I was inferring that we play him in defense

He's been Peels best defender
If we are worried about playing too many kids, then we should surround them with some experience,
just not our pensioners.
Agree on Kertsen, add Duman, Nyhius, Hughes, Ape? Into the mix, Balla, D Pearce are finished.
It takes an injury worry to concede on one ruckman, who's next Fyfe?
But what really annoys me is the fact Ross doesn't play players to their strengths.
Crowden is the perfect example, add Blakely, and is SHIll isn't right then why is he playing?

This will be controversial but I think Stephen Hill needs to be dropped. He has never reached his potential and at his best is a B grader He shows no spark and is never considered to be a leader. He needs a wake up call and a few weeks in the WAFL may wake him up

The changes I want to see are not Ins and Outs but in player utilisation.

I think for the 10 weeks so far we have played players in the same roles each week (give or take injuries), except for Mundy, who sometimes plays mainly mid, sometimes mainly forward. During this rebuild we need to do more than "get games into the kids". We need to work out how to play, how to best utilise players and get some options for the future when injuries and poor form hit.

I would like to see Blakely to the midfield (I think he is a lesser player now than he was a year ago).

Banfield showed some ability around goal in preseason matches and I think he should get a go across half forward. I say this also because I think tagging is probably mentally draining, a thankless task and a tagger becomes a free hit for the oppo - he is young, maybe a different, more creative mental challenge would suit him for a while. We can go without a tagger and our midfield need to double down (am I doing it right?) on their defensive work , or someone else can do it for a while.

I would also like to see Matera closer to goal. I was very interested by this post by Unique Name last week. https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/welcome-to-freo-brandon-matera.1180520/page-6#post-55805457

There are probably lots of roles that are not clear to me, like the Matera/Ballantyne thing, and maybe some changes have occurred, but IMHO some more detectable ones are warranted. I don't believe the coaching group can theorise on best use of players over the preseason and get it all right, some trial and error is required.

I know we have thrown players around late in a couple of games when we are losing by big margins, but I think we need to commit to a few changes for 4-6 weeks. There are other possibilities for changes and I would be happy to see almost anything, but have a preference for these changes.

Hopefully towards the end of the season we will see the bones of next seasons side with Logue, BHill, Tabs, Darcy ,Dixon, Duman, Hughes ,Nyhuis, Bennell and the rest of the first year boys getting a run, finding their roles and replacing the veterans . Plus Blakely , Shill , Mundy able to slot into different roles . It will be a rough road and the knives will be out for all and sundry .

Ugh.
Jones coming in...gross.
Should be in Peel reserves.
To be fair though, Apeness might not be ready to run out an AFL game yet and no way can Strnadica can come in alone.
Meek seems to be on the outer as he's in the ressies team.
I don't know how good Jones' fitness base is for an AFL game.
Probably need to bring in two of them if Sandi needs to go out.

This will be controversial but I think Stephen Hill needs to be dropped. He has never reached his potential and at his best is a B grader He shows no spark and is never considered to be a leader. He needs a wake up call and a few weeks in the WAFL may wake him up
Its what worries me about another Hill at Freo, we need players that are skilful but with a backbone, not just
coasting around on talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back