Prediction R11: Changes vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a little more complacent about the loss but people stating Johnson had a good game surely weren't there?

Wasn't bad around the ball but being at the ground it was clear to see he trailed his opponents by several feet - could never get to the content. On a couple of occasions the North forwards marked the ball uncontested, you couldn't see Johnson on the television because he was so far behind. Also seems to be getting in the way of Hamling and Pearce at times as opposed to intercepting.

I love the guy but he's turning 34 soon and been injury riddled the day he turned 30 - he's a warrior but his time is up.

You know I bizarrely miss? Spurr. He got bundled in the same category as Sutcliffe, Sheridan, D. Pearce, Ibbotson and Dawson etc over the last two seasons but in my view he's head and shoudlers above those guys. He's not going to be around for much longer but I believe at his best he can play the intercept role far better than Johnson, and he provides the muscle in defence we've been craving.

If he comes back it will be much different to the last two years, he can get the ball off to guys like Wilson and Ryan who can actually kick. He's been completely forgotten as a Freo player and written off as end-of-year cannon fodder - I'd like to back him to make an impact later this year.

ballas out matera to play deep forward
Banfield to play half forward (gives us a bit more height down there)
Pearce out for giro to play midfield
move shill midfield bring in duman
johnson to go out as soon as logue/kersten are ready to take his place
tucker out once b hill is fit

I'm all for this rebuild but my god why are there 5 over 30's playing? Only Mundy & sandy should be playing. I don't mind losing with kids but he needs to play kids

Changes for this week

Out
Johnson
D Pearce
Ballantyne

In
Duman
Giro
strnadica

If sandi doesn't play appeness comes in. Give Bennell one more week in the WAFL

This will be controversial but I think Stephen Hill needs to be dropped. He has never reached his potential and at his best is a B grader He shows no spark and is never considered to be a leader. He needs a wake up call and a few weeks in the WAFL may wake him up
Honestly a run in the WAFL to get some touch and conditioning back would do him a mountain of good imo

I thought Matera was worse than Ballantyne this week. Which is a pretty low bar TBH. So I checked the stats and Matera had 13 disposals to Ballas' 10. And 2 tackles to Ballas' 1. I spose you can't drop them both, so with most things I guess it's the older one who has to go.

We got players playing all out of position.
Matera as high half forward, midfield. Should be deep forward, crumbling.
Stephen Hill across half back. He's lethal through the midfield/wing.
Blakely across half back. Should be playing more midfield.

It's not ideal right now. Need to switch back to players in their natural positions. Bring in youth such as Giro, Apeness and Strnadica and play them within those half forward/ across roles to get them a feel of AFL. Cerra and Brayshaw playing as half forward is wasting their talent and time. Other teams are playing youngsters with 75% + game time and in their positions. And are coping alright. Sydney, West Coast, Hawthorn, Brisbane and Richmond are doing it or have done it.
It's not that hard. Ross is very protective and non trustworthy on playing youth with longer minutes

I'd drop Tucker and replace him as wing/transition player with Stephen Hill.

Agree with all others on the structural change re Balla's coming out and a tall in.

Jhonno to take a rest, either Nyhuis in or see if the Kerstan experiment works at AFL level.

Dpearce out for Giro who can then slot down forward when the balla's replacement tall goes in to ruck

I agree but Freo please play him were he he is best suited and thats not half back. Wing or mid if you don't mind Ross.;)
Agreed. Not sure why they are persisting with him down back. Hasn't looked anywhere near the player his was in the early rounds of last year when he was inside/outside midfielder.

Changes are due for sure, but I think some are being a bit harsh.
Johno struggled early for sure, and is to slow to defend on the lead but he definitely adds experience and did some good things that really help an inexperienced side. For mine he's one that shouldn't really play all the time, but they've shown a willingness to 'manage' him and with Logue out injured, I don't see many other options at this point (Duman too skinny to play on the bigs atm.)
Ballas has been shocking ... but seriosuly, we haven't had any other forwards at Peel until Giro came back.
Sandi's saving our bacon atm, without him and Fyfe through the middle I'm not sure we'd have won even 2 games (especially with Darcy injured), which isn't a good environment for the kids.
D.Pearce for all his flaws, is where we're at atm, there's a lot of injuries, and Crowden seriously needed a spell in the WAFL. There aren't a lot of better options and he provides leadership and structural knowledge + he really hasn't been bad this year ... in the past, yes, hes been awful, but hes been quite good for us this year.
Mundy is seriously important for us atm and everybody knows it.
So yes, we've got a few older guys playing ... but we havent had much a choice. Also worth noting, we're complaining about age, but then appealing for Tucker to be dropped, bit of an interesting one isn't it ... who's so young that can replace him and do better atm?

For mine this week:
IN --> OUT
Giro --> Ballas
Ape --> Sandi
Nads --> Johno (Collingwoods small)
Maybe Duman/Hughes --> D.Pearce

Lineup a bit different though, Tucker goes Back and Hilly on the ball.
FB - Ryan, Hamling, Tucker
HB - Blakely, Pearce, Wilson
C - Langdon, Neale, S.Hill
HF - Cerra, Cox, McCarthy
FF - Matera, Nads, Mundy
Fol - Ape, Fyfe, Walters
INT - Giro, Brayshaw, Banfield, D.Pearce/Hughes/Duman

Outs:

Stephen Hill - Not sure exactly what's going on here, but I reckon he's still sore. If that's the case, no mucking around, just rest him. We're not competing this year.
Johnson - cooked
Sandilands - concussed

In:

Apeness and Strnadica - lets give this two forward and a ruckman thing a go.
Duman
Giro

Hughes, Logue, B.Hill, Bennell all to come in over the next few weeks. Not so sure North is ready yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said it last week and will say it again - MJ should have played forward to address our issues there and Kersten replace him in the backline to see what he can bring in his new role while Logue is still coming back from injury. You could probably drop Ballas for that change. MJ has dropped off in pace but his experience would help while Tabs is out.

Other than that Jones is the most likely to replace 211, Apeness maybe.

Look at Hughes, Giro but others are still injured or not in form or not ready yet (Nads, Bennell). There is only so much we can do ATM with where the injuries have left us.

I said it last week and will say it again - MJ should have played forward to address our issues there and Kersten replace him in the backline to see what he can bring in his new role while Logue is still coming back from injury. You could probably drop Ballas for that change. MJ has dropped off in pace but his experience would help while Tabs is out.

Other than that Jones is the most likely to replace 211, Apeness maybe.

Look at Hughes, Giro but others are still injured or not in form or not ready yet (Nads, Bennell). There is only so much we can do ATM with where the injuries have left us.
Could of worked with Nyhius as well, he did kick 4 against them last year. I think we need to find out about Kersten
If he really wants it, or just delist now.

We got players playing all out of position.
Matera as high half forward, midfield. Should be deep forward, crumbling.
Stephen Hill across half back. He's lethal through the midfield/wing.
Blakely across half back. Should be playing more midfield.

It's not ideal right now. Need to switch back to players in their natural positions. Bring in youth such as Giro, Apeness and Strnadica and play them within those half forward/ across roles to get them a feel of AFL. Cerra and Brayshaw playing as half forward is wasting their talent and time. Other teams are playing youngsters with 75% + game time and in their positions. And are coping alright. Sydney, West Coast, Hawthorn, Brisbane and Richmond are doing it or have done it.
It's not that hard. Ross is very protective and non trustworthy on playing youth with longer minutes
Most coaches in a rebuild play there players to their strengths and put them in the position where they will get the most out of them. Ross Lyon seems to have no idea what his players strengths are imo

Out:
Ballantyne - 2 tackles in 3 weeks, little to no fwd pressure.
McCarthy - Looks lost
Johnson

In:
Stefan Giro
Michael Apeness
Taylor Duman

Lineup
FB: Duman, Pearce, Ryan
HB: Blakely, Hamling, Wilson
C: Hill, Fyfe, Langdon
HF: Neale, Cox, Banfield
FF: Matera, Apeness, Walters

Ruck: Sandilands, Mundy, Brayshaw

Interchange: Tucker, D. Pearce, Giro, Cerra

if Sandilands is out, we are heading for a 10 goal plus loss regardless of the changes. Talk of dropping Stephen Hill at this stage is madness. He has been tagged for the vast majority of his career. Other coaches rate him, metres gained, great kick. Injuries have slowed him this year, but to say he has had a average career to this point is pathetic / forgetful and massively hot takeish. But lets drop him after his first game in after injury. May as give Fyfe a rest while you are at it. Also lets slam the small forwards on a day where our supply was down against a good clearance team. Our first year players have done well so far. Buckle down and get ready for tough losses in trying to develop players

Seems Wall's has forgotten about Clark, De Boer, Suban, Barlow, Mzungu being let go. Also Balla's did make all Australian and win a Sandover. Wall,s is a tosser looking for a headline.
This. That argument is absolutely shocking. Pearce has hardly played this year... which makes it 3 vs 4. Hardly a difference there. As you said we let go guy's who clearly had more to give already ...
The only good point is that Johnson has gone past his best, I'd actually argue Pearce is playing better football for us now than he did in the past.
Ballas was a very good player.

Pretty disrespectful. Ballas was wonderful a while back. Was hoping he'd offer a bit more this year, but it doesn't look like it is to be. Unfortunately the forward cupboard is dry. We have delisted a sh*t ton of players and we all know Ballantyne is next on the chopping block. They can't all go immediately.

I agree but Freo please play him were he he is best suited and thats not half back. Wing or mid if you don't mind Ross.;)
Yep out of all changes shilly must and I mean MUST be thrown back in the guts

He needs it and our midfield desperately needs it.

I look at the spankers up the road and see someone like gaff just about lock for 2nd AA (deservedly so)and it s so frustrating see our own like for like player (talent wise)in shilly floundering away as a bottom 8 player for us atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back