Preview R11: Changes vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to bring in some of out best young players.
ROB survives with Berg out.

Ins: Ryan, Curtin, Schoenberg, Gollant, Dowling, Berry
Outs: Smith, Jones, Rankine inj, Himmelberg inj, Murphy, McHenry

B: Michaelanny, Butts, Hamill
HB: Laird, Keane, Hinge
C: Sholl, Soligo, Nankervis
HF: Schoenberg, Walker, Keays
F: Cook, Fogarty, Gollant
R: O’Brien, Dawson, Rachele
I: Ryan, Crouch, Curtin, Dowling
Sub: Berry

Time to bring in some of out best young players.
ROB survives with Berg out.

Ins: Ryan, Curtin, Schoenberg, Gollant, Dowling, Berry
Outs: Smith, Jones, Rankine inj, Himmelberg inj, Murphy, McHenry

B: Michaelanny, Butts, Hamill
HB: Laird, Keane, Hinge
C: Sholl, Soligo, Nankervis
HF: Schoenberg, Walker, Keays
F: Cook, Fogarty, Gollant
R: O’Brien, Dawson, Rachele
I: Ryan, Crouch, Curtin, Dowling
Sub: Berry

Wishful thinking, not going to happen. End.

The end of game was THEIR fault!
We trained to go slow and defensive. We made the call as soon as we got in front, even though there was still plenty of time left. We were dominating the quarter by being aggressive. As soon as we went defensive, we gave Collingwood the advantage.
The only reason we beat Carlton was because we got in front so late and their wasn't enough time for us to blow it by going full defensive.
It's the coaching that's the problem.

Did we? Not sure if you have read the Roar article which goes through the last few minutes play by play
The key criticism throughout is that we played to fast and aggressive (and recklessly) in the last few minutes which gifted the Pies the opportunity to win
The one thing we didn’t do was slow it down and take time off the clock once we hit the front

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did we? Not sure if you have read the Roar article which goes through the last few minutes play by play
The key criticism throughout is that we played to fast and aggressive (and recklessly) in the last few minutes which gifted the Pies the opportunity to win
The one thing we didn’t do was slow it down and take time off the clock once we hit the front

Which just shows how ****ing dumb we are.

There was still nearly 4 minutes left when we hit the front so it was the correct play to try to score again but stuffed it up with the ROB shot on goal and then the Keays shot on goal which end up as a turnover and allowed Collingwood to kick the goal with 2 minutes left. If any of them were behind, it would have allow us to setup behind the ball and try to gain possession to slow down the play.

Falling behind by 5 goals in the first half of a game really isn't a huge margin these days, happens to a lot of teams. Sydney fell behind by 4 goals early and then killed Carlton. Collingwood themselves had to claw back from a s**t position in the ANZAC day game and should have been buried if Langford could convert a very simple set shot late. Momentum shifts happen in almost every game, just need to capitalise when you have it.

Our inability to convert I50s when we had momentum was the major deciding factor in our loss, not trailing by a few goals early; we had the game on our terms from the 10 minute mark of the 2nd quarter and more than enough forward half territory to be winning. Conversion I50 had been our strength the 5 weeks prior too and all of last year (number one in the comp), so of course that's frustrating as we are clearly capable enough.

Play like we did against Collingwood in the Geelong, Essendon, Melbourne and Brisbane games at home and Freo game away and we win at least three of those (instead of 1 draw and 4 losses), that's where the other major frustration lies for me and where the season has been lost, consistency. I do think consistency will come and I don't think it's that far away, but I also understand that's hard to contemplate as we sit here right now and I know missing finals for 7 years is not an easy pill to swallow. It sucks.
There was that old thread about the Neil Craig special but cmndstab has really identified the Matthew Nicks special.

In 5 of our last 20 games we have been 5+ goals behind in the middle two quarters, heroically come back only to fall short. (Collingwood, Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Collingwood).

I’d need to see some data before I could be satisfied that this is the natural course of momentum swings in close games. Feels like an alarming trend to me (both the digging of holes and the inability to get over the line late).

Add to that Brisbane where we were down by 22 in the last quarter and lost by 6. Brisbane again where we were down by 18 in the last quarter and drew.

So that’s 7 of our last 20 games where we have come from the clouds only to fall short.

And it would be stretching the pattern but Essendon down by 21 in Q2 and lost by 3 (admittedly having gone as far as 3 goals up in the meantime).

There was that old thread about the Neil Craig special but cmndstab has really identified the Matthew Nicks special.

In 5 of our last 20 games we have been 5+ goals behind in the middle two quarters, heroically come back only to fall short. (Collingwood, Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Collingwood).

I’d need to see some data before I could be satisfied that this is the natural course of momentum swings in close games. Feels like an alarming trend to me (both the digging of holes and the inability to get over the line late).

Add to that Brisbane where we were down by 22 in the last quarter and lost by 6. Brisbane again where we were down by 18 in the last quarter and drew.

So that’s 7 of our last 20 games where we have come from the clouds only to fall short.

And it would be stretching the pattern but Essendon down by 21 in Q2 and lost by 3 (admittedly having gone as far as 3 goals up in the meantime).
It's definitely an issue. Obviously we've lost a lot of close ones but many of the close losses follow a pattern like this where we are trying to run over the top of a team who had the lead late in the game, not for example a close game throughout where we just fall short at the end. We've had some other close losses where we were ahead much of the game (Collingwood at home last year for example) but they are the exception for sure, and we've done well in some consistently close games too.

Often we've given up the lead with a flurry of goals in a short period of time too, as we did on Saturday. The hope would be this is related to being an inexperienced team that struggles to be consistent across a whole game against good opposition, and will improve as the group plays together more. Will need to actually demonstrate that, though.

So burgess’s fitness is getting us back in the game, now we just need some coaches who can get us going at the start of a game.

It's definitely an issue. Obviously we've lost a lot of close ones but many of the close losses follow a pattern like this where we are trying to run over the top of a team who had the lead late in the game, not for example a close game throughout where we just fall short at the end. We've had some other close losses where we were ahead much of the game (Collingwood at home last year for example) but they are the exception for sure, and we've done well in some consistently close games too.

Often we've given up the lead with a flurry of goals in a short period of time too, as we did on Saturday. The hope would be this is related to being an inexperienced team that struggles to be consistent across a whole game against good opposition, and will improve as the group plays together more. Will need to actually demonstrate that, though.
You would think inexperience would relate more like north where they hang with them early and then get blown away the longer the game goes.

We just can't deal with expectation. That's why we come out so flat against Sydney last year and Essendon this year, and why we can't close out any of the games that are close late.

We've also had games where we've started on fire and still shit the bed late. GWS and Collingwood at home last year being examples.

Blaming our poor start for Saturday's loss feels like another "blame the players" cop out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the MCG on Saturday and we paid less than $40 for excellent tickets in the Olympic Stand.

The equivalent seats at Adelaide Oval cost between $85 and $120 for a one-off purchase.

There is no doubt that Sunday will have a below average crowd, possibly even as low as the Pear average crowd this year.
With nicks as our coach the crowds will continue to get worse. The season is over, play the kids.

Out:
McHenry - reserves only please
Smith - retire Brodie. I've never seen a good player drop away so quickly. Was barely able to plod around.
In:
Schoenberg
Curtin

Is Pedlar ready? If so
Out: Murphy
In: Berry

Rankine - In the rooms after the game I saw him walking around normally with no limp. How bad is the hammy? Long term/short term?
Out: Rankine
In: Pedlar (if recovered enough to at least play with a stinger)
Any info on rankine? Need to work out whether I sell him or keep for supercoach.

Given we got within a kick, expect nothing less than a Nicksy special of "backing the boys in"

Absolutely only forced changes here - One of Pedlar/Berry/Shoenburg for Rankine and Burgess or Gollant for Himmelburg. That is it. Don't get your hopes up for anything else.

Even though this would be a good game to blood all the youngsters to give them a taste, Nicks is completely desperate as even he would know a loss here would mean Finals totally done.

Its a bit of a sad state of affairs isn't it...

Last edited:

Even the Richmond game round 2 we got 7 goals down, levelled up early in the last quarter only to fall in a heap again and lose by 5 goals

Even the Richmond game round 2 we got 7 goals down, levelled up early in the last quarter only to fall in a heap again and lose by 5 goals

Geelong game we fell behind by a few goals early, got the lead in the 3rd, then lost by 3 goals. Tbh, I think if you look at most teams, there would be very few games where a team dominates the entire game these days. Momentum shifts are quite common and 5 goal leads no longer feel safe at any stage of a game anymore, especially with the 6-6-6 rule.

Sounds like Pedlar is in based on a quote in the injury report so I'd assume he replaces Rankine in a fwd/mid role. Not common for us to put somebody back into the 22 after a month off but there you go.

Gollant for Berg.

Hoping we can find space for Schoenberg somewhere.

I doubt they'll risk the shoulder first up in the AFL.

With nicks as our coach the crowds will continue to get worse. The season is over, play the kids.
Are our home crowd this year the highest since 2017? Do you attend home matches?

The Western Stand has been at 70% full in recent years but have been close to 100% most games this year. I was surprised that there was more than 40,000 on Mothers’ Day afternoon. Last year the Brisbane game had 33,188 on a Sunday in late May.

I would consider playing both ROB and Strachan this week and hopefully (no forced change) we can bring on another runner mid way through the third quarter.

Last edited:
Not sure where to put this, but can someone please tell Ned 'not Harley Reid' McHenry that he's 5 foot 6 and 70 kg? As such he does not have the required abilities to try the fend off. It may have worked once when he was 12, but it has not worked since - no matter how many times he tries it (including the very rare, double unsuccessful fend off tried last weekend).
Coaches need to sit him down and tell him it is something he needs to leave aside. He needs to bury it. He needs to forget it.
He tries it at least once a week and it fails every single time. In fact if he could learn that he's actually not evasive at all and just give off to the first option, it would be better for everyone.

Shame about Berg after a good 4 weeks, hopefully only the one game out. Burgess or Gollant replace him I guess

Pedlar for Rankine looks likely

Schoenberg for McHenry and Sholl relegated to sub

Would love to see Dowling or Ryan as well and both McHenry and Sholl are out, but that seems unlikely
Surely Pedlar needs a week or two in the SANFL to test the shoulder? Would be very risky to bring him straight in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back