Preview R11: Changes vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones is playing on the wing. Imho he had the better of Lipinski last week.

Lipinski is a good footballer and has looked dangerous tonight against Freo.
Jones is playing more as a defensive wingman.

He has been shutting down some decent opponents, but he's not being as offensive as last year.

Doesn't look like he is covering the ground as well as last year since his foot injury.

Imo, we should consider using him in defence to fully fit & using like of Nankervis or Hinge more off a wing.

Sure Smith has been improved the last couple of weeks but Hamill has also been fine. Why exactly does Smith automatically get the last defender spot? And you also didn’t mention Jones, who has been average to complete arse all season. Why doesn’t he come out? Dropping Hamill is fine - let’s face it, he’s unlikely to make it - but it’s still utterly blah.
Smith's form has been far worse than Hamill's this year... so we drop the player who may actually have a future in better form.

Honestly think the selectors are blind drunk.

Has McHenry had any games where you have thought wow?
Me? No. Never.
We need to be getting games into players which have upside, even if they don't end up making it.
This, which is also why we need to get Curtin back in, preferably at rebound half back or a wing (Smith, out), and pick Dowling asap (Laird returns to HB).

Lipinski is a good footballer and has looked dangerous tonight against Freo. Some posters only notice the bad stuff players do and ignore the good stuff if they are on their “shoot him to the moon” list.

Last week Chayce had 19 disposals and 452 metres gained. Other than Sholl against the Kanga Cones, that is arguably the best game by a Crow wingman this year.

As for Schoenberg, I had just about given up on him last year but he was O.K. When he came back into the AFL late last season. He has a lot of whipping boy potential.
Oh for Christ sake if you’re quoting disposal numbers and metres gained for Jones last week you’re having a laugh.

His disposal, decision making and basically everything he did with ball in hand were putrid for the entire game.

Oh for Christ sake if you’re quoting disposal numbers and metres gained for Jones last week you’re having a laugh.

His disposal, decision making and basically everything he did with ball in hand were putrid for the entire game.
His disposal efficiency was better than Nick BOG Daicos and just below Jordan Dawson.

Both teams brought players up to the stoppages and it was very difficult for midfielders to get clean ball unless they were seagulling on the periphery like Lachie Sholl.

Haters gunna hate, I guess.

His disposal efficiency was better than Nick BOG Daicos and just below Jordan Dawson.

Both teams brought players up to the stoppages and it was very difficult for midfielders to get clean ball unless they were seagulling on the periphery like Lachie Sholl.

Comparing the disposal efficiency of a player who played 0 minutes as an inside mid with players who played the majority of the game as inside mids is not really ideal. The entire “disposal efficiency” stat is misleading too as a terrible 20m kick to a contest that gets spoiled out of bounds counts as 100% efficient because it didn’t get marked by an opponent, or go through for a behind, or go out on the full. It’s a junk stat.

If I get a spare couple of hours this weekend I will go back and review, then provide a summary of Chayce’s 15 kicks against Collingwood, including how much pressure he was under / whether the kick was in general play or from a mark / free kick etc. I don’t normally have too much of an issue with Chayce’s quality of disposal or decision making (my issue is usually that he doesn’t get it enough or provide any hurt factor, and I feel he’s much better utilised in defence than on a wing), but felt this was one of the worst games I had seen from him in that regard watching live.

Can't fathom selection policy this week either, don't think they have any handle on what their doing, just stabbing in the dark.

McFlurry finally dropped, let's not ever see him back in the seniors - he's a bust Nicks, is not an AFL footballer.

As usual, we can't seem to take a step forward without taking one backwards as well.

McHenry being dropped is obviously the correct move. Let's see if they make him earn his place back in the side... I won't hold my breath.

On the other hand, I am absolutely not a fan of Hamill, but last week was in my estimation the first AFL-worthy game he has played in years. I don't understand why he would get dropped this week. Fine if they want to play three tall defenders, but there are plenty of other options who performed worse than him.

Happy to see Berry and Schoenberg back in the side. I haven't written either of them off yet. Feels like Berry is the likely sub, but it could just as easily be Cook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lipinski is a good footballer and has looked dangerous tonight against Freo. Some posters only notice the bad stuff players do and ignore the good stuff if they are on their “shoot him to the moon” list.

Last week Chayce had 19 disposals and 452 metres gained. Other than Sholl against the Kanga Cones, that is arguably the best game by a Crow wingman this year.

Jones is playing more as a defensive wingman.

He has been shutting down some decent opponents, but he's not being as offensive as last year.

Doesn't look like he is covering the ground as well as last year since his foot injury.

Imo, we should consider using him in defence to fully fit & using like of Nankervis or Hinge more off a wing.
Might have been an idea to play him against a rampaging J Daicos if that was the case. Not sure shutting down Lipinski is high on the list of ways to beat Collingwood.

Jones is the footballer you have when you're not having a footballer. He's out there but he doesn't influence anything.

Maybe a day will come when I watch Zac Butters and my blood doesn't boil thinking about Hamish plucking his fellow Tasmanian Jones into the top 10 ahead him. When you add in McHenry as a 1st round pick, this draft really was (or should've been) the nail in the Ogilvy coffin.

Most were surprised when Hamill got recalled. I thought he was pretty much done with the concussions.

Then he does well. An actual win for the selectors. Nice work guys. Good stuff. More of that please.

Then...

Just take the win.

I blame my partner; she just got home from work and I was listening to the post-work stories breakdown.
Her boss is being transferred.
She had a good day (wasn't abused by Customers, always a good day).
Had a good lunch, freebie, and that's the 24 minutes right there.

If you can do all that in 24 minutes….

You’re going too fast 🤣🤣🤣🤣

As usual, we can't seem to take a step forward without taking one backwards as well.

McHenry being dropped is obviously the correct move. Let's see if they make him earn his place back in the side... I won't hold my breath.

On the other hand, I am absolutely not a fan of Hamill, but last week was in my estimation the first AFL-worthy game he has played in years. I don't understand why he would get dropped this week. Fine if they want to play three tall defenders, but there are plenty of other options who performed worse than him.

Happy to see Berry and Schoenberg back in the side. I haven't written either of them off yet. Feels like Berry is the likely sub, but it could just as easily be Cook.
Yeah I like Berry but him in the midfield with Crouch and Laird isn’t a great combination IMO which means he’s more likely to be shoehorned into a different role.

Maybe he plays as the extra stoppage mid starting from HF

Daicos was noticeably sloppy with the ball last week and ended up with 41 disposals (22 contested) with 6 turnovers… Chayce was noticeably sloppy with the ball last week and ended up with 19 disposals (4 contested) with 6 turnovers… that is, 1 in every 3 Jones disposals ended up with the ball in Coingwoods hands, despite most of the those disposals being uncontested.

He has been ordinary all year and others who have played better football than him are more deserving of a spot in the team than he is.

I’m sure Sydney, Carlton and GWS supporters felt the same at mid season of 2023 too! IF we won our next 3 and knocked off Sydney at home, those games don’t look as scary. Big IF though as our form this year would dictate it’s unlikely we are winning our next 4 anyway.

We will do stupid things like beat Sydney and lose to Richmond.

Most were surprised when Hamill got recalled. I thought he was pretty much done with the concussions.

Then he does well. An actual win for the selectors. Nice work guys. Good stuff. More of that please.

Then...

Just take the win.
Freo struggled to contain Hill last night too, just shows how good his game was last week. He didn’t let Hill have any free space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back