Review R11 v Saints - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Champion Data tables. We won everything except clearances and intercepts - lost them both by 1.

I like that Lienert's 675m gained isn't in green ie not 30% more than his average. One day the bloke will have 25~28 kicks and he will get a 1,000 meters gained.

First time this year our actual score was greater than our Expected score 139 v 124. Closest we have been has been the Richmond game 92 v 93 (kicked 14.8) and against Carlton in the wet 83 v 87. s**t we had 37 shots from 60 inside 50's and that's another high for the year.

I though Marshall for the Saints played well in ruck especially around the ground, but Lycett had a big first half and Ryder a good second half. Lycett had 14 hit outs to advantage of 32 and Ryder 7 of 20. Marshall only got 6 of 24.

1559635736961.png

1559635790796.png

Looking forward to another team playing the Saints in the next 2 years as mentioned by Derwayne.
D'Wayne is either a complete idiot or just being mischievous. We've learnt from the Gold Coast guernsey fiasco that Koch isn't good with contract details but I doubt the board would have signed off on a contract which allows St Kilda to exclude us from the China game after this year.

I also doubt that Gui Guojie would be to happy about being told by the AFL that he was now bankrolling a game involving teams of their choosing.

Champion Data tables. We won everything except clearances and intercepts - lost them both by 1.

I like that Lienert's 675m gained isn't in green ie not 30% more than his average. One day the bloke will have 25~28 kicks and he will get a 1,000 meters gained.

First time this year our actual score was greater than our Expected score 139 v 124. Closest we have been has been the Richmond game 92 v 93 (kicked 14.8) and against Carlton in the wet 83 v 87. **** we had 37 shots from 60 inside 50's and that's another high for the year.

I though Marshall for the Saints played well in ruck especially around the ground, but Lycett had a big first half and Ryder a good second half. Lycett had 14 hit outs to advantage of 32 and Ryder 7 of 20. Marshall only got 6 of 24.

View attachment 686759

View attachment 686760

14 HO's to advantage is a bloody good effort.

I knew Farrell didn't have much of a game, but outside of his 2 goals in the second quarter he had only two touches and one tackle. Probably won't get booted as we had a big win, but he really need to find ways to impact the game for longer.

Watching the replay again .. Robbie handballed more than 3 times to a St Kilda player

Yeah, I reckon each of those was because of the jumper clash. Robbie's an instinct player, he doesn't have time to think - sees a black jumper, knows it's the right option. Personally I reckon we should have gone in in clash. Just not the awful grey one please.

Good win but I'm not getting my hopes up this time.
It was a very good win and I am getting my hopes up.
Doooogs up forward,
Houston in the guts
Robbie back to being Robbie
Lycett finding form
Trav powering on
Butters slick hands
Bonner really showing something that might end up being pretty special.
Plenty of other players doing good things too.

Above all of ^ our link up play in ball movement away from stoppages looked organised for once..... at last
Throw in straight kicking and it was a lot more than a good win.
Of course it's only right to see how we go v Freo but carn all of us we done good and should be happy.
I am

Trav's average fantasy points are 112? That's phenomenal. Could he be a real chance for Brownlow?
There's probably two main criteria for winning the Brownlow these days:
- Be a goal-kicking midfielder (Priddis and Tom/Sam Mitchell the exceptions) :heavycheck:
- Be a "recognised" player (2xAA, Boak was =4th for in Brownlow count in 2014) :heavycheck:

He's in career-best form, 3rd in disposals, 4th in inside 50s, 7th in clearances, and has had 30+ touches and 1+ goal 5 times this year, more than any other player. A long way to go yet, but if he keep it up he'll be right up there for sure.

- Be a goal-kicking midfielder (Priddis and Tom/Sam Mitchell the exceptions) :heavycheck:
- Be a "recognised" player (2xAA, Boak was =4th for in Brownlow count in 2014) :heavycheck:

He's in career-best form, 3rd in disposals, 4th in inside 50s, 7th in clearances, and has had 30+ touches and 1+ goal 5 times this year, more than any other player. A long way to go yet, but if he keep it up he'll be right up there for sure.

Add in there's no obvious player that would pinch votes. Gray's form has only just come on and Wines has been a non-factor. Rockliff doesn't usually attract votes either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked by the umpires is another big one.

I called Daniel Kerr finishing high in 2005 off the back of umpires clearly loving him.

Trav's average fantasy points are 112? That's phenomenal. Could he be a real chance for Brownlow?

I struggle to pick more than a few names that would be up there with him at the moment. And most have a knock on them.

Coniglio - Injury had curtailed him a little, but he has had quite a few BOGs.
Andrew Gaff - missed early rounds though.
Lachie Whitfield - His injury had killed his momentum now. Plus on the same team as Coniglio.
Brodie Grundy - Not a midfielder.
Lachie Neale - Is he damaging enough? Although Priddis won it.

I can't understand why Travis isn't balls deep in the race. A proven vote getter in the past too.

Brodie Grundy does a lot of the second effort work that can bring him to the umpires attention.

The dominant ruckmen who normally miss out on votes are the ones who just win the taps to their midfielders. And the midfielders are then the ones that get the votes after the ruckman spent the game giving them the ball on a silver platter.

I struggle to pick more than a few names that would be up there with him at the moment. And most have a knock on them.

Coniglio - Injury had curtailed him a little, but he has had quite a few BOGs.
Andrew Gaff - missed early rounds though.
Lachie Whitfield - His injury had killed his momentum now. Plus on the same team as Coniglio.
Lachie Neale - Is he damaging enough? Although Priddis won it.

I can't understand why Travis isn't balls deep in the race. A proven vote getter in the past too.
The one you left out was Cripps. His last 2 or 3 games have been so-so, but he was BOG almost every week before then. And there are no teammates taking votes off him.

The one you left out was Cripps. His last 2 or 3 games have been so-so, but he was BOG almost every week before then. And there are no teammates taking votes off him.
Tim Kelly is another one. Having a great year and leading the coaches award. Got votes last year.

No teammates, but plenty of opponents. It's always harder to get votes in a losing side. Certainly not impossible, but harder.

Cripps had a purple patch of three to four weeks. But his team was still losing.

The problem for him is that although he's prominent in the coaches award, they have far more slots to fit in votes for other players.

I reckon Boak would have 12-15 votes at the half way mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back