Autopsy R14, 2017: Swans vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

What happened? Was it after siren?

nah it was after Hurley kicked that goal to put us up by 19. Was a huge punch up, some bloke had a massive bleeding nose. Cant remember if he has a bomber or swans fan but either way was a few people involved.

Congratulation guys on your hard fought win. As an opposition supporter, it would be remiss of me not to mention the fantastic one -percenter of Tom Papley with his smother on Goddard's kickout. IMO, the one desparate action that won the game for your team. More emphasis & praise in the media should be placed on this action, than Goddard's clanger.

Congratulation guys on your hard fought win. As an opposition supporter, it would be remiss of me not to mention the fantastic one -percenter of Tom Papley with his smother on Goddard's kickout. IMO, the one desparate action that won the game for your team. More emphasis & praise in the media should be placed on this action, than Goddard's clanger.

Swans never win games. They are only present when other teams lose games.

Rule 6, subsection b: AFL media policy

Swans never win games. They are only present when other teams lose games.

Rule 6, subsection b: AFL media policy
I know Gerard Whately made specific reference to what our players did right in those final minutes.

I know Gerard Whately made specific reference to what our players did right in those final minutes.

There's a bias against failure - probably born from the dominance of ex players/coaches in the Media. They demand losing players accept accountability and 'learn lessons' from losses.

Sometimes the fact an opponent just earned it gets overlooked.

In a close loss it's not so glaring. But when we pumped the Dogs, it was their failure that was highlighted by all and sundry, not our dominance.

Roos infamously calling that Richmond loss to GCS the worst minute in football, and also referring to Essendon 'butchering' it in the final moments is a pretty good case study of this phenomenon of demanding only excellence at all times.

Non playing journalists should be able to see it more clearly. But there's not many of them out there.

I will say that McAvaney nailed the Rohan moment and his commentary afterwards about us being 0-6 and now in the 8 was brilliant.

You can tell the former footy players and dud commentators who in those moments just go "WAAAAAAAAA!!" (like the radio call posted above) - from the professional commentators who somehow describe the moment and the emotion at the same time.
To be fair to that massive flog BT he did well with "They can't believe it... I can't believe...he can't believe it"

Speaking of duds, how is Hurley feeling this week? Was flopping about like a bunny when Newman kicked his goal, then got owned by Rohan on the goal line to lose the match. LOL

He's not feeling as strong as he did a few years back for some reason?

You can tell the former footy players and dud commentators who in those moments just go "WAAAAAAAAA!!" (like the radio call posted above) - from the professional commentators who somehow describe the moment and the emotion at the same time.
To be fair to that massive flog BT he did well with "They can't believe it... I can't believe...he can't believe it"

Speaking of duds, how is Hurley feeling this week? Was flopping about like a bunny when Newman kicked his goal, then got owned by Rohan on the goal line to lose the match. LOL

He's not feeling as strong as he did a few years back for some reason?
That wasn't Hurley. It was Gleeson I'm pretty sure.

Edit: Put in the correct name to make me seem more knowledgeable.

Last edited:
Ah, that would explain all this stuff I'm hearing about Papley's mother. Everyone saying how good she was.

Won the match for us, no less.;)

Rampe and Parker fined for rough conduct during the game, afl must be hard up on cash, getting pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He lied. Flatout lied. And not just that but went out of his way to defame & attack our club using those lies. People who only saw that & nothing else would be getting stuck into our club for not playing along or being "precious". Possibly impacting sponsorship $ and potential future membership etc etc.

It's not good enough that he can just spout absolute rubbish as facts during & after a game. He needs to be pulled up & punished for all the crap he says & does.

Further to this, do you think it's good having him walk in on coaches meetings post game? Impede our players warmdowns (vital for injury prevention & longjevity)? He obviously doesn't follow the wishes or directions of the clubs... so many "ohhh, don't think we're allowed to be here/doing this" etc.

I don't want him ruining the feeling in the rooms after a win or loss. I don't want him impeding our club. And I certainly don't want him rubbishing our club based on lies.

It's just not funny. It's not insightful. It's not professional. It's more rubbish TV that has no point other than "drama" & what they think is humour. He's a joke & covers the fact he's crap at his job with "humour", loudness & now (it seems) sooky whinging lies.
The club should demand an apology from him and channel 7. These boofheads need to be put on notice that the lies they spread can have negative impacts on the game.

Huh, OK I'm very much in the minority it seems.

I just don't take BT seriously, he's much more enjoyable when you stop expecting him to be a "professional". 90% of Australian sports commentary is garbage anyway. I'd much rather have rubbish coming out of BT's mouth than Basil Zempilas or Dwayne Russell attempting to be serious.
I'm the same. I don't mind him trying to be a showman and make the calls a bit of fun. However when he uses national television to spread absolute lies and jeopardise potentiak future sponsorship of that club, he needs to be punished. If I was a potential sponsor and I heard those lies said about the Swans, Id be looking elsewhere

I'm the same. I don't mind him trying to be a showman and make the calls a bit of fun. However when he uses national television to spread absolute lies and jeopardise potentiak future sponsorship of that club, he needs to be punished. If I was a potential sponsor and I heard those lies said about the Swans, Id be looking elsewhere

I highly doubt anything Brian Taylor says would seriously alter the line of thinking of any corporation looking to invest money into a football club. I think that's severely overestimating the severity of the situation.

I highly doubt anything Brian Taylor says would seriously alter the line of thinking of any corporation looking to invest money into a football club. I think that's severely overestimating the severity of the situation.

And severely underestimating the corporation in question.

There's a bias against failure - probably born from the dominance of ex players/coaches in the Media. They demand losing players accept accountability and 'learn lessons' from losses.

Sometimes the fact an opponent just earned it gets overlooked.

In a close loss it's not so glaring. But when we pumped the Dogs, it was their failure that was highlighted by all and sundry, not our dominance.

Roos infamously calling that Richmond loss to GCS the worst minute in football, and also referring to Essendon 'butchering' it in the final moments is a pretty good case study of this phenomenon of demanding only excellence at all times.

Non playing journalists should be able to see it more clearly. But there's not many of them out there.

There's only a bias towards failure when a Victorian team fails.

We didn't hear boo about the Swans' mistakes when they lost to the Pies and Hawks.

But wasn't our performance completely dependent on JPK, Hannebery and Parker??!!

I know you're being facetious but one thing I have really enjoyed about this season is that our young brigade is genuinely starting to take over. Parker and Hanners are in their prime and JPK will be around for another 5 years at least but it's names like Newman, Mills and Heeney that will be in our best players more often than not over the next decade. They're not just contributing but they're carrying us in some games and showing maturity and leadership.

And severely underestimating the corporation in question.
You don't think Citibank or QBE would be asking questions of the Swans after those comments. It would be remiss of them not to. It's the national broadcaster on a Friday night block buster. Huge exposure.

Could be you're the one underestimating

Remove this Banner Ad

Back