Preview R14: Changes v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would prefer Jones play on Butler. Doesn't look like much but he constantly moves the ball on quickly and rarely misses a target. I actually hope he runs loose and has a 30 possie, 12 mark game to help my UF team.

Never had much love for Hurn. Seems to have a handful of exciting 60 metre kicks and 10 odd other not great possessions and people only remember the drilled long passes and think he's great.

Hurn only needs it 15 times to real hurt you. Probably the best kick in the AFL, not just because of length but also accuracy over a distance and penetration, how flat and quick it gets to the intended target.

Hurn only needs it 15 times to real hurt you. Probably the best kick in the AFL, not just because of length but also accuracy over a distance and penetration, how flat and quick it gets to the intended target.

Wouldn't say he's the best, but he has a very good boot. Only averages 15 odd possies a game, probably 12 of those are kicks, 4 or 5 might be his trademark long passes and not all will hit the target. I wouldn't let him run amok but I'd rather put time into a lot of other players before him.

Wouldn't say he's the best, but he has a very good boot. Only averages 15 odd possies a game, probably 12 of those are kicks, 4 or 5 might be his trademark long passes and not all will hit the target. I wouldn't let him run amok but I'd rather put time into a lot of other players before him.

We shall beg to differ, I think hes a freak at spotting up targets 60m away from kick ins, he sets up a lot of attack for them IMO. Interested to know who you rate as a better kick than Hurn?

Brodie Smith from the Crows the other who probably springs to mind for me (although injured a lot this season), another who can set up a coast to coast from deep in defence.

We shall beg to differ, I think hes a freak at spotting up targets 60m away from kick ins, he sets up a lot of attack for them IMO. Interested to know who you rate as a better kick than Hurn?

Brodie Smith from the Crows the other who probably springs to mind for me (although injured a lot this season), another who can set up a coast to coast from deep in defence.

hurns a good player but is having a pretty average year by his standards. being asked to captain the side and often takes a key defender. he's not as free to run about and spot up targets off the back 50

I think Hurn is the one when talking damage.

Hill also does high damage but is less reliable, especially over short distances.

Smith does more damage through his run, can kick a long way but not with Hurn's precision.

Goddard is probably close to the best all round kick going, hits corridor passes, hits goals from 50+ and has good penetration.

When looking at our list we've probably only got four who we could label better than good kicks - Watts, Salem, Jones and Vince (Jones and Vince don't do a heap of damage either apart from goals, and as inside mids that's fair enough).

Jetta and Dunn the next most reliable, still a big gap from those down to our worst in the 22.

Pressing issue for us still.

I think Hurn is the one when talking damage.

Hill also does high damage but is less reliable, especially over short distances.

Smith does more damage through his run, can kick a long way but not with Hurn's precision.

Goddard is probably close to the best all round kick going, hits corridor passes, hits goals from 50+ and has good penetration.

When looking at our list we've probably only got four who we could label better than good kicks - Watts, Salem, Jones and Vince (Jones and Vince don't do a heap of damage either apart from goals, and as inside mids that's fair enough).

Jetta and Dunn the next most reliable, still a big gap from those down to our worst in the 22.

Pressing issue for us still.

I must admit i haven't seen as much of Hurn as previous years so I may very well be wrong.

I would have had Goddard right up there as well before this season. He is still racking the ball up but has anyone else noticed the complete drop off in his kicking? Both distance and accuracy wise, it sure isn't what it used to be from what ive seen this season. Suckling and Malceski the other great kicks to drop off the face of the earth this season as well.

Watts field kicking is easily our best. Id probably have Salem second, Vince third. Bernie still bombs away a touch too much (prefer this to sideways targets under pressure though) but he is still very good at hitting up a forward on the lead. (see kick to Hogan in Saints game with 1:45ish left in 4th quarter)

Jetta's transformation from 'delist the hack' to absolute gun backman has been nothing short of remarkable, his disposal under pressure this year has really impressed me, so confident in himself, never rushed, while it will never be damaging I think he finds more targets/makes good decisions under heavy pressure than anyone else at Melbourne does.

Dunn is so hot and cold with his kicking, looks a million bucks one week, a vfl hack the next. Guess he's sorta like our own poor mans Hurn (by foot when on)

Last edited:
hurns a good player but is having a pretty average year by his standards. being asked to captain the side and often takes a key defender. he's not as free to run about and spot up targets off the back 50

Yea having McKenzie and Brown gone for the year probably hasn't helped. He has had to probably play much taller than he should this year and work on his defensive side of his game a bit more. Get those two back and it probably free's him up to be a bit more attacking and creative.

Goddards kicking has definitely dropped off, think his body is just getting towards the end.

Salem is our best kick IMO, followed by Watts. We do seem to lack quality ball users but we have slowly eliminated the hacks (Once Bail and M Jonea are gone we should be ok).

Also quickly on McGovern, he won't take a dangerous forward so he can chop the ball off with minimum risk, we have to defend him really well and I think we can considering what we did to Geelongs defence. Still think they will cover us all over the ground and win by 4-5 goals, but we have shown we can make these attacking defenders accountable.

Also quickly on McGovern, he won't take a dangerous forward so he can chop the ball off with minimum risk, we have to defend him really well and I think we can considering what we did to Geelongs defence. Still think they will cover us all over the ground and win by 4-5 goals, but we have shown we can make these attacking defenders accountable.

ANB was on Harry Taylor, I think we should send him to JM and tell him do exactly what he did last week, the key is letting McGovern fly but have marketing targets bring the ball to ground, exactly what we saw against Geelong when Gawn, Howe and Dawes had 2 or 3 Geelong defenders competing with them. Halve the contest in the air then we have more men on the ground. Brings our smalls into it, get them some goals and suddenly it free's the likes of Hogan up to be 1 on 1.

Rich, Brodie Smith, Mitchell, Robbie Gray, Pendlebury, Jimmy Toumpas, etc.

Not denying its a very useful trick to have up your sleeve to break zones and such, but it all seems a bit Hollywood to me. Its like how a player kicking a goal from just outside 50 is reasonably standard fare, but you stick a handful of running bounces in front of it and its Goal of the Year territory.

When it comes down to it, I'd rather try and tag Enright than Mackie. 30 odd touches by a good decision maker are going to be more damaging than 15 or 20 odd with a few spectacular long passes from the other guy. Anyway, as you say, potato tomato...

Obviously Hogs and Garlo had to come back in, but the team feels tall to me. Jeez I hope every mother forker named is prepared to work his arse off for 120, otherwise they'll run all over us.
At this rate there may not be a game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ANB was on Harry Taylor, I think we should send him to JM and tell him do exactly what he did last week, the key is letting McGovern fly but have marketing targets bring the ball to ground, exactly what we saw against Geelong when Gawn, Howe and Dawes had 2 or 3 Geelong defenders competing with them. Halve the contest in the air then we have more men on the ground. Brings our smalls into it, get them some goals and suddenly it free's the likes of Hogan up to be 1 on 1.

Mcgovern is an absolute stud and reads the ball terrifically. The key is our delivery in the f50. We bomb it long he'll have a field day. Make him accountable and it'll be a different story. They don't really match up with our forwards well at all. We win the midfield battle and Gawn Hoges watts howe and dawes should really stretch schofield, hurn and mcgovern. If it's failing, I wouldn't mind sending howe or even garland down onto him. Just need to make sure we bring it to ground and give jeffy, anb a chance.

He's never had hoges bearing down on him so hopefully the footsteps of Hulk scare him sh*tless.

Am I the only person nervously skirting around the MFC site praying that one of those late 'pulled up sore training' announcements doesn't appear.

I'd be more concerned about a 'foot is actually tip top - Harry named to play' announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back